Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bcs Bullshit

nabuc1

BOWL TRADITION TAKES A BEATING

By LENN ROBBINS - NY Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 9, 2002 -- The next time someone wearing one of those yellow, orange, green or tangerine eyesore blazers begins waxing nostalgic about the integrity and tradition of the bowl system, hand me a barf bag.

The Orange Bowl showed no integrity and no concern for tradition when it used the first at-large BCS bowl pick on Iowa. By doing so, the Orange Bowl prevented the Rose Bowl from its traditional pairing of the Big Ten and Pac 10 champs.

Washington State, the Pac 10 champ, will face Big XII champ Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl. The Big Ten-Pac 10 showdown will be played in the Orange Bowl, where the Hawkeyes will face Southern Cal.

Iowa will bring some 30,000 fans, but unless an equal number of Trojan fans are willing to fly cross country, Orange Bowl officials had better start handing out the comp tickets now. Serves them right.

The Sugar Bowl is as intriguing as a snail race. Georgia will meet ACC champ Florida State, the first team with four losses to go to a BCS bowl game. Quick, name three Georgia starters.

Hint: Herschel Walker has completed his eligibility.

Miami has been installed as an early 111/2-point favorite to beat Ohio State and win its second straight national championship. If you like the 'Canes, take the points now. This line figures to go up.

A record number 56 Division I-A college football teams will play in bowl games this season. It is, in trade talk, their reward for a successful season.

South Florida, despite going 9-2, won't get any reward because there's no bowl game for an independent unless your name is Notre Dame. The Bulls beat bowl-bound Southern Miss and North Texas, each of which has five losses.

"I told our team before the season, 'If you go 9-2, I don't know how you're going to be kept out of bowl,' " South Florida coach Jim Leavitt told The Post. "I have to meet with the team [this afternoon] and I don't know what I'm going to tell them."

champ, will face Big XII champ Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl. The Big Ten-Pac 10 showdown will be played in the Orange Bowl, where the Hawkeyes will face Southern Cal.

Iowa will bring some 30,000 fans, but unless an equal number of Trojan fans are willing to fly cross country, Orange Bowl officials had better start handing out the comp tickets now. Serves them right.

The Sugar Bowl is as intriguing as a snail race. Georgia will meet ACC champ Florida State, the first team with four losses to go to a BCS bowl game. Quick, name three Georgia starters.

Hint: Herschel Walker has completed his eligibility.

Miami has been installed as an early 111/2-point favorite to beat Ohio State and win its second straight national championship. If you like the 'Canes, take the points now. This line figures to go up.

A record number 56 Division I-A college football teams will play in bowl games this season. It is, in trade talk, their reward for a successful season.

South Florida, despite going 9-2, won't get any reward because there's no bowl game for an independent unless your name is Notre Dame. The Bulls beat bowl-bound Southern Miss and North Texas, each of which has five losses.

"I told our team before the season, 'If you go 9-2, I don't know how you're going to be kept out of bowl,' " South Florida coach Jim Leavitt told The Post. "I have to meet with the team [this afternoon] and I don't know what I'm going to tell them."

Tell them what I tell proponents of a system that keeps a 9-2 team home. If you want tradition, go see Fiddler on the Roof.

Guest jroo
Originally posted by nabuc1

Can someone tell me how the fuck does Florida St which is 9-4 and had a horrorable year get a BCS bid over Notre Dame who is 10-2, beat FSU and had an amazing year. That is complete and utter bullshit. That should be ND in the Sugar Bowl.

i know this fuckign bullshit reminds me of the 92 season. i will forever hate florida state, and boston college, and the bcs its all so gay, fuck a bowl game they need to go to bracket play like the nfl.

Dont hate on the BCS cause Notre Dame didnt get in. I'm glad they didnt, cause it meant another team worthy of a berth wouldnt have gotten in (Iowa or USC) should Notre Dame received a bid. Had ND taken care of USC, then they would be in it. End of story.

Originally posted by jaquan

Dont hate on the BCS cause Notre Dame didnt get in. I'm glad they didnt, cause it meant another team worthy of a berth wouldnt have gotten in (Iowa or USC) should Notre Dame received a bid. Had ND taken care of USC, then they would be in it. End of story.

Oh so FSU deserved to get in. FSU sucked this year. I know, you know it, the whole fucking country knows it. I mentioned ND because they are my favorite team, but in total honesty Kansas St deserved the BCS bowl bid over FSU. Also as far as ND joining a conference, why should they. They have done fine all along as an Independent. The fact is the BCS sucks, not because my team didn't get in, but because a team like FSU did (just because they won their conference which sucked this year anyway). Next time take the time and effort to read my post before answering. I never once mentioned USC or Iowa, my complaint was about FSU and the fact that a team not even ranked in the top ten in any poll and with a 9-5 record was selected over teams with higher rankings and better records. College football is suffering because of the way bowl invites are selected. The only thing the BCs improved on was matching up #1 and #2 and that game still sucks because it is always a blow-out anyway. My perdiction, the National Championship has already been decided, Miami will have it wrapped up before the half.

Notre dame has been considering a conference for sometime now. mainly to increasex their chances into getting into top tier bowlsl (just like FSU did it) it would probably be the BIG 10 , but then they have to sever ties with the Big East (which they are a member of for all other sports)

Tell me how the hell 9-2 South Florida, who's ranked top 20 on half of the computers, beat 3 bowl teams, and only lost to Oklahoma and Arkansas, doesn't get into a bowl game at all?? Other than Alabama and Bowling Green (who only got 1 vote), every other team who got votes in the AP or USA Today polls is going bowling except the bulls. Sounds like Bull-shit to me.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya.....

Anyway, I'm opposed to the BCS system simply because it gives those conferences so much more money than smaller conferences. That money, is then in turn used to build better facilities, recruit atheletes for other sports, etc. Essentially, because of the BCS system, smaller conference schools are getting dicked over in every other NCAA sport as well.

On the other hand, if Notre Dame makes it to a BCS game (and quite frankly, they're the only non-major conference team who's able to do so under the current structure), they get to keep all the money themselves without worrying about splitting it up for the conference. It's all just wacky. Just make a 16 team playoff and get it over with. For crying out loud, if the Division III schools, the ones actually known for their academics, do a playoff, then why the hell can't a bunch of guys who would probably fail finals anyway if they didn't have tutors doing their homework for them.

Groan.

ok first things first, Notre Dame never will joinm a conference bc of $$$. Each team in a Bcs gets 13mil, but how much of that goes to them? the majority goes to their conference. If notre Dame on the other hand gets in Bcs bowl, Notre Dame Gets the check, not their conference.

Secondly, i am a die hard Irish fan, i stayed going to the games even when they had a recession for a few years. I am upset that they didn't get a bcs spot, but not totally crushed. Because there is a good chance that if they had to play Iowa, they would have been beaten. I am not knocking my team, but most of their wins did not come from skill, it came from coaching, and heart from the players, Iowa on the other hand has a lot of skill. But recruiting this year has gone through the roof. They are turning down recruits that they would have killed for in the past few years. And winning the gator bowl, which they will do, will help the recruiting alot more than loosing the orange bowl.

Besides any of you Notre Dame fan, just be patient becasue within the next 5 years I guarentee the Irish will have another National Championship under their belt.

Originally posted by jonnyblaze2001

Each team in a Bcs gets 13mil, but how much of that goes to them? the majority goes to their conference. If notre Dame on the other hand gets in Bcs bowl, Notre Dame Gets the check, not their conference.

That's what I was trying to say, and it's inherently unfair.

Originally posted by brickhouse

That's what I was trying to say, and it's inherently unfair.

So the whole system is bs. Notre Dame hasn't been in a conference forever, and they are the inningest team in college footbal history. They shouldn't be forced to join a conference because people are greedy, the system should defiantly change.

It is such bs that money runs collge football more than any other sport, pro or colligate.

the truth is that the system will never change. The major conferences (ACC, SEC, PAC-10, etc..) control college football and as long as teams from their conference keep getting automatic bids they will keep getting money and the independents and smaller conferences will keep getting the shaft, with the exception of a few other teams like ND. Even Miami could get the shaft because the Big East is not a football powerhouse. Miami and Virginia Tech get into the BCS bowls on their own merit, not because they won their conference.

yes FSU sucked, but they won their conference and the right to have their conference's BCS bid. To take that away from them or any team for that matter would be the worst thing to happen to college football. Then it means all these conference games and championships mean shit, and everyone should be an independent. You win your conference, you get the right to represent your conference in a BCS Bowl.

as for the major conferences (Big 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC, Pac 10), they do control college football because they bring in alot of money to the conference, ie TV contracts, bowl games, championship games, etc. The end of the SWC started a trend of having Super-Conferences in college football. Athlon Magazine did an article on this subject, and it showed how the landscape of college football will look like. EVERY Team will be in a conference, and those conferences will have tie-ins to bowl games. Even So. Florida will be included in a conference. The idea of being an independent will be a thing of the past in the future of college football. Superconferences will the thing of the future.

Originally posted by jaquan

yes FSU sucked, but they won their conference and the right to have their conference's BCS bid. To take that away from them or any team for that matter would be the worst thing to happen to college football. Then it means all these conference games and championships mean shit, and everyone should be an independent. You win your conference, you get the right to represent your conference in a BCS Bowl.

That is the way it is, but it also is absolute BS. How come this is the only sport run like this. Conference shouldn't determine which teams will get bids in the bcs bowls. The whole Fsu situation this year proved that. There were several other teams that deserved that spot more than them...

I just hope that in my life time NCAA football will finally get it right. They took a step in the right direction by pairing #1 & #2 in a championship game. The BCS is a good idea they just need to tune it up a bit. The only fault I see is the automatic bids, not because my favorite team is an independent, but because a good team like Kansas St. (which ranked in the top eight in all three rankings) is not even playing any major bowl nevermind a BCS bowl. Like I stated if the BCS bowls where determined by the top eight ranked teams everything would be fine and fair.