Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Twilo, Buzz and now Spundae

revaluation

I think they did arc just right...... I do miss the alcohol and stuff, but it gets rid of some of the otherwise annoying people that would come if they did serve alcohol..... but I wouldn't be too dissapointed if they started serving.

I like arc cause it's people there to listen to the music - enjoy the music and as corny as it sounds - share the music..... the people arc attracts are some of the nicest people on the planet - I'm not saying that a big club draws jerks - but you DO get a higher concentration of jerks and bitches. I like being able to walk into a club and dance actually dance instead of twisting at the waist which at times was difficult to do at Buzz. I hated Buzz when it got that packed.... usually it was people who didn't know the DJ couldn't care less about what was going on.... they came to get seen, to get f'ed up and some of them came to grab bags and such - which messed the whole thing up in the end.

What I'm trying to say is that there is a certain amount of pleasure one gets from staying up all night sober and listening to the music - literally letting the music take you. Mostly that is why I like arc - the super clubs are for the bigger names, cause you're going to get that kind of crowd anyways..... but I love the intimate setting..... there is more of a connection to the DJ and the music he/she is playing.

my $.02

Originally posted by sauvee88

I think they did arc just right...... I do miss the alcohol and stuff, but it gets rid of some of the otherwise annoying people that would come if they did serve alcohol..... but I wouldn't be too dissapointed if they started serving.

I like arc cause it's people there to listen to the music - enjoy the music and as corny as it sounds - share the music..... the people arc attracts are some of the nicest people on the planet - I'm not saying that a big club draws jerks - but you DO get a higher concentration of jerks and bitches. I like being able to walk into a club and dance actually dance instead of twisting at the waist which at times was difficult to do at Buzz. I hated Buzz when it got that packed.... usually it was people who didn't know the DJ couldn't care less about what was going on.... they came to get seen, to get f'ed up and some of them came to grab bags and such - which messed the whole thing up in the end.

What I'm trying to say is that there is a certain amount of pleasure one gets from staying up all night sober and listening to the music - literally letting the music take you. Mostly that is why I like arc - the super clubs are for the bigger names, cause you're going to get that kind of crowd anyways..... but I love the intimate setting..... there is more of a connection to the DJ and the music he/she is playing.

my $.02

well said. :)

Originally posted by sauvee88

I

.... they came to get seen, to get f'ed up and some of them came to grab bags and such - which messed the whole thing up in the end.

what do you mean by "grabbing bags"?

i remeber the last honeydew, it was fucking packed like crazy because everyone wanted to go see BT. There was some trance guy before him and you couldnt move anywhere, with BT you couldnt move anywhere, then when BT finished his set the plcae cleared itself up, i think maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the people left, which was good, 'cos all those punks ended up missing tom stephan, who was the real show.

Originally posted by vicman

i think maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the people left, which was good, 'cos all those punks ended up missing tom stephan, who was the real show.

:aright:

I love Arc as well. I've only been there a few times but its quickly become my favorite place. Good vibe, good music and for the most part cool people.

I, for one hope they never serve alcohol.

Originally posted by revaluation

that's cool....somebody playing the PR against the cops for once. So far we've taken the moral high ground -- "you can dance without drugs" -- but that shit doesn't work, and it doesn't convince people who've never been to a club. I dunno about this lapietra guy, but at least he's trying to put some heat on the cops; calling them liars, conspiracy thoeries, etc.

support to Buzz for trying to use the system, but i think it's time we fight fire with fire...

He may be putting heat on the cops, but c'mon, be honest. The press may exaggerate about the drug use, but let's face it, pictures of cracked out candy kids lying on the floor isn't going to win anybody over. No matter how much you may think the cops are liars or conspiracy theorists, all they have to do is march in on any given night and pick some kid off the floor, and there's their proof. Sure, I'm sure we all appreciate the music and we've all gone to clubs without drugs. But I guarantee you we're not part of the majority. I'd be willing to bet on any given night it's maybe 50% at the most.

What I'm trying to say is there's no easy solution for this. And we all get angry everytime a club gets shut down, but c'mon. Just look around at the clubs. It really only takes one bad seed to give someone who wants to shut you down the ammo to shut you down. If we wanna get mad, we should get mad at anyone who's done drugs at the club. Including ourselves. Cause I guarantee you the laws aren't going to change anytime soon. And if we're not willing to do that (I'm not, I like drugs), or if we, along with the club owners continue to look the other way, then fuck, it's just like anything else we do consciously in life, we live with the consequences.

what do you mean by "grabbing bags"?

i remeber the last honeydew, it was fucking packed like crazy because everyone wanted to go see BT. There was some trance guy before him and you couldnt move anywhere, with BT you couldnt move anywhere, then when BT finished his set the plcae cleared itself up, i think maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the people left, which was good, 'cos all those punks ended up missing tom stephan, who was the real show.

i think that was commander tom? yeah, i fuggin hated that stupid bitch dj. I think what he meant by grabbing bags is 1) grabbing the "fun bags" on girls or 2) bags of schtuff like.....ketamine or the devils dandruff.

Originally posted by spinsaikel

i think that was commander tom? yeah, i fuggin hated that stupid bitch dj. I think what he meant by grabbing bags is 1) grabbing the "fun bags" on girls or 2) bags of schtuff like.....ketamine or the devils dandruff.

Commander Tom and OS/2 were on before Zabiela the week after BT. The night of BT Brian Agrestra opened up with a lovely but short, banging techno set and then Jon the Dentist came on with some anthemy trance. Then BT played, and then all the dumbasses left when Superchumbo came on.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Sure, I'm sure we all appreciate the music and we've all gone to clubs without drugs. But I guarantee you we're not part of the majority. I'd be willing to bet on any given night it's maybe 50% at the most.

I think you're way off on this one and you're greatly underestimating how many people just drink in clubs.

Originally posted by Kuro

I think you're way off on this one and you're greatly underestimating how many people just drink in clubs.

I actually agree on this one, and can we add get fucked up on drugs?! I mean we all would like to sing its all about the music but remember the ones that know their music are still a minority.

my .02

Originally posted by chynado11

I actually agree on this one, and can we add get fucked up on drugs?! I mean we all would like to sing its all about the music but remember the ones that know their music are still a minority.

my .02

When they say sex, drugs, and rock&roll, you notice that the music comes last.

Originally posted by chynado11

my .02

But what I'm saying is that even if the majority of people are trashed, most of them are just drunkards.

of course someway, somehow its morally OK to get fucked up by drinking and not drugs. go figure

i dont think people would conclude that drinking is "morally OK" ... alcohol and why it's legal is a completely different topic than this...

the way i see it, drugs are ALWAYS going to be part of the scene...but there's a reason why drugs are illegal, so it's the responsibility for the club to not condone it...and it's also the responsibility of all concerned parties to throw a party thats focused on quality everything, including quality people...

Originally posted by highmay

i dont think people would conclude that drinking is "morally OK" ... alcohol and why it's legal is a completely different topic than this...

the way i see it, drugs are ALWAYS going to be part of the scene...but there's a reason why drugs are illegal, so it's the responsibility for the club to not condone it...and it's also the responsibility of all concerned parties to throw a party thats focused on quality everything, including quality people...

very well put.....a few more thoughts..........

Yes there will always be drugs, every scene has them. I think it's ridiculous that cops are focusing so much attention on EDM, especially in DC. You have to choose your battles and I think that ravers at BUZZ shouldn't have been one of them. There is a much worse drug epidemic in DC, IF you even want to focus on that crime. There were well over 300 murders THIS year so far and over half of them are unsolved, so why not worry about that problem first. I'm way more concerned about getting mugged by some crackhead or someone on PCP rather then someone candy raver trying to hug me at BUZZ. BUZZ should've put up a bigger fit IMO, fight it til the end don't just backdown and close

As for Spundae they deserved it, you can't have employees selling drugs. Seems like they were caught more then once, like 8 times or something. The owner had to of known it was going on. If not he's an idiot because they were probably making more money them him. There's a lot to say on this but I don't feel like rambling right now, just some quick thoughts....

On a nice note how pretty do the trees look with all the ice on them.....very festive.....ahhh living in the burbs...........

how can an establishment be totally be responsible for the behavior of all of its patrons? should they assign someone from their staff to each person that enters the place in order to police them? that would be ridiculous, but i totally see your point and i also agree with pgiddy on what he said regarding being more worried about getting mugged by some crackhead on the street than a raver on e.

Originally posted by pgiddy

As for Spundae they deserved it, you can't have employees selling drugs. Seems like they were caught more then once, like 8 times or something. The owner had to of known it was going on.

There's no reason to assume that the owner knew what was going on. Unless there's some evidence connecting the owner to drug sales it's a lot more likely that the owner didn't know, because if the owner wasn't profiting then why would he knowingly let people do shit that endangers his business?

Originally posted by Kuro

There's no reason to assume that the owner knew what was going on. Unless there's some evidence connecting the owner to drug sales it's a lot more likely that the owner didn't know, because it the woner wasn't profiting then why would he knowingly let people do shit that endangers his business?

exactly. it can be just as difficult in a big club for management to monitor their employees as it is for the employees to monitor the customers.

Originally posted by pgiddy

...As for Spundae they deserved it, you can't have employees selling drugs. Seems like they were caught more then once, like 8 times or something. The owner had to of known it was going on. If not he's an idiot because they were probably making more money them him. There's a lot to say on this but I don't feel like rambling right now, just some quick thoughts...

seriously, spundae is tamer than tame. i have never witnessed a sale firsthand in all the times i've been, and i've only seen people who were jacked up, not getting jacked up. and, in all my visits to the spundae bathrooms, i've never seen a girl getting sick. while that doesn't look as significant in print as it is, at least rethink that last statistic...

think of it this way: if anyone reading this ever went to twilo, remember various drug containers on the floor of the club. remember people doing lines in full view. i was only there twice (once each in 1996 and in 2001) and i saw this.

i was at arena a couple of months ago (la pietra's other club, a few hundred feet from circus, where spundae's held) and remarked to my friend that i would take my own mom there. while spundae may have a few more people looking a little jacked up on the sidelines, that's where they are, and there are few enough of them that they can fit there. if mama wants to go next time she visits, i'll proudly bring her :) .

well mikey, i'm sure most (but not all of course) focus on having quality everything. or try to. but it is tough when it comes to patrons. they may look well behaved upon entering the club. but then when nobody is looking, joe cocksucker will reach down into his bvd's and whip out a baggy full of candy for those non-healthconcious party goers. the task of monitering patrons is tough.