Clubplanet Nightlife Community

attn: car buffs... top 10 used performance car bargains

joeg

Originally posted by cintron

that's gay. you just did the wrong thing by taking it to a dealer to get work done, who flipped out when they saw mods.

Toyota did the same thing to me, but i just found another dealership who's actually in touch with their customers and not just the bottom line. Gotta do either that or find a good garage who knows their shit. Audi messageboards would've been your best help ;)

but to each their own.

I'd imagine it would be fairly difficult to find an Audi dealer who is mod friendly. Same might apply for BMW, Mercedes, etc....

Took me 2 dealers till I found the 3rd mitsubishi who would take care of me. Not once did they blame anything on the mods, they even made a few suggestions. Yes this was all done under warranty. I got 4 new wheels because I told them the clearcoat was coming off on the outer lip. The other dealers told me it is just wear and tear. Morons. Your mileage may vary.

Damn.. $6k is a shitload in parts.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by teklord310

I'd imagine it would be fairly difficult to find an Audi dealer who is mod friendly. Same might apply for BMW, Mercedes, etc....

Mercedes owns AMG and guarantees all of their upgrades. Toyota has TRD for aftermarket supplies; VW, Subaru, are developing their own aftermarket upgrades. Saab had been producing performance upgrades for years, inlcuding ECU upgrades (i dunno of another car company that does that, but i think Subaru may do that soon). The american automakers are usually lenient as well.

Honda can be hostile....most modifications will void its warranties.

Originally posted by cintron

christ man you're really up the creek! 6g's of mods in the garage and you haven't done anything with them? Do you still have the car? If so, install em!

If not, ebay :D modding is fun so long as it's done right, and you don't get stuck with an asshole company who likes to screw customers who take their own initiative

oh believe me ive been looking however theres no biters... tons and tons of ppl who email me, or say theyre interested then flake at the last minute or try to nickel and dime to nothing...

like heres somethings i have that im getting rid of dirt cheap:

rockford fosgate heII's 10" in an enclosure box with an amp 1600w system for 300-400 bucks..

Fog Lights 75 bucks

apr ecu-500

sport suspension-250-300 (i paid 1200)

carlsson rims 800 bucks (i paid 2400)and much much more...

Originally posted by dgmodel

oh believe me ive been looking however theres no biters... tons and tons of ppl who email me, or say theyre interested then flake at the last minute or try to nickel and dime to nothing...

like heres somethings i have that im getting rid of dirt cheap:

rockford fosgate heII's 10" in an enclosure box with an amp 1600w system for 300-400 bucks..

Fog Lights 75 bucks

apr ecu-500

sport suspension-250-300 (i paid 1200)

carlsson rims 800 bucks (i paid 2400)and much much more...

DG... if you still have the car, i'll help you install them. There's no reason to let all that goodness go to waste, unless you really want it all out of your hair permanently. foglights, ECU (as long as it doesn't need tuning), suspension and wheels are cake to install. the stereo i'm not such a whiz at.

once you've got the suspension in, all you need to do is bring it in for an alignment and that's it.

no no... i had them installed already, i installed them myself when i had the car... however i recently sold it... i had problems with audi... so in an effort to spite them or get even i sold the car literally on the spot... so i took everything out... now im stuck with all these parts... follow?

theres prolly less than 8k on all the equipment... the car and the parts where/are brand new... its just that the audi guys are fuckin misers and nickel and dime me on everything so i said fuck em... i might post again after christmas when these lil two dollar fucks gets some money... but who knows... i f you know anybody and can sell them... you can make a vig in between if you wish... i jsut want them out of my possession...

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

Mercedes owns AMG and guarantees all of their upgrades. Toyota has TRD for aftermarket supplies; VW, Subaru, are developing their own aftermarket upgrades. Saab had been producing performance upgrades for years, inlcuding ECU upgrades (i dunno of another car company that does that, but i think Subaru may do that soon). The american automakers are usually lenient as well.

Honda can be hostile....most modifications will void its warranties.

Very true... but i'm fairly certain you have to purchase the parts from them and have them install it. So you end up paying twice as much for the parts and an arm an a leg in labor.

If I didn't do any of the labor myself I would have never gotten involved with cars. Same goes for the 944, it requires more attention that the average car.. but we can take care of it.Over winter break my brother and I are going to do: engine mounts(real bitch), rear wheel bearings, possibly rear oil seals, and hopefully MAP or MAF air meter conversion. Also have to iron out this shudder coming from the tranny. The only real mechanic I trust is myself.

Yeah cars are rediculosly expensive. :(

Very true... but i'm fairly certain you have to purchase the parts from them and have them install it. So you end up paying twice as much for the parts and an arm an a leg in labor.

oh hell yeah. a sport exhaust from Saab is over $800. VW's exhaust for Golfs and Jettas runs $475.

and it sux to hear that about your Porsche. sounds like a similar story of the SVX owners; esp 94-96 models....wheel bearings and tranny problems...some cars have seen 3 tranny rebuilds. its gotten to the point where the aftermarket companies are building new transmissions (the subaru rebuilds are awful), or some owners are ditching the automatic altogether for Porsche 6 speeds.

If I didn't do any of the labor myself I would have never gotten involved with cars. Same goes for the 944, it requires more attention that the average car.. but we can take care of it.Over winter break my brother and I are going to do: engine mounts(real bitch), rear wheel bearings, possibly rear oil seals, and hopefully MAP or MAF air meter conversion. Also have to iron out this shudder coming from the tranny. The only real mechanic I trust is myself.

Yeah cars are rediculosly expensive. :(

yeah i'll be doing the same for the MR2. wheel bearings all around, front and rear engine mounts filled with shore 80A polyurethane, checking the oil seals around the engine and trying to source a tranny from a 2000-03 Camry Solara 5spd. Same exact model transmission, meanwhile they want to charge me three times as much for an Mr2 tranny - no difference intenally or externally either.

I def. agree with the "doing your own work" sentiment. Without that, there'd be no fun modding the car. Granted there's some stuff that i'm reluctant to get into - pulling the head and hardcore mechanical work with special tools, but there's def. a happiness you can only get when you start recieving big boxes of parts in the mail, then go out, wrench for a little while and drive around with the parts installed :)

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

oh hell yeah. a sport exhaust from Saab is over $800. VW's exhaust for Golfs and Jettas runs $475.

and it sux to hear that about your Porsche. sounds like a similar story of the SVX owners; esp 94-96 models....wheel bearings and tranny problems...some cars have seen 3 tranny rebuilds. its gotten to the point where the aftermarket companies are building new transmissions (the subaru rebuilds are awful), or some owners are ditching the automatic altogether for Porsche 6 speeds.

Exactly, the dealer aftermarket components are rediculous and often times aren't even worth it. They are just basic bolt on mods. Just install them yourself and remove them if you really are worried about getting shit from the dealer.

Nah the porsche is fine, just few things that need to be changed. It's a 1989, with 80k miles so its expected. The bearings aren't shot, they are a little noisy. This stupid plastic plug on the back of the tranny fell out and 7/8 of the fluid leaked out. We realized this after my brother autocrossed and beat on it. Gotta figure that out. We want to get the car setup right for track events in the spring, hopefully make it to lime rock, watkins glen, poconos, who knows... themore the better.:cool: