Clubplanet Nightlife Community

meatcleaver

teamj5

Originally posted by vicman

so whats the deal? how was d'void and zabiela?

]

the night was great..i wish we had gotten there earlier to see more of zabiela but the time we had with him was AWESOME. he definitly rocked the crowd that was there (hehe) he did some wonderful scratchin...he did jump around (no pun intended brian) a bit within his music and i noticed some people had trouble following but i think how he experimented with shit was nice to hear..d void DEFINITLY made my night....i couldnt believe it was 7am already....with the exception of a few perverts and assholes there it was great!

OK, here's my long-winded review of the music:

Unfortunately we didn't get to the club until 2:15 - 2:30ish, so I missed the first hour or so of Zabiela's set. However, we walked into him banging out some great tech house. The first 45 mins or so that I caught were outstanding! (best of the night IMO) Mixed in some sick tech-house basslines with a couple of nasty, nasty break tracks. The scratching was SO good... better than I've heard live or in any of JZ's sets! Then for the last hour or so of his set, the music kind of lulled and came off a bit flat. Each song had a really wicked bassline, but there wasn't much on top of it. Not sure, but maybe because he was opening, he wanted to calm it a bit before Funk D'Void came on. Either way, the set was still really enjoyable... his work with the effects was superb! Loved that "Warehouse" sample he played with.

So, with a bit of a slow ending from JZ, a very small crowd, and not knowing what to expect from Funk D'Void, I was a soemwhat worried about the night. I couldn't have been more wrong. Funk D'Void started out with some good, groovy techno. Not too over-bearing, just right. As the night progressed he did an excellent job of mixing the techno into tech house, techno-house, and a bit of electro. The transition was so smooth, everything blended together seemlessly. At the beginning of the night, it was pretty much all techno... by the end, very little to no techno, and a ton of tech house, but the transition from one to the other was almost unnoticable. That was what impressed me the most with his set. He also didn't really play break-downs... instead he'd let a record play-out to it's last beat, then come on with a song that started out just blaring... he only did it a couple of times, but I liked it. Very different style.

I had a really, really good time. Funk D'Void definitely stole the show... I'm not a big fan of techno, but the stuff he played was great. Not of the Christian Smith bang-your-head-against-the-wall variety. It was very dancable. He also dropped FC Kahuna - Glitterball, one of my favorites that HAS to be heard on a big system to be enjoyed.

ARC crowd was tiny... very tiny. Made it tough to get a good vibe from the place, and it definitely had an effect on the DJs, esp. Zabiela. However, of the few that were there... they stayed. Crowd at the end of the night was about as big as any I've seen when ARC closes out.

Originally posted by nyis4meatheads

OK, here's my long-winded review of the music:

Unfortunately we didn't get to the club until 2:15 - 2:30ish, so I missed the first hour or so of Zabiela's set. However, we walked into him banging out some great tech house. The first 45 mins or so that I caught were outstanding! (best of the night IMO) Mixed in some sick tech-house basslines with a couple of nasty, nasty break tracks. The scratching was SO good... better than I've heard live or in any of JZ's sets! Then for the last hour or so of his set, the music kind of lulled and came off a bit flat. Each song had a really wicked bassline, but there wasn't much on top of it. Not sure, but maybe because he was opening, he wanted to calm it a bit before Funk D'Void came on. Either way, the set was still really enjoyable... his work with the effects was superb! Loved that "Warehouse" sample he played with.

So, with a bit of a slow ending from JZ, a very small crowd, and not knowing what to expect from Funk D'Void, I was a soemwhat worried about the night. I couldn't have been more wrong. Funk D'Void started out with some good, groovy techno. Not too over-bearing, just right. As the night progressed he did an excellent job of mixing the techno into tech house, techno-house, and a bit of electro. The transition was so smooth, everything blended together seemlessly. At the beginning of the night, it was pretty much all techno... by the end, very little to no techno, and a ton of tech house, but the transition from one to the other was almost unnoticable. That was what impressed me the most with his set. He also didn't really play break-downs... instead he'd let a record play-out to it's last beat, then come on with a song that started out just blaring... he only did it a couple of times, but I liked it. Very different style.

I had a really, really good time. Funk D'Void definitely stole the show... I'm not a big fan of techno, but the stuff he played was great. Not of the Christian Smith bang-your-head-against-the-wall variety. It was very dancable. He also dropped FC Kahuna - Glitterball, one of my favorites that HAS to be heard on a big system to be enjoyed.

ARC crowd was tiny... very tiny. Made it tough to get a good vibe from the place, and it definitely had an effect on the DJs, esp. Zabiela. However, of the few that were there... they stayed. Crowd at the end of the night was about as big as any I've seen when ARC closes out.

Yup - what he said :D And I totally agree - the first hour of Zabiela was by far the best part of the night - awesome scratching & he was laying out some really hard funky beats - other than Zabiela's slow ending, really impressive sets by both. To those that didn't go you missed a great show - any chance you get to see Zabiela - GO!!!