Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Buzz email complaint + response

funkyfreshdc

:eek::woah2::eek::woah2:

if you're on the buzz email list, check your inbox. the email they sent has been posted on the buzz messageboard (by john tab even!) and it's quite an eye opener.

i don't really want to mirror it here because i think the email borders on defamation/harassment and is likely a violation of copyright. i honestly think it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

i'm not gonna stick up for the guy who decided to vent his anger on buzz, but i think buzz's reaction is extremely immature and unprofessional. posting his full name, email address, and IP to "4000 messageboard members" and thousands on the email list is clearly asking for trouble. what's gotten into them?

i'm sure this kid is gonna end up with lots of unwanted, hateful emails as a result of voicing his opinion. and if there are any packet kiddie ravers out there, maybe he'll be DOS'd for a while. either way, it sucks.

when you send a letter to someone, on paper or over the internet, the words you write belong to you and cannot be published without your consent. unless buzz actually obtained his permission (highly doubtful), they're legally in the wrong.

the right to free expression without fear of harm seems to be quickly diminishing in this country, and the last organization i would expect to see such behavior from is buzz.

icon13.gif

I think the e-mail didn't have a valid return address which is why JT posted the internet header with the question of whether anyone can trace it. Also, I think you're wrong about the part about your words in a letter you sent being your copywritten property. There's an actual procedure for copywritting written material and if you send someone a copywritten letter, electronic or otherwise, then you lose all expectations of privacy.

Originally posted by funkyfreshdc

i'm not gonna stick up for the guy who decided to vent his anger on buzz, but i think buzz's reaction is extremely immature and unprofessional. posting his full name, email address, and IP to "4000 messageboard members" and thousands on the email list is clearly asking for trouble. what's gotten into them?

i'm sure this kid is gonna end up with lots of unwanted, hateful emails as a result of voicing his opinion. and if there are any packet kiddie ravers out there, maybe he'll be DOS'd for a while. either way, it sucks.

I have a feeling, you were "that" guy who posted under a diff alias. nice try funky.

i'm bothered by buzz's response because i feel as if they've targetted this individual for speaking against them. maybe he's mad cuz he or his buddies didn't get enough votes to play on new year's, i don't know.

but in their response, buzz is (implicitly) soliciting the internet community in trying to make this guy feel like a jackass. they post what he wrote, his full name, his email address, and distributed it along with their response to an audience probably numbering 10000 or more (messageboard, yahoo group, local mailing lists).

i think that's wrong. he's evidently a dissatisfied customer, and privately voiced his complaint with buzz. why do they think it's an appropriate response to bring his unfounded, illogical arguments to the attention of so many people.

the only reason i can think of is to publicly slander and defame him. is posting his name, email address, and the headers of the email necessary to inform the community of a complaint and their response? i don't think so. they know that people will email him (probably not very nice letters either) and that his name will be blacklisted across the community. buzz has this influence.

i'm sure most buzz patrons don't consider buzz to be a typical business, but i think that if a disgruntled owner of a chevy were to write the manufacturer a complaint, then the issue would be dealt with privately and not posted on the official chevy board or to all the zealots on various chevrolet mailing lists. and certainly not with the customer's full name and email address.

i'm not a lawyer, but i read an article recently on slashdot in which a corporation was suing an individual for publishing private letters that had been sent to the individual. in this case, the corporation won because they had not given the individual permission to publish their writing, and without the writers' consent it was deemed illegal. this seems to be a similar situation, with the roles of the business and the individual reversed.

there was a thread on naughtybooth a few months ago in which a customer was banned from planetx (online record store) for calling planetx's employees "fuckers". planetx's owner ended up making statements on NB that alienated many of their customers and gave the impression that the company was run by tyrannical assholes.

so someone got upset with buzz and told them how they felt. was buzz's response justified? was it the most professional course of action?

yes i know i have too much time on my hands :(

Originally posted by funkyfreshdc

ok fine u caught me :(

j/k but i almost wish i was, that's a hell of a lawsuit they've set themselves up for and damnit i'm broke

ask for 1 mil for defamation and shit amd 96.72 billion for "mental and emotional anguish"

dude I just got that email from Buzz and I totally Agree. I don't see the fucking point of the entire email and - it's obviously in violation of copyright laws. Especially with the internet, you don't necessarily have to violate something that has been actually copyrighted. In using someone else's work without your permission you are breaking a law...

Check it out:

Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace by Laurence Lessig...

And there is this other book, "CopyRights and Copywrongs"

CAnt' remember the Goddamn author but anyways, If I were that dude I would sue their asses, just for the fun of it...because....that's why...its right there you don't want it?

Sorry I am so fucking bored...

:knife::3some::knife:

definitely uncool.

giving someone's ip address and SOLICITING people to 'do a trace' on this guy... that's tantamount to inviting hack attacks by moron ravers on this guy.

Real cool, Buzz. No wonder you're in the toilet. You might have catered to 14 year olds with your club nights, but is it necessary to act with the maturity inherent to them?

Karma's a bitch.

You can't sue, copyright bwhahaha......

but I agree definitely a shitty move to post the email......

"They e-mailed me a copy, so I can post it."

To have a copy is not to have the copyright. All the E-mail you write is copyrighted. However, E-mail is not, unless previously agreed, secret. So you can certainly report on what E-mail you are sent, and reveal what it says. You can even quote parts of it to demonstrate. Frankly, somebody who sues over an ordinary message would almost surely get no damages, because the message has no commercial value, but if you want to stay strictly in the law, you should ask first. On the other hand, don't go nuts if somebody posts E-mail you sent them. If it was an ordinary non-secret personal letter of minimal commercial value with no copyright notice (like 99.9% of all E-mail), you probably won't get any damages if you sue them. Note as well that, the law aside, keeping private correspondence private is a courtesy one should usually honour.

Originally posted by sialater18

dude I just got that email from Buzz and I totally Agree. I don't see the fucking point of the entire email and - it's obviously in violation of copyright laws. Especially with the internet, you don't necessarily have to violate something that has been actually copyrighted. In using someone else's work without your permission you are breaking a law...

Check it out:

Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace by Laurence Lessig...

And there is this other book, "CopyRights and Copywrongs"

CAnt' remember the Goddamn author but anyways, If I were that dude I would sue their asses, just for the fun of it...because....that's why...its right there you don't want it?

Sorry I am so fucking bored...

:knife::3some::knife:

you're alive:O). I thought you gave up on cp. oh yeah, check out www.gearmonkey.com for more BBS shirts. that's if you're still instrested.