Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Taxes

vicman

nice article:

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/harper/149.asp

When federal taxes are included, the 10 states that imposed the lowest total tax burdens in 2002 were:

State Income Tax (in %)

1. Alaska 27.0

2. Oklahoma 29.0

3. (tie) West Virginia 29.1

Alabama

5. Tennessee 29.2

6. North Dakota 29.5

7. South Dakota 29.7

8. (tie) Mississippi 29.8

Montana

10. Louisiana 30.1

Meanwhile, the highest total taxes were levied in:

50. Connecticut 36.7

49. Washington 35.6

48. New York 34.7

47. New Jersey 34.3

46. Wyoming 34.1

45. Wisconsin 33.2

44. Minnesota 32.9

43. (tie) Michigan 32.8

Illinois

41. California 32.7

When only state and local levies are considered, the 10 tax-friendliest states of 2002 were:

1. Alaska 6.3

2. Tennessee 8.4

3. New Hampshire8.6

4. Texas 9.0

5. (tie) Alabama 9.1

Colorado

South Dakota

8. (tie) Nevada 9.3

Florida

10. Oregon 9.4

The states with the most onerous state and local taxes were:

50. Maine 12.8

49. New York 12.3

48. Wisconsin 12.0

47. Hawaii 11.6

46. (tie) Minnesota 11.3

Rhode Island

44. (tie) Utah 11.2

Ohio

42. Vermont 11.0

41. Connecticut 10.9

Originally posted by MadamMillie

sorry...dumb question...but was the district inlcuded as a "state?" we get RAPED

hmm.. i dunno...but that Washington on the list is weird if its the State of Washington. one reason i moved out of DC to VA a year and a half ago, i got about $90 extra per pay check

Originally posted by cookiegirl

There are tradeoffs, if you work in DC. Especially transportation -- I walk to the office every day. :) It's free and healthy, so I consider that one good pro to the tax rate con. I'm not saying it doesn't blow though, I would obviously love to take home more $$$.

That's pretty sad if you have to use "walking" as one of the pros. I feel for ya. :isok::D

Originally posted by vicman

i wouldnt have expected the state of washington to be on the list, whats there besides seattle ?

:confused:

Uh, Tacoma and Redmond to name a couple. Redmond is where Microsoft headquarters are. The area between Seattle and Redmond is probably in the top 10 filthily rich areas in the U.S. So, I can totally see why Washington State would gouge those residents of all their hard earned money.

Originally posted by cookiegirl

There are tradeoffs, if you work in DC. Especially transportation -- I walk to the office every day. :) It's free and healthy, so I consider that one good pro to the tax rate con. I'm not saying it doesn't blow though, I would obviously love to take home more $$$.

it true, though. not owning a car saves an incredible amount of money when you factor in payments, insurance, tax, gas, etc.

Originally posted by MadamMillie

why not?

nothing much is in wyoming (except for nat'l parks) and maine (except for lobsters)

but that's the problem. If you dont have a lot of shit (people, buisnesses) then you need to tax the people that are there a lot more to line the pockets of your local governements....heheh ;)

Actually, it really has to do with the ideology of the locals. Wash St. has a ton of limousine liberals, the successful & guilty....all the dot com-ers who made it. Same with Cali. The prevailing attitude is that they made it without a ton of "hard work" and so they owe a lot more to society. I don't get it, but hey, whatever floats your boat...as long as it's not my state.

Surprised not to see MD on there. They jack you hard on income tax.