Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lawyers.. need help..speeding ticket

Anybody knows how to plea not guilty for a speeding ticket in NJ to avoid getting points on the license and to avoid paying the fine? Do I need to get a lawyer for the court? What should I say in the court?

I have a NJ driver license.

One more question, suppose I had NY driver license before and got a speeding ticket and 4 points off my NY driver license. Now I moved to NJ and got a NJ Driver License recently. Got a speeding ticket, again. This is another 4 points off the NJ driver license. Does that mean now I have 8 points off my NJ driver license? Or NY points don't carry over to NJ?

Thank you.

Originally posted by bluespring

Anybody knows how to plea not guilty for a speeding ticket in NJ to avoid getting points on the license and to avoid paying the fine? Do I need to get a lawyer for the court? What should I say in the court?

One more question, suppose I had NY driver license before and got a speeding ticket and 4 points off my NY driver license. Now I moved to NJ and got a NJ Driver License recently. Got a speeding ticket, again. This is another 4 points off the NJ driver license. Does that mean now I have 8 points off my NJ driver license? Or NY points don't carry over to NJ?

Thank you.

If you go to court and speak with the prosecutor, they will usually drop the point and make you pay a fine and court cost... How fast were you going and what town???

Originally posted by SPYGIRL

If you go to court and speak with the prosecutor, they will usually drop the point and make you pay a fine and court cost... How fast were you going and what town???

Thank you.

80 mph (should be 65mph).

The court is at the Edison Town/Mercer County, I think.

How much is the court cost?

They will no longer complely drop a speeding ticket, I am almost sure of it...............

I have never tried this but I have heard that if you Pay the fine send it in, over the amount (ex. Fine is $200, send them $220) right they will send you a refund check. Don't cash the check. Until you cash the check they cannot process your points or ticket. Your taking a chance though....... If this doesn't work and it depends on how fast you were going, you could get slammed with all the points instead of going and getting them reduced - FOLLOW.

Also, some more information, anything over a four point ticket WILL NOT be reduced to a no pointer ........ they just don't anymore.

Thank you.

80 mph (should be 65mph).

The court is at the Edison Town/Mercer County, I think.

How much is the court cost?

Court cost is usually about $ 30.00...... If you get a "nice" one you should have no problem. Very rarely do they actually give out points in the courtroom......

Court cost is usually about $ 30.00...... If you get a "nice" one you should have no problem. Very rarely do they actually give out points in the courtroom......

what you talkin' about girl...........

They alwyas give points for speeding.........

If you got the ticket, your going to get points............. it's almost guarenteed

Originally posted by perns2002

They will no longer complely drop a speeding ticket, I am almost sure of it...............

I have never tried this but I have heard that if you Pay the fine send it in, over the amount (ex. Fine is $200, send them $220) right they will send you a refund check. Don't cash the check. Until you cash the check they cannot process your points or ticket. Your taking a chance though....... If this doesn't work and it depends on how fast you were going, you could get slammed with all the points instead of going and getting them reduced - FOLLOW.

Also, some more information, anything over a four point ticket WILL NOT be reduced to a no pointer ........ they just don't anymore.

THat used to work, but since they updated the computer system, it doesn't......

Originally posted by perns2002

Recently though? You were given a speeding ticket and not given points..... maybe if you were going like 5-7 over maybe..........

In the last year.....No points nada........

In the few I have seen, if you plead guilty to the ticket, the have dropped the points and just make you pay all the fines.... Every court is different though and a lot has to do with the judge, the prosecutor, and anything on your DMV record.....

Thank you.

Blue spring,

here is the situation, in the mail you will receive an invitation to appear to court on a specific day. Usually at 8:30 am and in some

towns they also have night court that starts at 6:30. be sure to

to check your letter to make sure.

Once you get to court, you will have to look up on the bulliten board, usually located next to the court room, and verify that your name is listed to appear that day. Before court starts you

are usually advised to speak with a prosecutor who's office is located somewhere in the court. usually down the hall or something.

You proceed to the Prosecuters office and wait in line to speak with him, they usually call your name. Once they call your name

you go in and some rather grotesque individual with Bad breath greats you and offers you a deal. The deal will be as follows.

HALF

of whatever you got.

if you got a 4 point ticket you will get 2 points.

if you dont agree to those terms you may reschedule a trial at a later date in which the Police officer will come in and testify against you, from which you will be found guilty and get nailed for

all points and fines and court costs.

You may also try and get a lawyer, but for 4 points I wouldnt waste my money considering he will charge you 300-500 dollars which isnt worth it considering you do the caclulations and see how much your insurance will increase.

Once you make the plea of guilty you will get half the points, whatever fines and the 30 dollar court costs.

Pay the fine and court costs. then wait one month.

after a month of your court date. Go to any Triple A agecy

(AAA) and find out what days they hold defense driving classes.

Usually its once a month in a near by town. You register for

this driving class and take the class, usually runs the whole day.

once you succesfully competed your driving class you will receive a certificate. You must then send this certificate to the New Jersey divison of Motor Vehicals and to your insurance company. This certificate entiles you to 1 or 2 points reduction on you driving record.

hope this helps.

Originally posted by mane

Blue spring,

here is the situation, in the mail you will receive an invitation to appear to court on a specific day. Usually at 8:30 am and in some

Once you get to court, you will have to look up on the bulliten board, usually located next to the court room, and verify that your name is listed to appear that day. Before court starts you

are usually advised to speak with a prosecutor who's office is located somewhere in the court. usually down the hall or something.

You proceed to the Prosecuters office and wait in line to speak with him, they usually call your name. Once they call your name

you go in and some rather grotesque individual with Bad breath greats you and offers you a deal. The deal will be as follows.

HALF

of whatever you got.

if you dont agree to those terms you may reschedule a trial at a later date in which the Police officer will come in and testify against you, from which you will be found guilty and get nailed for

You may also try and get a lawyer, but for 4 points I wouldnt waste my money considering he will charge you 300-500 dollars which isnt worth it considering you do the caclulations and see how much your insurance will increase.

Once you make the plea of guilty you will get half the points, whatever fines and the 30 dollar court costs.

once you succesfully competed your driving class you will receive a certificate. You must then send this certificate to the New Jersey divison of Motor Vehicals and to your insurance company. This certificate entiles you to 1 or 2 points reduction on you driving record.

hope this helps.

Sounds like you had a BAD experience......:blank:

Thank you.

Speeding tickets cannot be reduced unless you plea and can prove you are not guilty,

If you were on radar or paced you're fuct though unless the radar or speedo weren't calibrated in the last 6 months.... not likely if it's state PD...

My brothers a cop so this is accurate info

expect to pay 7-1000 to have a lawyer take you to ct

Originally posted by carguy19

Speeding tickets cannot be reduced unless you plea and can prove you are not guilty,

If you were on radar or paced you're fuct though unless the radar or speedo weren't calibrated in the last 6 months.... not likely if it's state PD...

My brothers a cop so this is accurate info

expect to pay 7-1000 to have a lawyer take you to ct

:( more and more bad news.

I want to be positive I will go to court.

Originally posted by mane

Blue spring,

HALF

of whatever you got.

hope this helps.

This is very thorough. Thanks for the advice. It's very very helpful. I don't think I will hire a lawyer either. I am hoping the point will get reduced or I can pay a higher fine without getting points off my license.