Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Does anyone work in the fashion industry?

bkissa

i am currently an inventory buyer for a catalog. and work closely with lots of different areas of fashoin merchandisig, etc. (desigin, production, store planning, allocation, etc) so i am also familiar with those roles as well too

are you looking to get into a specific position ?

moi :D

I work on the opposite side of fashion than Nycchic...I work in sales for a vendor. She buys, I sell...

From both ends you get a vast idea of merchandising/design/production/forecasting/financials/planning . . . just let us know your questions, and we'll help ya...;)

I have a quick ? if u dont mind answering...lol. I really would love to be a stylist (photoshoots etc...showrooms...etc..) How do u fall into something like that? And also...Is fashion Merchandising all that its cracked up to be?? Like the hours, benefits, extras..people...lemme kno if u can :o)

Originally posted by vixengirly

I have a quick ? if u dont mind answering...lol. I really would love to be a stylist (photoshoots etc...showrooms...etc..) How do u fall into something like that? And also...Is fashion Merchandising all that its cracked up to be?? Like the hours, benefits, extras..people...lemme kno if u can :o)

well stylists.. i think about 95% of it is networking and contacts. Start volunteering at organizing fashion shows, etc to put something on your resume. that may be a good start

fashion merchandising.. you either love it or hate it really. in this business (no matter what aspect of it) has a pretty high turnover rate - from either cjumping companies which is quite common or even exiting the market all together to pursue other interests, which is also quite common. hours.. can be long (like including weekends) or can be your normal 9-5. depending on the company, structure, atmosphere etc. i have worked in two smaller start up companies which was more demanding and longer hours, and larger company which was only occassionally did i stay late. if you are in buying, design, production merchandising areas - you do travel some . again depending on location anywhere from 20%- 50%. trips consists mainly of going to market (your vendors) and obviously if you arent in NY or LA , its a lot more frequent. there are two semi- annual shows in Vegas (Magic) and then if you are in production and design usually you travel overseas to europe and asia to shop for trends as well as liason with your ooverseas resources/factories, agents,etc. If you are in planning and allocation you do not travel as much.

if you are seriously intersted in buying - be forewarned that its ALOT of numbers! its not all glamorous i get to shop... :laugh: you should be very comfortable with analytical stuff, number crunching, planning and love excel!. if you dont like numbers, look to get into another side of the business. Most buyers have some planning experience as well......its great when you buy something and its a hit.. but be ready to defend yourself whne you buy something that bombs.

as far as extra benefits.. again it depends what kind of merchandising you get into.. most of the time the extra are the samples, etc. Vendors will take you out to fab restaurants, etc .. When i worked for a Sports company, i got to attend the 97 All star game, patriots football games, redsox playoffs, etc. -- i loved that part. other company i didnt really get anything extra.

my recommendation who is intersted in getting into merchandising is get an internship. gets you involved and hands on to see if you a) you really like it and think you can do this B) to make contacts, networking and references

:) good luck

jeez Sue! I wish someone had given me that bible when I was in college!

Sue's right....love excel, love numbers... and leave any fabricated ideas of glamour at the door. There are tons of perks in the industry...but, it all boils down to networking and who you know.

As far as my end goes...there's lots of long hours. See, while Sue is out shopping the market, I'm the one showing her prodcut. There's tons of prep we do for buyers....lots of reports, analysis, recommendations... I mean, I'm sure I can go on and on. The wheels are always grinding...trying to come up with new ideas and staying with the times. There's also a lot of research to do...going out to see what your competition is up to, and what IS actually on the selling floor at stores. No matter what you always have to have your eyes open, to observe what is trending with the times....then, you can turn around and relate that to your customers ( inwhich there are many many markets ). You can tune into runway shows all you want, but chances are you won't see that trending at the retail level for a year and a half or so....unless it's a repeat trend or timeless classic.

Another thing...from what I've heard some of the more glamourous spots in the industry...such as PR, fashion journalism, stylists...etc....well, the compensation isn't there. I suppose you get a few more perks than the norm... but you def. start at the lowest level.

Volunteering is definetly the way to go. While I was in college, I somehow managed to pull off a 4 month internship with Gucci, in their wholesale offices. Immediately after, I scored an internship with a small novelty sweater manufactuer. It's pretty funny but, besides having to wear a suit to work everyday...there wasn't much else that was different. Of course, smaller companies have to micro manage a bit, but all in all it was the same idea.

Like Sue said, the turn over in this industry is amazing...like trends change, co. directories change. In the past year alone I"ve worked at 3 ( 2 of which no longer exsist ) different companies after staying at my last job before for nearly three years. Now I am back at the Corporate Company I worked for before, and I'm happy again. Some float from job to job, hoping to raise their income, but there are so many Joe Schmo companies around that won't be around in a few years. My point . . . be careful, and be picky . . . regardless of our economic status!!! It'll pay off from all aspects in the long run.

In the meantime, put together a resume. Include all of your interests / related experience....and please, don't just put something together becasue you "like to shop". Have a genuine interest. You'd only be doing an injustice to yourself. :D

WOW thank u soo much ladies....its nice to hear the gritty truth once in a while. As for volunteering, do either of u kno some web sites or other contacts that I could check into that u found beneficial in college. I appreciate both of u takin some time out to give me the 411, good luck in all do girls! :o)

Originally posted by marcid21

jeez Sue! I wish someone had given me that bible when I was in college!

:D

hahah just trhing to help a sista out? ;):tongue: anyways! did you see WWD today?! i still have a job! :D big news for my company, actually its kinda exciting

btw as far as educational training.. i never finished college. but you really can major in just about anything. (i was initially pursuing physical therapy!) the key is the lock down an internship or some kind of experience (but then again that goes for any kind of job, really)

oh yeah vixengirly, you may want to look into visual merchandising.. its a store line job/oppty that is easier to get recognized if you ar ecurrently working in stores, etc. (actually i used to love dong that stuff when i worked in the stores)

sue

Originally posted by nycchic24

hahah just trhing to help a sista out? ;):tongue: anyways! did you see WWD today?! i still have a job! :D big news for my company, actually its kinda exciting

btw as far as educational training.. i never finished college. but you really can major in just about anything. (i was initially pursuing physical therapy!) the key is the lock down an internship or some kind of experience (but then again that goes for any kind of job, really)

oh yeah vixengirly, you may want to look into visual merchandising.. its a store line job/oppty that is easier to get recognized if you ar ecurrently working in stores, etc. (actually i used to love dong that stuff when i worked in the stores)

sue

lol...your making me laugh! I didn't finish college either :laugh2: . . . and originally I was a journalism major....BUT...LADIES, do not use us as an example. Even a two year degree will do (( i DO have one of those...a real one, I swear ))

I'm heading out of the office now....I'll get a copy of WWD. The mktging dept. around here are media hogs!

BTW, ladies...if you check out WWD.com (( best industry trade publication )) their classified ads are pretty good. Internships and PT work are listed there occasionally. Also try monster/hotjobs.com, corporate websites of LimitedInc. and BananaRepublic/Gap/ClubMonaco... NYTIMES on sundays too... I'll keep my eyes and ears open around here as well.

i`ve been studying millinery for four years and gained a H.N.C.:hat: you gotta be really determined and sure of your own ideas,and plugg yourself like mad,tell every one what you do,make things all the time and wear them!It`s the only way to succeed.Does anyone want me to make them a hat and/or a special clubbing outfit?you won`t be dissapointed!missolark@msn.com good luck andtell the world wot you do

no problemo. if you have any questions at all... hit me on im or give me a ring! :D id be more than happy to answer any questions i can.

and actually thats how my "career" started. I was promoted from the stores. (although i have to admit that its pretty rare that actually happens) not bad for a former mall rat ;):cool: