New York vs LA

nitro449

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest saleen351

Originally posted by nitro449:

Who has the better night life

are you kidding me, of couse NYC...the clubs don't close till 3 in the afternoon. there is a hot place every nite of the week, best djs, best clubs, best music...

Cali is a bunch of children running around. Nite at the Roxbury type shit...

J. Viscious, J. Peters D tsettos. D tenenglia. J. Vasquez. Manny. Boris. Draper. the list goes on and on....

First off shit head....DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT put Tsettos, Manny the greek, and all other wanna be super DJ's on a list with JP, Junior, DT, and Vicious......Its not even close.....and stop bashing L.A. cause you giving us REAL New Yorkers a bad name....stick to the jersey board with the rest of the trash!

Originally posted by nitro449:

Who has the better night life

You still don't get it...it's not better or worse...it's just plain different

yeah nyc clubs are open until 3pm the next day, whoppppeeee, I can guarantee you there is always a club open somewhere in the city of angels at any hour of the day if you are really dying to find it

plus Cali has the benefit of much nicer weather to accomodate next day pool parties while NYC is freezing there nuts off in another snowstorm

Diversity is what makes life interesting cwm11.gif

------------------

logov5.gif

Guest saleen351

Originally posted by breathless420:

First off shit head....DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT put Tsettos, Manny the greek, and all other wanna be super DJ's on a list with JP, Junior, DT, and Vicious......Its not even close.....and stop bashing L.A. cause you giving us REAL New Yorkers a bad name....stick to the jersey board with the rest of the trash!

You fucking kidding me, Tsettos Opened EXit with Baez, made that place what it is, and the hottest club on the planet in the summer is Temps with whooooooo....Tsettos... Draper and Boris pull in over 10k ppl every week end..JP has tooooo many pots and pan mixes.

Originally posted by breathless420:

WORD! These guys(losers) just give NYC and the east coast a bad name!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

a bad rap is right, but no worries.

i'm covering for smucks who cant keep there mouth shut with coast bashing.

like someone said before. east and west clubs carry different vibes. there both great, but just different.

i've grew up going to twilo(bummer its gone), sound factory, limelight, tunnel. ohh and lets not forget the crappy ol sh#t hole "speed" (good drum and bass though)

all those clubs were great.

now in LA--first i must say that friday nights suck downhere. hardly anything big going on. however, saturdays are the days to enjoy yourself. right now is mainly spundae and giant (which will be debuting there new venue on the 21st with 3500 capacity) cant wait for that day.

well theres tons of other venues to go to, and keep in mind that by no means am i including those damm glamour clubs on sunset.

as for the musak

we have donald glaude you have tanaglia.

donald glaude is all my body needs to keep on moving. definitely a dj you should not miss.

I agree... neither is better... they are both too different to compare.

It’s like apples to oranges.

They’re both fun.

Each has certain unique aspects.

Ultimately they are two totally different experiences.

smile.gif

------------------

"Bouncy trance, bouncy trance!"

If you haven't been experienced both, you are not qualified to comment.

LA is home to Taylor, Doc Martin, Sandra Collins, Egil Alvik, Marquess Wyatt, BT, DJ Dan and many others. I'm sorry but the only people who are in the same league that you mentioned are: DT, Jr and JV.

The others are NOT, I repeat NOT in the same league.

A)They are not booked regularly on the International Circuit.

B)They are not booked regularly with domestic tours such a MoonShine Over America.

C)They do not play to crowds numbering in the tens of thousands in a single event.

They are good local jocks, BUT NOTHING MORE!

I have lived in both cities so I believe I can speak from experience.

LA is better in the following respects:

A) A vibrant and healthy after-hours scene.

B) The jocks in LA have much greater freedom to program the music they feel is right.

NYC is dominated by the tyranny of mutated hard house

(Which they like to call progressive, but in reality is the furthest thing from it. Just listen to any old Todd Terry record. The formula is the same. Tribal percussive loops, stuttered vocal samples, female or male garage vocal. They just updated the formula with some filtering and trancey elements.)

If it isn't a female vocal with tribally percussion most of the NYC clubgoers just don't get it.

In LA crowds get down to trance, breaks, techno, house, often on the same floor, on the same night, thrown by the same DJ.

The average LA club goer comes with an open mind, ready to have a good time.

The average NYC clubgoer storms off the floor if they don't hear the latest Tamia rmx and complains about how the DJ isn't playing anything they know. (And what does the average NYC clubgoer know? They have their heads so far up KTU's ass you could adjust the volume by twisting their ears.)

There are exceptions to this sad state of affairs in NYC. Most notable have been the following:

A)Twilo - Now closed by the Giuliani Gestapo Administration.

B)Centro-Fly - Now establishing itself as a purveyor of quality dance music of all genres.

C)The monthly Gatecrasher parties @ Limelight.

Other than this, NYC has become a relative wasteland in terms of quality nightlife. Miami is kicking our ass, LA is kicking our ass, Chicago kicks our ass. The Europeans seem to have a lock on innvoation in terms of new sounds, concepts, and most definitely in terms of executing their ideas. (Just look at the upcoming Creamfields fest that is going off at Riverhead, Long Island, Sept. 1 to see what I mean.)

As a NYer I'm embarassed by what I see in NYC.

Responses with facts to back them up are always welcome.

That's all for us. for now.

I think I like the music out here in LA better, but as for nightlife in general, the NYC has it going on.

The clubs on the east coast start late and go late. Our shit ends at two, WTF?

Hopefully we'll catch up and the party will really start!!

------------------

<A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?<A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.mystylus.com" TARGET=_blank> banner2.gif </A>

Originally posted by ericanthony:

Our shit ends at two, WTF?

Some shite ends at two, some is just getting started and other events don't kick off until 6 (think Santa Monica & 101)...

you just can't stay at the same place all night/morning, which isn't such a bad thing, variety is the spice of life

------------------

logov5.gif

Originally posted by sassa:

Of course NYC...more variety...more open later...more weird people...more everything.

Didn't your mother ever tell you its quality not quantity...more is not necessarily always better

if there were ten afterhour power type afterhours every weekend, would you then say that the LA afterhours scene has improved...

HELL NO! cwm2.gif

Q.E.D.

------------------

logov5.gif

Originally posted by gumby76:

Didn't your mother ever tell you its quality not quantity...more is not necessarily always better

if there were ten afterhour power type afterhours every weekend, would you then say that the LA afterhours scene has improved...

HELL NO! cwm2.gif

Q.E.D.

I realize what you're saying,and I agree.Unfortunately I don't go to my mother and ask her about these things..I just stated my opinion and in my opinion the clubbing scene here in the West isn't as cool as the East...but that's just my opinion..maybe I haven't gone clubbing enough...but I really haven't enjoyed myself in any of the clubs I've been to out here..especially in LA and San Diego..damn they suck!

------------------

Sassa

laraver................................

Yes i have experienced both and i think you have some reasearch to do. NYC is the best and most diverse place on this planet. LA is a bunch of pokey asses who can't hang.(not all of them but most) NYC is "THE BOMB". People come from all around the world jusy to visit NYC and there clubs. I don't even live in NY and im still satisfied with what it has to offer. NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!NYC IS THE SHIT!!!!

Let's not get ridiculous. We're talking about East vs. West. No ones even mentioned San Fran in all this. There's definitley a good nitelife on the West Coast. I think that the East is better, but don't generalize and say that there ain't shit out here 'cause you're wrong!!:blown:

Originally posted by sassa

..maybe I haven't gone clubbing enough...but I really haven't enjoyed myself in any of the clubs I've been to out here..especially in LA and San Diego..damn they suck!------------------

Sassa

Last time you posted, weren't you pretty new to the L.A. scene? Or haven't even been to L.A....didn't even know what Giant was like, right?

I don't know what NYC scene is like, but L.A. isn't shabby. This city KNOWS how to party. Not to mention the weather's great year round! Even when it rains, us Californians (especially us Los Angelenos) know the sun will shine within a matter of days...even hours...I wouldn't exchange that for a week at Twilo! Is that place still shut down???

Either way, you can always visit us and hang at Spundae, or Giant, or Fuel, or belly lounge, or Boardners, or Karma, or Revival, or Revival in the Park, or Love-n-Happiness, or.......shall I go on?

BTW, these events are just some of what L.A. has to offer within a matter of days, every week, every month!

But don't get me wrong...I'm still curious about Miami and the Big Apple. I think I'd really like those cities as well. :)

Originally posted by ~surreal~

Last time you posted, weren't you pretty new to the L.A. scene? Or haven't even been to L.A....didn't even know what Giant was like, right?

I don't know what NYC scene is like, but L.A. isn't shabby. This city KNOWS how to party. Not to mention the weather's great year round! Even when it rains, us Californians (especially us Los Angelenos) know the sun will shine within a matter of days...even hours...I wouldn't exchange that for a week at Twilo! Is that place still shut down???

Either way, you can always visit us and hang at Spundae, or Giant, or Fuel, or belly lounge, or Boardners, or Karma, or Revival, or Revival in the Park, or Love-n-Happiness, or.......shall I go on?

BTW, these events are just some of what L.A. has to offer within a matter of days, every week, every month!

But don't get me wrong...I'm still curious about Miami and the Big Apple. I think I'd really like those cities as well. :)

I'm guessing you've never been to NYC...maybe you'd change your mind once you experience the nightlife here...I'm in NYC for the rest of the summer...can't wait to finally head to some decent clubs..and yes I posted once when I was new to the Southern California area...but I've since then had a chance to check out the scene..I'm not too happy with it...San Francisco's not too bad though,but that's hella far from me...oh well...guess this question will never quite be answered.....:rolleyes:

Originally posted by laraver

If you haven't been experienced both, you are not qualified to comment.

LA is home to Taylor, Doc Martin, Sandra Collins, Egil Alvik, Marquess Wyatt, BT, DJ Dan and many others. I'm sorry but the only people who are in the same league that you mentioned are: DT, Jr and JV.

The others are NOT, I repeat NOT in the same league.

A)They are not booked regularly on the International Circuit.

B)They are not booked regularly with domestic tours such a MoonShine Over America.

C)They do not play to crowds numbering in the tens of thousands in a single event.

They are good local jocks, BUT NOTHING MORE!

I have lived in both cities so I believe I can speak from experience.

LA is better in the following respects:

A) A vibrant and healthy after-hours scene.

B) The jocks in LA have much greater freedom to program the music they feel is right.

NYC is dominated by the tyranny of mutated hard house

(Which they like to call progressive, but in reality is the furthest thing from it. Just listen to any old Todd Terry record. The formula is the same. Tribal percussive loops, stuttered vocal samples, female or male garage vocal. They just updated the formula with some filtering and trancey elements.)

If it isn't a female vocal with tribally percussion most of the NYC clubgoers just don't get it.

In LA crowds get down to trance, breaks, techno, house, often on the same floor, on the same night, thrown by the same DJ.

The average LA club goer comes with an open mind, ready to have a good time.

The average NYC clubgoer storms off the floor if they don't hear the latest Tamia rmx and complains about how the DJ isn't playing anything they know. (And what does the average NYC clubgoer know? They have their heads so far up KTU's ass you could adjust the volume by twisting their ears.)

There are exceptions to this sad state of affairs in NYC. Most notable have been the following:

A)Twilo - Now closed by the Giuliani Gestapo Administration.

B)Centro-Fly - Now establishing itself as a purveyor of quality dance music of all genres.

C)The monthly Gatecrasher parties @ Limelight.

Other than this, NYC has become a relative wasteland in terms of quality nightlife. Miami is kicking our ass, LA is kicking our ass, Chicago kicks our ass. The Europeans seem to have a lock on innvoation in terms of new sounds, concepts, and most definitely in terms of executing their ideas. (Just look at the upcoming Creamfields fest that is going off at Riverhead, Long Island, Sept. 1 to see what I mean.)

As a NYer I'm embarassed by what I see in NYC.

Responses with facts to back them up are always welcome.

That's all for us. for now.

Vinyl? Tenaglia?

Anyways.....

I agree with most of that except you fail to give mention to the smaller venues and less-known DJs.......the more underground scene in NYC is still strong IMO......many times, some lesser known DJs are exceptional, better than some big DJs, but just don't have the name yet......yea, the bigger venues are in bad shape for the most part but that is not the only thing NYC has in terms of the scene.......anyways, things go through stages and we're in a low point right now......we'll be back up.

and about the average NYC clubber being closed minded......that's bullshit to me because I don't consider those types you described as clubbers.......more like crackheads......the core crowd in the city ie people that frequent places like Centro, Vinyl, and Twilo when it was open are very open minded, musically educated, and always want to hear something new......

I was out in SC last year and it's an up and coming scene IMO......I think it will be great there in years to come but NY has been there and done many things in the 90s that LA hasn't even touched.......the only problem I had with the scene was that most of the people seem very fake and put up facades......everyone's trying to impress ALL of the time......also people seem a bit less in tune to the music and more on just "being at the club"........in NY nobody gives a shit what you look like in the clubs.......people are not so judgemental and dressing down is engouraged in most good clubs.......music is the top priority.

you should look more to the underground elements of the scene in NY rather than the mainstream garbage to see a more intact view of the scene right now.......hard house doesn't dominate the scene, not the real one anyway......:)

Originally posted by tyco

Vinyl? Tenaglia?

Anyways.....

I agree with most of that except you fail to give mention to the smaller venues and less-known DJs.......the more underground scene in NYC is still strong IMO......many times, some lesser known DJs are exceptional, better than some big DJs, but just don't have the name yet......yea, the bigger venues are in bad shape for the most part but that is not the only thing NYC has in terms of the scene.......anyways, things go through stages and we're in a low point right now......we'll be back up.

and about the average NYC clubber being closed minded......that's bullshit to me because I don't consider those types you described as clubbers.......more like crackheads......the core crowd in the city ie people that frequent places like Centro, Vinyl, and Twilo when it was open are very open minded, musically educated, and always want to hear something new......

I was out in SC last year and it's an up and coming scene IMO......I think it will be great there in years to come but NY has been there and done many things in the 90s that LA hasn't even touched.......the only problem I had with the scene was that most of the people seem very fake and put up facades......everyone's trying to impress ALL of the time......also people seem a bit less in tune to the music and more on just "being at the club"........in NY nobody gives a shit what you look like in the clubs.......people are not so judgemental and dressing down is engouraged in most good clubs.......music is the top priority.

you should look more to the underground elements of the scene in NY rather than the mainstream garbage to see a more intact view of the scene right now.......hard house doesn't dominate the scene, not the real one anyway......:)

You are so right.

Archived