Clubplanet Nightlife Community

producers question

heretic909

For the producers on here, how do you charge when you're asked to produce or remix an existing track for a client? I'm curious about how some of you work your trade.

And when you're doing one of your own tracks for a label, how do you usually try to negotiate those kinds of deals? A one-time payment, a percentage of the sales, or a combination of getting an advance as well as a percentage of sales?

If you reply to this, also list what style of music you do. Thanks.

I don't produce, but I know a few who do....here's the blueprint I've got....

If it's your first or second remix, do it for as little as you can get away with. The name recognition you'll get is worth more (in the long run) than whatever $ you charge). After that, about $300-$500 for remixes between 3-7. After that, whatever you can get away with. Just remember, when you're starting out on production, the name recognition you may get is worth infinately more than the $$ you get in, at least in the long run...

Most of the remixes I've done are for gabba and industrial artists, and I'm lucky if I get a couple bucks doing those things.

Then I'm also doing hip-hop where I'll charge $20/hr for the studio time if they've got their own beats already recorded. And if they don't, I'll charge a flat fee of $250 a track to provide the music for their rhymes and then $15/hr for the studio time.

Now I've got this guy that wants a club anthem remix of his track, and the guy that hooked me up with this deal originally said the guy was willing to pay up to $1000 for the mix. I'm meeting with the guy tomorrow to discuss the project, so I'm just hoping it's legit and wondering how I should go about bringing up money. Unfortunately my parents gave my brother all the business genes when they gave me the artistic genes, and I've never been good with money or negotiating this kind of stuff.

Guess I'll have to come up with a new alias also, cause I don't want one of my gabba or hip-hop names to show up on a mainstream club track.