Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Drugs follow Music? Music follows Drugs??

rayclubp

I may be wrong but trends in popular music seem to follow whichever drug is en vogue at the time? Or maybe the popularity of music pushes a certain drug into the limelight? Any one got any opinions?

------------------

Well actually go to www.cnn.com scroll down and there is a little Time. Magazine icon and the cover of it for this week is Ecstacy a huge non bias report that just states the facts on the club scene and drugs also it sts some cites to some agencies that are dedictated to testing your ex to make sure you are not taking something else that can kill you and the cops cannot arrest you for participating go there everyone it is really interesting....

------------------

This is a difficult one.

Ok House came out of Chicago, a big gay scene there who were constantly being victimized. House music was a result.

Techno - most people credit it to Detroit, lots of social problems, violence / gangs.

D & B came out of Brixton (UK).

Trance - probably Germany.

Most advances in music come from hardship, but hardship is usually connected with drugs anyway so it seems like a chicken and the egg thing.

What is obvious is that certain drugs work with certain types of music. What is also interesting and be honest about this is that certainly for me, I didn't care Acid House (in 1988) then I went to a warehouse party and too an E for the first time. After that not only did I love it on drugs but I loved it off too. I think MDMA/LSD can make you relate to the music in a different way permanently. Spliff does but temporarily.

In the UK C and Champagne were connected with the Speed garage scene but I think that was a cudos thing rather than effecting the music because D&G and Prada were also associated with it.

I also know that E's went bad in the UK about 5 years ago. Consumption went right down and the clubbing press had headline like "Ecstasy ends" etc. Then a new batch came in to the country called Mitsubishi's, suddenly Trance becomes big at exactly the same time.

There is an article on the www.time.com page about how we here music (not the E one) which says that we can always remember the song that was playing when we were having fun. Maybe on a subconscious level we are relating the first E experience with the music so then it becomes part of our lives.

Don't know, it's very complicated. But a great question.

------------------

Sorry I wasn't talking about the E article anyway I was talking about the "how we hear music" article.

but having just read it, it's out of date the latest research was done un the UK (findings released about 1 week ago). The UK research was done on a larger test base that was more controlled. There findings were that there is no problem with cognitive functions but there is on working memory function not learning memory/congnative memory.

If anybody is interested I will find the web site.

------------------

It seems we are undergoing a whole pardigm shift. Sex is loosing its stigma. Drugs right now are the way sex was in the 50s where everyone did them but was afraid to talk about it in public. Gaia theory states we are all just neuron randomly firing until we reach a critical point of global sentience. Look at London today and you'll see the US in a couple of years.

Just some ideas.

------------------

I am not so sure, I have had a heated debate about whether the scene over here will follow the same patterns as the UK scene.

Firstly there are many differences, the disco backlash didn't happened in the UK. Which may go some way to explain why the uptake of house was so rapid.

Also you can drink legally at 16 in England, It's funny when I first came across here I thought I would see more similarities between American people and me than lets say French,Italian and German people. But I have to say the European people (no mater what the language) have very similar outlook on life.

And although I am connected to all of you by a single love I am different.

I don't think people can be explained by any hypothesis or theory, physics can but our brains as a self organizing system cannot.

I want to go out blazing, not fade away.

Sorry getting too serious.

------------------

I agree w/ you to a point. I think american culture is changing at its core and I think electronica is one of the largest influences. America is immature and barbaric as a society and it's this ignorance which is the cause of most of our suffering.

------------------

I agree with you there. I was amazed when I first came across at the racial tension here. I am not sure what it's like in your neck of the woods but in Chicago it's sickening.

It's a shame, this country has so much to offer but some of the rules and regulations are ridiculous.

Check out the Freedom of speech thread i have put in the NY section.

------------------

[This message has been edited by back2basics (edited 06-02-2000).]

Archived