Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Trance Mix CD Rankings

arrakis

Hey all; thought we might get a little ranking of favorite CDs going in hopes of sharing some good music. Here's my top 5; and as always, interpretation of the word "trance" is subject to opinion:

Trance:

1. Oakenfold "Resident @ Cream"

2. Sasha "GU Ibiza"

3. Oakenfold "GU New York"

4. Sasha "GU San Francisco"

5. Seaman "Renaissance America"

Look forward to seeing some other lists!

here's mine...

Danny Howells-Nocturnal Frequencies 2

What more can I say... Howells is the dj to open up for Digweed at his legendary Bedrock nights. Dark & Deep is the sound, cutting edge is more like it. Sorry guys.. No big drumrolls or breakdowns.

Craig Richards/Lee Burridge-Tyrant

Although this isn't considered trance at all, its nonetheless considered the sound of now. Lee Burridge takes you in the mix from trippy house to nuskool breaks and everything in between.

Dark Drums-Steve Lawler

If you haven't heard him out yet, make it a point to see him. Resident at HOME in London and also Space in Ibiza, he is just tearing it up all over the place. Tech and prog. house junkie, he is considered the UKs version of Tenaglia. Dark, deep, and dirty. He also has a HOME cd recently released with a house mix and a progressive mix. He is set to do the next NuBreed for a release in September.

Darren Emerson-Uruguay GU015

Darren, who recently quit Underworld, shows everyone he can do things on his own without a problem. It's not one of my favorite GU's but I like the change into other genres & sub-genres. It's well worth the $20 for this double cd. Make sure you get the domestic release on K7-Otherwise you'll be paying a few more bucks for it.

Come on guys, let's hear what makes you shake lately...

• 2 weeks later...

true but its really the only club worth going to during the summer. On top of that its a great place to get fucked up. Take the metromover @ 12 and then get back on it in the morning after you finish partying its the best.

Nolimit,

nice selection there. Gota say that one of the most open minded selections of tunes i have seen most people just go for the superstar DJ's.

Craig Richards,Lee Burridge,Steve Lawler are all vastly under rated. icon14.gif

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

It's not just about the notes played, it's about the spaces in-between.

top.gif

Just got "Tyrant" today; very nice indeed... true that about the "superstar" DJs, but I've also had it with the "it's cool to stay underground" shit. Sasha gets reemed left and right for being so "popular", yet I believe he's one of the most cutting-edge DJs out there today. And Oakenfold still knows how find good vibes; he wasn't voted DJ mag's #1 DJ because he can scramble eggs. Are we in this for the music and fun or to keep our heads buried underground?

Thats not an underground DJ thing. I have maximum respect for Sasha & Oakey. But there are also DJ's out there that are equaly as good but just havent had the break or maybee dont have such a mainstream sound.

It's easy to say S&D, oakey et al are good because we know that.

------------------

top.gif

Guest genevieve

O.K Arrakis, I have all the cd's you have listed plus many more. So, I'll tell you what's in my car changer right now:

-Markus Schulz, KAMAIDACHI

-Timo mass, DIRTY TRANCE(Mix Mag)

-GU:14 Diggers Hong Kong(cd2)

-Ascension(yes, my fav is SOMEONE)

-GU:15 Darren Emerson (cd2)

-The Smiths, SINGLES(i luv Johnny

Marr)

Yes, I listen to stuff other than trance sometimes. I don't know how I'd make it through 2 hrs. at the gym without my music. It keeps you moving! You gotta thank god for the muzik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

So what's up with you B2B? What rocks your boat?? Lets see a list.

Good news guys.. The next Nubreed installment will be from Danny Howells and release date will be August 28th or 29th. I forgot which date. That's a must get.

B2B, what's your take on Jon Carter? He just came out with a CD by 7. I've never heard him but I heard that he's versatile. That should be a pre req. for all djs nowadays. You can't just stick to one style. Atleast that's what I think.

i can't wait for the new howells cd set. i'm gonna bug the guys at boxed and see if they'll send me the promo early. and the seaman GU is coming out even sooner! lately i've been listening to a jimmy van m tape from a few years ago, also a forth double tape pack i got from the uk. plus...the tried and true communicate, opening up w/ the new jimmy van m ministry cd. that makes for a nice little session. oh and home cd 1. mixed by lawler. s

Rolling? Did someone say rolling? *drool*

Oh, sorry. Well, in my CD player is a guy from (I think) Chicago called Brandy James. This CD is a home-made that somehow ended up in my collection. This guy is just absolutly amazing. Nice builds, SUPER TRANCEY undertones with oceans, birds and voice; all in all it's just a fantastic CD.

If anyone's heard of Brandy, can you drop me an email? I'd love to find out what this CD is, and if he's got more.

Thanks in advance.

------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are the Dreamers

We are the music makers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

word up good convo. but i think sometimes we can be too focused on who's this dj and who's mainstream or underground instead of just the music close your eyes forget whos spinning and their rep and listen to the beat judge it for your self. doesnt matter if its oakenfold or some upand coming underground local.

1. Right now #1 for me is Paul van Dyk's out there and back. blowing up. especially the bonus remix disk .

2. Astral Projection- the album with god is a dj . i forget the name.

3. Green nuns of The Revolution.

4. Kimball Collins -icU

5. Kenny Styles- Live at 1509. you really need to check this out . resident at mars tampa . my friend is his younger brother and the album is seriously hot to death. especially the mix of djsupremes wild style

Word up; y'all. Of course I listen to more than just Oakey and Sasha - I just wanted to instigate a little dialogue, and it seems like I've succeeded in that! Those little punks that think everything underground is cool just piss me off sometimes... My true love is drum 'n' bass, but it doesn't seem like we have any junglists out here, so I'm stuck w/ discussing what you all are really into. I appreciate the commentary though (I've gotten some good suggestions out of this); let's keep it rolling. wink.gif

Nolimit,

Love Jon Carter, loved him for years. He used to play a club i used to live in, on a regular basis.

As for me i am afraid i only have one thing on my mind @ the moment.....

Richie Hawtin

Richie Hawtin

Richie Hawtin

------------------

top.gif

[This message has been edited by back2basics (edited 07-03-2000).]

Archived