Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Where were Bush's critics during Kosovo?

igloo

Larry Elder

March 6, 2003

Where were Bush's critics during Kosovo?

When President Bill Clinton used the military in Kosovo, his primary justification added up to one thing -- humanitarian reasons. His supporters cheered him on, despite this illegitimate, though humane, use of our military.

The case against Iraq, however, turns on the Iraqi dictator's possession of and willingness to use biological, chemical and possibly nuclear weapons against American allies, American interests and America itself. President Bush does, indeed, underscore the horror inflicted upon the Iraqi people by Saddam Hussein. But those who applauded Clinton's Kosovo mission seem, in the case of Iraq, indifferent as to the "humanitarian angle."

Actor/activist Mike Farrell, for example, says about Iraq, "It is inappropriate for the administration to trump up a case in which we are ballyhooed into war." But back in 1999, about Kosovo, Farrell said, "I think it's appropriate for the international community in situations like this to intervene. I am in favor of an intervention."

Let's go to the videotape:

Clinton (March 24, 1999): "Now (Serbian troops have) started moving from village to village, shelling civilians and torching their houses. We've seen innocent people taken from their homes, forced to kneel in the dirt and sprayed with bullets. Kosovar men dragged from their families, fathers and sons together, lined up and shot in cold blood. This is not a war in the traditional sense; it is an attack by tanks and artillery on a largely defenseless people whose leaders already have agreed to peace. Ending this tragedy is a moral imperative."

Bush (Jan. 28, 2003): "The dictator who is assembling the world's most dangerous weapons has already used them on whole villages, leaving thousands of his own citizens dead, blind or disfigured. Iraqi refugees tell us how forced confessions are obtained by torturing children while their parents are made to watch. International human rights groups have catalogued other methods used in the torture chambers of Iraq, electric shock, burning with hot irons, dripping acid on the skin, mutilation with electric drills, cutting out tongues and rape. If this is not evil, then

evil has no meaning."

Clinton (March 24, 1999): "Our mission is clear: to demonstrate the seriousness of NATO's purpose, so that the Serbian leaders understand the imperative of reversing course, to deter an even bloodier offensive against innocent civilians in Kosovo, and if necessary, to seriously damage the Serbian military's capacity to harm the people of Kosovo. In short, if President Milosevic will not make peace, we will limit his ability to make war."

Bush (Sept. 12, 2002): "If the Iraqi regime wishes peace, it will cease persecution of its civilian population, including Shi'a, Sunnis, Kurds, Turkemens and others -- again, as required by Security Council resolutions. . . . The United States has no quarrel with the Iraqi people. They've suffered too long in silent captivity. Liberty for the Iraqi people is a great moral cause and a great strategic goal. The people of Iraq deserve it. The security of all nations requires it. Free societies do not intimidate through cruelty and conquest. And open societies do not threaten the world with mass murder. The United States supports political and economic liberty in a unified Iraq."

Clinton (March 24, 1999): "I am convinced that the dangers of acting are far outweighed by the dangers of not acting, dangers to defenseless people and to our national interests. If we and our allies were to allow this war to continue with no response, President Milosevic would read our hesitation as a license to kill. There would be many more massacres, tens of thousands more refugees, more victims crying out for revenge. Right now, our firmness is the only hope the people of Kosovo have, to be able to live in their own country without having to fear for their own lives."

Bush (Sept. 12, 2002): "We can harbor no illusions, and that's important today to remember. Saddam Hussein attacked Iran in 1980 and Kuwait in 1990. He's fired ballistic missiles at Iran and Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Israel. His regime once ordered the killing of every person between the ages of 15 and 70 in certain Kurdish villages in northern Iraq. He has gassed many Iranians and 40 Iraqi villages."

Not that his supporters care, but Clinton apparently exaggerated the suffering in Kosovo. In November 1999, the Christian Science Monitor wrote, "U.S. and NATO officials at times implied that as many as 100,000 ethnic Albanians may have been killed, and they used words like 'genocide' to describe the Serbian policy. They later lowered the estimate to 10,000. But preliminary findings from war-crimes investigators indicate that the number of ethnic Albanians killed by Serbian forces during the air strikes was probably closer to 5,000."

But when and if forces enter Iraq, expect the humanitarian charges lodged against Saddam Hussein to prove not only accurate, but understated.

What a difference an administration makes.

Originally posted by normalnoises

They're looking to murder civilians for oil. That's what's so "humanitarian" about it in Igloo's eyes.

Another blinding example of the depth of your stupidity....

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

since when has Iraq been a humanitarian mission? I thought we were looking for terrorists?

:rolleyes:

You want want to rethink this statement, as well as try and understand what the point of the article is ....

I know it may be mentally challenging for you, and it is much easier to stick with the simpleton "war for oil" theory, but try...

Originally posted by igloo

You want want to rethink this statement, as well as try and understand what the point of the article is ....

I know it may be mentally challenging for you, and it is much easier to stick with the simpleton "war for oil" theory, but try...

no asshole....youre missing my point...go back to licking cheney's asshole...

Originally posted by mrmhs

Sadam will be dead

The Iraqi people will be free

The world will be safer!!!!

----------------------------------

Enough said...

free for what? they're going to go from one dictator to another...the US will keep troops in Iraq for a minimum of 10 years, it has been estimated....is that freedom? One bullshit situation to the next...oh yes, the Iraqis must be thrilled...

the world will be safer because the united states is going to destroy many homes, kill many innocent people...all in the name of fighting terrorism...how ironic....:vomit2:

You don't know what you are talking about.. 10 years who told you that??? some pussy professor from one of your bullshit universities that spew that anti- american crap. The country will be democratic were the gov't actually gives a shit about it's people. A dictator for a dictator huh just like Afghanistan were improvemnets are made on a daily basis. Iraq will be quicker because they can actually generate revenue from THEIR oil.. We don't want it, it would have been ours in 1991 if we did!!!

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

no asshole....youre missing my point...go back to licking cheney's asshole...

You have no point jerkoff...you never do....and you did miss the point of the article moron....but that is to be expected, cause you are a simpleton.....narrow minded and ignorant..

Stick with Harry Belafonte--more your speed

Originally posted by sassa

free for what? they're going to go from one dictator to another...the US will keep troops in Iraq for a minimum of 10 years, it has been estimated....is that freedom? One bullshit situation to the next...oh yes, the Iraqis must be thrilled...

the world will be safer because the united states is going to destroy many homes, kill many innocent people...all in the name of fighting terrorism...how ironic....:vomit2:

Sassa,

You said the same thing about the Afghanis pre-US invasion, and I think you would agree they are much better off now, and happier.....

Iraqi society is in a much better position, in that they have a foundation and infrastructure that can absorb change, wealth that can be returned to the people , and a more westernized society that will adapt quickly...

I mentioned yesterday I have a friend in Iran, who indicated that the Iranian "street" is excited about this---they hope the same for their country....I believe you even posted some article about Iraqi's welcoming this..

Don't be so cynical...(Chomsky will do that to you!..LOL)

Originally posted by mrmhs

You don't know what you are talking about.. 10 years who told you that??? some pussy professor from one of your bullshit universities that spew that anti- american crap. The country will be democratic were the gov't actually gives a shit about it's people. A dictator for a dictator huh just like Afghanistan were improvemnets are made on a daily basis. Iraq will be quicker because they can actually generate revenue from THEIR oil.. We don't want it, it would have been ours in 1991 if we did!!!

i suppose you know better than me what's going on? :rolleyes:

btw, i don't get my information from "pussy professors from bullshit universities"....:bigfinge: grow the hell up and speak like a real man...if you are one.

Originally posted by sassa

i suppose you know better than me what's going on? :rolleyes:

btw, i don't get my information from "pussy professors from bullshit universities"....:bigfinge: grow the hell up and speak like a real man...if you are one.

Sassa, he aint a man. He's an "it". And "it" needs to become non-existant.

Non existant bitch boy??? YOU SIT SHELTER IN YOUR FUCKING WHOLE IN SEATLLE OR WHAT EVER YOUR FROM BLINDED BY YOUR SICK TWISTED VIEWS THAT EVERY ONE CIVIL LIBERTIES ARE BEING VIOLATED...OR A VICTIM OF RACISM. What do you know about racism are you black? You make me sick throwing that word around!!!