Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is Miami done?

kimmr

Where's the vibe that was at Chaos ((sniff..sniff(( and Shadow. I was there in April and felt like I was casted in "Death of a night club". Crobar didn't thrill me, mabe it was a bad nite but I really loved the sophisticated, bubbly, "rolling" crowd that Miami was famous for. Space sounds like its a young scene. Any feedback will be appreciated!!

[This message has been edited by kimmr (edited 08-02-2000).]

Good Question. I think the "underground" like all good things, is no longer. When you get cheeseheads jamming to Ayla and Kaycees' escape and the like in a car next to you and the awesome Power 96 trance mix (not), you then realize you must go Deep, Deep, Deeper Undergound. I personally don't think the masses here even deserve this music. It may be OK in Europe, but it kills me the way people here ruin all things sacred. Sorry, just venting. The flavor is gone. Groove Jet is gone. The "atmosphere" is gone. They wanted the big venues, they got em. And now there is nothing but $$$ in "their" pockets.

Originally posted by e-lektronik:

Good Question. I think the "underground" like all good things, is no longer. When you get cheeseheads jamming to Ayla and Kaycees' escape and the like in a car next to you and the awesome Power 96 trance mix (not), you then realize you must go Deep, Deep, Deeper Undergound. I personally don't think the masses here even deserve this music. It may be OK in Europe, but it kills me the way people here ruin all things sacred. Sorry, just venting. The flavor is gone. Groove Jet is gone. The "atmosphere" is gone. They wanted the big venues, they got em. And now there is nothing but $$$ in "their" pockets.

Thanks for the reply e-lek, unfortunately you confirmed what I was totally afraid of. Although, I wouldn't mind a venue not so underground, that goes off like Chaos did 2 or 3 years ago. Guess that "Chris" guy who was busted is the only one to get it going down there. So I'm thinking of hitting West Palm instead what do you think, is it worth my time or should I just hang there. I heard Bliss & Liquid were ok. They said Liquid has a "Chic" crowd. I could deal, let me know. Thanks

I don't think any city can be always "on". Maybe Miami is in a rut right now; but it's summertime! The fall/winter should pick up... I already hear DT and PVD will be down here soon. Hot spots right now (in my opinion) are BED, Vivid, Push, Blue, and Tantra. I've had great times at all of these places lately. As far as West Palm goes, there isn't much choice at the moment. Thursday and Saturday nights are the best, and Liquid and Bliss (on Clematis Street) are the top venues. In the New Year with City Place opening up (a whole new area downtown), I'd imagine some other clubs will be here soon. I am definitely sad that Groove Jet is gone, but let's keep the vibe going!

• 2 weeks later...

Arrakis is totally right on. The scene exists for those who are in tune with what they enjoy. Not for those who follow the hype and all the fake postings that go on this board. Why is Vivid less than Chaos? Because there is no love there. Wake up clubbers, why do venues push big name djs and there sound systems and yet when you go there is no magic? They (the operators) DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL LOVE, only how to feel fat wallets or their oversized egos, and those attitudes eventually override the infatuation the patrons have about the club at first,and the vibe becomes flat at best, at worst negative. The smaller more intimate venues operated by someone who wants their patrons to feel loved, respected and important to the operator and yet still are devoted to knowing and promoting the music evolution is where I want to be. Except for Vivid I'm in total agreement with arrakis. For example I see the music director for Tantra every day in the record stores buying the latest music for her local resident DJs. Blue is totally non-pretentious. BED not afraid to be creative. Support these small venues or be a sheep to all the hype and end up in a warehouse in Overtown.

[This message has been edited by plasmajockey (edited 08-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by plasmajockey (edited 08-13-2000).]

Right on, Mr. Plasma. Fuck the mega clubs - they lack charm, style, personality, originality, good music selection, intimacy, good vibes, unpretentious doormen/women, fair entry prices, and oh yeah - did I say good music selection? Went to Level this past Saturday night and I don't think I've ever heard worse music at a club before; other than maybe at Crobar a few weeks ago. Where's the soul? The good vibe? These mega clubs are only chock-full of coked-up romeos and juliets who have no clue as to what an ideal "clubbing experience" is. My money from now on (and has been for a while) is going to venues which deserve it; such as Blue, Push, Tantra, and BED. By the way, Blue this past Friday night had amazing energy; but then again, what else is new?!

I don't think it really matters about the size of the club I think it is a combination of the music, the people and the atmosphere. I enjoy myself as much in Space, Crobar or Level as I do in BED, Blue, Lola Bar or Push (which is closed, by the way, heard it was sold). It just depends on my mood.

Help to create the energy and it will be there...

First off, if Push closed, it must've been a few days ago b/c I was just there on Friday. Second, yes it is the size of the club that matters. Big club = big, necessary revenue; which means must appeal to the masses. It's not just a coincidence that big clubs in general (obviously not always) have less of a vibe than the smaller ones. With a smaller place you can get just the "right" people, and also have lesser-known cutting-edge DJs with egos a bit smaller than the likes of Acosta and Judge Jules. I'm happy that people enjoy themselves at Level and Crobar; I have myself occasionally. But there is something about a place where people dance their asses off w/o any attitude and have money left at the end of the night to afford breakfast on the way home... wink.gif

Archived