Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Baylink Project -- article

pod

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5355071.htm

Basically this article is quoting what I knew all along...there's some real elitist pigs on the beach! :)

For those too lazy, the Baylink Project is a proposed train link from Downtown to the Beach. The county wants to build it, but the powerful real estate tycoons and upscale socialites of the Beach do not want it. Initially they played the politically-correct game, and said it would create traffic (umm the purpose of a rail line is to take traffic away...), but now they're pretty much saying "well, we don't want certain kinds of people on the beach".

I'll totally agree, there's a lot of scumbags who deserve to be shot wandering around the beach, and the train may add a few...but that just means the cops will have to do their jobs...90 percent of the problem on the beach is lax enforcement of curfews and disorderly conduct laws. If the cops would only take a more proactive role in rounding up the various seedy folk, the Baylink project would not have this going against it. I hate it when I see some drunken buffoon walking down Washington Avenue kicking over New Times boxes, harassing random passerby, and hooting at girls on the other side of the street, and the cops just let it slide. If I was an officer, I'd take the wonderful opportunity to re-zero the sights on my Glock 21 using said scofflaws' kneecap as a reference :)

Well, I don't really advocate random acts of cops shooting people, but I really do advocate a more proactive role on their part. :)

What do you guys think?

Originally posted by pod

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5355071.htm

Basically this article is quoting what I knew all along...there's some real elitist pigs on the beach! :)

For those too lazy, the Baylink Project is a proposed train link from Downtown to the Beach. The county wants to build it, but the powerful real estate tycoons and upscale socialites of the Beach do not want it. Initially they played the politically-correct game, and said it would create traffic (umm the purpose of a rail line is to take traffic away...), but now they're pretty much saying "well, we don't want certain kinds of people on the beach".

I'll totally agree, there's a lot of scumbags who deserve to be shot wandering around the beach, and the train may add a few...but that just means the cops will have to do their jobs...90 percent of the problem on the beach is lax enforcement of curfews and disorderly conduct laws. If the cops would only take a more proactive role in rounding up the various seedy folk, the Baylink project would not have this going against it. I hate it when I see some drunken buffoon walking down Washington Avenue kicking over New Times boxes, harassing random passerby, and hooting at girls on the other side of the street, and the cops just let it slide. If I was an officer, I'd take the wonderful opportunity to re-zero the sights on my Glock 21 using said scofflaws' kneecap as a reference :)

Well, I don't really advocate random acts of cops shooting people, but I really do advocate a more proactive role on their part. :)

What do you guys think?

Pod, I think it will revitalize the downtown area and will initially hurt the hotel industry of Sobe furthermore of what Sept. 11 already did.

But in the long run it is development. A city with a real downtown can only benefit all of us, including the tourists.:cool:

In my mind it will create more diversity in the county as a whole. The Beach is very insular in a way, a lot of people do not go because they can't stand the traffic, the parking, and so forth.

It works the other way too.

I live on the mainland, it's so easy for me to go downtown and get clothes at Ross Dress For Less, where my beachbound friends get the same stuff for three times the price, or it's easy for me to hit the Publix a block from my house, where people on the beach have to go to their Publix and pay a premium price for everything. A lot of people on the beach want to go off the beach for cheaper goods and services, but cannot because the transit options are limited to some buses and cabs...the statistic is something like 1 in 10 people on South Beach do not drive, and they would benefit enormously from such a system. It would create a diversity in the economy, and maybe Beach retailers would lower their prices as they would be forced to compete with cheap goods coming in from the mainland.

It would also cut down on DWI-related accidents on the causeway at night. In June, the MetroRail system will switch to a 24 hour schedule, I'm assuming the new links will be the same way. I see a lot of accidents on my way home or to Space at night, from minor collisions, to fender-benders and worse. It'd be great if all's you had to do was hop a train to go downtown, and you'd be all set. Leave your car on the beach and get it in the morning.

Like it or not, the Beach is going to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The Beach is part of Dade County, it's about time they realized it. I'm glad I voted for the transit bill.

Originally posted by pod

In my mind it will create more diversity in the county as a whole. The Beach is very insular in a way, a lot of people do not go because they can't stand the traffic, the parking, and so forth.

It works the other way too.

I live on the mainland, it's so easy for me to go downtown and get clothes at Ross Dress For Less, where my beachbound friends get the same stuff for three times the price, or it's easy for me to hit the Publix a block from my house, where people on the beach have to go to their Publix and pay a premium price for everything. A lot of people on the beach want to go off the beach for cheaper goods and services, but cannot because the transit options are limited to some buses and cabs...the statistic is something like 1 in 10 people on South Beach do not drive, and they would benefit enormously from such a system. It would create a diversity in the economy, and maybe Beach retailers would lower their prices as they would be forced to compete with cheap goods coming in from the mainland.

It would also cut down on DWI-related accidents on the causeway at night. In June, the MetroRail system will switch to a 24 hour schedule, I'm assuming the new links will be the same way. I see a lot of accidents on my way home or to Space at night, from minor collisions, to fender-benders and worse. It'd be great if all's you had to do was hop a train to go downtown, and you'd be all set. Leave your car on the beach and get it in the morning.

Like it or not, the Beach is going to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The Beach is part of Dade County, it's about time they realized it. I'm glad I voted for the transit bill.

Word.;):cool: