Clubplanet Nightlife Community

bringing audio recorders and mics at ultra??

my friends and i are headed down to ultra next week, and i was planning on bringing a small mic and minidisc recorder to do a live recording of some of the ultra sets. my question is, has anyone had any experience with bringing recording equipment into the venue before? I'd rather know beforehand so I dont have to be turned away at the entrance..

Good lord, the sound quality would suck. What, you think this is a Phish concert? Bootlegs from the audience, especially in dance music, the quality is horrid. It's being webcasted in part, just record the audio feed off that.

Geez.

Originally posted by pod

Good lord, the sound quality would suck. What, you think this is a Phish concert? Bootlegs from the audience, especially in dance music, the quality is horrid. It's being webcasted in part, just record the audio feed off that.

Geez.

u go boy!!!!

Originally posted by pod

Geez.

If that's your view of things, you'd probably be quite surprised at what i can pull off. i use separate binaural mics (one hanging over each shoulder or ear), powered by a tiny amp, which allows the mic to handle much higher sound pressures. the cardoid design allows the mics to be pointed at the speaker stacks, and the end result is low noise and a good sensitivity response regardless of whether the music is playing heavy or softly. And of course there's no better medium for live music than minidisc. The recordings i make with this setup don't sound any worse than a typical 'live' (non-studio) essential mix. you hear some crowd noise every so often, but being able to fine tune the stereo imaging by moving around or adjusting my mics yields a very reasonable recording.

uh-huh. MD's compression scheme is horrid. Miserable low-end, compression artifacts all over the place. If you were going to even attempt to record a set at Ultra, DAT is the only portable format you could conceivably pull it off with.

I've been to plenty of shows where people use just what you are describing. Prosumer shit if you ask me. The results are lackluster at best. The only way I can "justify" going through the costs and efforts of live taping is for the jam band set, where it's just that, a "jam", you might never hear that again.

I'm not talking out of my ass either, I used to be a lighting technician for a local sound company, and that involved plenty of time chatting with the sound engineers of shows and what not...I'm not the expert, but I know what will and will not work in a show.

Besides, they certainly won't allow any sort of recording equipment, video or audio, into Ultra.

Most segments of Ultra will be broadcast in some fashion, just check the usual sites for the times, have someone record the feeds, and don't worry about it :)

"horrid" is a rather exaggerated statement, eh? md compression schemes are far better than mp3, and even an mp3 recording would be more than appropriate for a a live setting where you have a lot of noise to begin with. here's a paper that describes the md compression result as -better- than cd quality ->link. imho the recording bottleneck exists not at the media/compression being used, but in the microphone equipment. you can use a no-compression dat recorder, but the show's still gonna sound like dirt with a $40 bestbuy sony mic. a good pair of mics can make a cassette recorder sound good.

but i'm not here to debate md quality anyway, just wanted to know if i can bring my equipment in. well, if i can manage to get just my md recorder itself past the gate that should work, since my mics are pretty undetectable. we'll see what happens i guess.. or maybe its not worth the trouble... <sigh>..

It's not worth the hassle. They're wanding everyone that walks in. Your MD deck and super-duper mics are gonna be detected and told to take a hike or worse.

MP3s sound like shit, MD sounds like shit, CDs sound decent, DVD-Audio sounds fantastic, and a properly mastered and cut vinyl is wonderful.