Clubplanet Nightlife Community

vanity...

dgmodel

when it comes to men and women and dieting... who do you feel is more into it??? (and i am not speaking about those half assed dieters, or ppl who say they are meanwhile they order big mac, fries, and diet coke, however the serious ones who stick to a strict regiment and etc.) i feel in the long run, men are more into then women, and definately more vain...

... I'd have to disagree...If you're talking about reasoning behind dieting and fitness I would definitely say women historically win overall in the vanity department. That however is a product of how we view gender and what asthetic standards we hold each up to..

Nowadays tho, with all the prissy males running around..I'd say its an even heat...

I think the majority of men are more dedicated......but give a woman a real reson or a competitive purpose and we blow the men away in that department......

Some people are just vain to begin with......pre or post gym days........so those are clearly the more dedicated....anything to turn ALL heads in his/her direction right?

some times its a bit TOO much......but I def. say there are circumstances that lead a person to be more "into it", other than self esteem and gratification.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

Nowadays tho, with all the prissy males running around..I'd say its an even heat...

:laugh:

i dont think either one is more into it, i think it is pretty individual. some people take health seriously some dont, it has nothign to do with their sex. i am very strict about my diet, i havent eaten mcdonalds in like 8 years or something. i just think that place is nasty. i have one of the strictest diets ever and i dont consider myself on a diet, it i just how i live... women are definitely more vain though.

hmmm...see, this is weird...

I def. don't think men stress as much about it....and I also think when they do diet they see quicker results than women. However..when i think of a man's fitness regimen, I always think of a man toning, bulking up, and worrying about definition.

As far as women are concerned, fitness is an ongoing effort. There's things women go through, childbirth, menopause, even a change from teens to 20's-30 that change the way our body works. I think it's an ongoing effort to maintain.

as far as vanity is concerned...I don't see it as a one sided deal. I've seen vain men, and equally vain women. Nothing sticks out in my head that either of the two are ahead.

going along with what phunk said, i think how vanity manifests itself, and the sorts of feelings that prompt the desire to look good, may be a product of gender roles/identity.

i think many women feel DESPERATE to look a certain way, and feel that their identity is very much tied to how they look. when they think they don't live up to how they should be, it's like they've failed as a human being. it's not surprising, considering how much our culture still places a greater emphasis on aesthetics than brains (how many guy mags are out there than have spreads with IQ, GPA, earnings, samples of artistic/writing talent, etc with each woman instead of a good shot of her boobs?)

with men, while they also feel the desire to be attractive, it doesn't seem as though they feel like they've failed AS MEN when they don't live up to societal standards. after all, a man can be sexy even if he has a little paunch or carries a bit too much bulk, but women-- in general-- will just be considered fat and undesirable.

Originally posted by marcid21

As far as women are concerned, fitness is an ongoing effort. There's things women go through, childbirth, menopause, even a change from teens to 20's-30 that change the way our body works. I think it's an ongoing effort to maintain.

Originally posted by wideskies

going along with what phunk said, i think how vanity manifests itself, and the sorts of feelings that prompt the desire to look good, may be a product of gender roles/identity.

i think many women feel DESPERATE to look a certain way, and feel that their identity is very much tied to how they look. when they think they don't live up to how they should be, it's like they've failed as a human being. it's not surprising, considering how much our culture still places a greater emphasis on aesthetics than brains (how many guy mags are out there than have spreads with IQ, GPA, earnings, samples of artistic/writing talent, etc with each woman instead of a good shot of her boobs?)

with men, while they also feel the desire to be attractive, it doesn't seem as though they feel like they've failed AS MEN when they don't live up to societal standards. after all, a man can be sexy even if he has a little paunch or carries a bit too much bulk, but women-- in general-- will just be considered fat and undesirable.

Bravo- well said ladies! :clap:

Women do seem more vain, but I think that is just misinterpreted, I think it's more insecurity that comes off as being vain....

Like with me, I am extremely self-conscious and insecure, so I do take time and care with my body and how I look, dress, etc. And I know people that don't know me well view me as vain, when in actuality, its just major insecurity....

Originally posted by Mystify22

Women do seem more vain, but I think that is just misinterpreted, I think it's more insecurity that comes off as being vain....

Like with me, I am extremely self-conscious and insecure, so I do take time and care with my body and how I look, dress, etc. And I know people that don't know me well view me as vain, when in actuality, its just major insecurity....

u r purrfect. :heart: enough of your craziness!!

Originally posted by Mystify22

well... why is it that you feel so afraid of being found unattractive? why is it so important to you that you come across as perfect as possible?

are you also concerned about whether people think you are friendly, spiritual, smart, or talented? there are, in all likelyhood, other aspects of YOU that people want to know about.

sometimes i think that people who spend 99% of their day worrying about how their bodies look don't spend enough time thinking about other ways to excel in life. i don't mean to imply that in Mystify's case, since i don't know her at all, but a bit of introspection never hurt anyone.

Originally posted by wideskies

well... why is it that you feel so afraid of being found unattractive? why is it so important to you that you come across as perfect as possible?

are you also concerned about whether people think you are friendly, spiritual, smart, or talented? there are, in all likelyhood, other aspects of YOU that people want to know about.

sometimes i think that people who spend 99% of their day worrying about how their bodies look don't spend enough time thinking about other ways to excel in life. i don't mean to imply that in Mystify's case, since i don't know her at all, but a bit of introspection never hurt anyone.

Yes, I am also concerned with how I come cross in all aspects, not just my looks, but that's just part of who I am, who I've always been. I'm not proud of it, but I do care way too much about others opinion and how they think of me. A lot might have to do with some issues in my personal life and growing up without a father, but I'd rather not get into that. I am still very young, and trying to work towards not caring so much about whatever everyone else thinks. I am a work in progress.

I was just making a point that insecurity about oneself is often mistaken for vanity.

I do care about many other things outside of my physical appearence, but since the thread was about physical vanity I only spoke of that aspect of myself.

my vanity is only rivaled by my laziness :)

but seriously, I do enjoy looking good better than looking bad. It just makes your day to have a nice looking girl (well any girl actually) check you out.

When I was younger I thought I was totally unatractive, but now I realize I was just an asshole. maybe that has something to do with it :)

look at how society has shaped our views on how women and men are supposed to look like...you'd never see men tweezing their eyebrows, shaving their hair off their arms, legs,faces, whatever...putting on makeup, starving themselves, wearing certain clothes...using endless amounts of cleansers, toners,etc etc etc...we are forced to look a certain way...and it has been that way since centuries...in the past, women would wear corsets so they would look thinner....while in the caribbean and parts of africa, women who are more rounded are considered more attractive than thinner women....

during the manchu dynasty, women were forced to bind their feet (lily-feet) enduring excruciating pain...all in the name of vanity because men considered petite feet to be attractive...

hands down, women have had to suffer to look beautiful...and continue to do so today...look at the shit we see on TV all the time..all these anorexic, fake looking models showing off in ads for makeup and linguire....it's sad...very sad....then you have little girls sticking their fingers down their throat so they can look like these girls...who are in fact, not real. they are airbrushed and chemically changed....but ....i guess it's up to the person to see that...

men also go through shit like this...but women definitely top them....

Men are just as vain as a woman, only they do not admit it. I think most guys would rather die than admit they're on a diet. Now especially they have reason to be vain. Historically women have chosen a man who can provide rather than one who is a hottie, but now things are different.

Originally posted by sassa

look at how society has shaped our views on how women and men are supposed to look like...you'd never see men tweezing their eyebrows, shaving their hair off their arms, legs,faces, whatever...

LOL. men tweeze/wax. some anyway, some really need to and dont. a lot of men do groom themselves, they shave their faces, do their hair, wax themselves. men do a lot of stuff to look "good"

Originally posted by somebitch

LOL. men tweeze/wax. some anyway, some really need to and dont. a lot of men do groom themselves, they shave their faces, do their hair, wax themselves. men do a lot of stuff to look "good"

ok you have a point...but this industry is more targeted towards women...no?

Originally posted by sassa

look at how society has shaped our views on how women and men are supposed to look like...you'd never see men tweezing their eyebrows, shaving their hair off their arms, legs,faces, whatever...putting on makeup, starving themselves, wearing certain clothes...using endless amounts of cleansers, toners,etc etc etc...

everything except for the make up part is me...

Originally posted by somebitch

omg yes. Soooo many guys I know get their eyebrows waxed, buzz the hair on their arms, legs, and are extremely conscious of their looks, etc. They are like psycho about their hair, clothes, working out/dieting. I think it's becoming just as bad w/guys these days, they have just as much pressure to look good.

Originally posted by bkissa

Men are just as vain as a woman, only they do not admit it. I think most guys would rather die than admit they're on a diet. Now especially they have reason to be vain. Historically women have chosen a man who can provide rather than one who is a hottie, but now things are different.

You know, that's a very interesting point you've raised...