VENUE: THE SUNSET ROOM

NIGHT YOU ATTENDED: SATURDAY 8/9 & 8/23

PROMOTION THAT NIGHT: FASHION SHOW ON 8/23

(1-10, 10 being best)

Decore: 8

Buzz: 7

People's Hot'ness: 7

People's Niceness: 7

Street Parking: N/A (walked there from home)

Cover: $20/each 1st time, Guestlist 2nd time

Strangest Thing: The main room smelled SO horrible, it smelled like a dirty, sweaty bathroom. I couldn't believe it. Nasty. But because I enjoyed the music and got on the guestlist after my first time, decided to go again this past Saturday night. However, huge crowd, and very very rude doormen. So unorganized, it wasn't even a line outside, just a mob. There was nothing special about this club to make it worth the chaos and the rudeness of the doormen. Don't believe the hype on their website, no celebs, and just wannabes.

Best Thing: Good music.

Things You'd Change: The smell and the doormen, also, they seem to let the ugliest, shadiest guys in.

Would you go Back: No, even though I'm on the VIP guestlist, no no no.

• 2 weeks later...

Ferry Corsten & Rebecca Sin @ House of Blues

NIGHT YOU ATTENDED: Friday

PROMOTION THAT NIGHT: No

Cover: $20

(1-10, 10 being best)

Decore: 10 - contemporary

Buzz: 10

People's Hot'ness: 9

People's Niceness: 9

Review - Ferry was OK but Sin was really really good. A good crowd and a beautiful venue

Private Warehouse Party for Labor Day Weekend

NIGHT YOU ATTENDED: Saturday

PROMOTION THAT NIGHT: Yes

Cover: $15 and up

(1-10, 10 being best)

People's Niceness: 10

Our choice for Best Music Party of the Summer of 2003! That good. Read here

Dodgers!

NIGHT YOU ATTENDED: Monday

(1-10, 10 being best)

Box seats. Great place! Great Fun! Great food. But they lost :(

Monday Night Social @ Las Palmas

NIGHT YOU ATTENDED: Monday

PROMOTION THAT NIGHT: Yes

Cover: $5 and up

(1-10, 10 being best)

People's Niceness: 10

Going 7 Years Stong, MNS at Las Palmas was great. Great music. Bar promotions all night. Cover paid for your free BBQ! Just not a lot of people. If you haven't been to Las Palmas == GO! It's a great great small to midsized venue.

consider this a followup/ gripe on Ferry @ HOB:

*General Admin was $20, but Ticketmaster and HOB together gouged event goers enough to jack the total up to $33. WTF???:mad: Damn the middle man.

*Ferry started the set strong, and kept the crowd going. But could've had a stronger finish. My friends and I played groupie and handed Ferry our ticket stubs for his autograph. He ended up giving them back to the wrong crowd :mad: :mad: But I forgive him since he rocked the house. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thursdays @ 9000 Lounge

NIGHT YOU ATTENDED: Thursday

Cover: $10

(1-10, 10 being best)

People's Niceness: 9

Review - Attendance is down, but there is an overall slowdown in the city currently

Well ... know that some people on this board love Spundae .... but we all can have are own opinions..... so here's LALate's review.

Saturday @ Spundae (George Acosta)

Cover: around $20, plus or minus

(1-10, 10 being best)

Decore: 7 - contemporary

It nice. Considerably better than Arena. The room flow is good, the staff cleaning all night is good. But in an era like this where onenight parties in warehouses are pulling more decore per square feet, this place is very nice but leaves you wanting them to spend more $$ spent on decore.

Buzz: 5

People's Hot'ness: 2

Never saw so many people who acted like they were hot and they were just not attractive people. You thought you were in Sky Bar or something lol.

People's Niceness: 3

If you come with your friends you'll have fun because there is a large contigency of people that were fighting, heckling -- you just didnt feel safe there.

Overall Review-

The venue is really great. The patio (and the bbq that runs all nice is excpetional) and the staff is sweet as sugar. The light show is amazing. The front room had the best house music act (non headliner) we think we EVER saw.

So what did we not like - the people. Unkept (even at 9 pm), unpresentable ... some fighting ... some shouting/reckling like thugs at people from across the room trying to pick fights ... let's just say, many people told us that they felt unsafe, the karma was very bad.

The ratios - 9 guys x 1 girls.

The place doesnt take credit cards anywhere -- our opinion -- that's just wrong.

Would we go back -

If we couldn't hear the exceptional music we heard (in the front room) somewhere else , yes we'd return.

If we can hear the music somewhere else - no, would not go back. Absolutely not. In the era of exceptional house music warehouse parties, and great house venues like Las Palmas and others, The cover is too much money for a venue that gives you so little (and is lacking security like you can't imagine!).

I know everyone's entitled to their opinions, and will form their opinions based their exeriences.

With that said, I'll just add that every single one of my visit to Spundae has been a pleasant one. Sure there are the pre-mature clubbers that just can't handle their substance. But I've never seen a fight break out, or anything close to a fight. The club goers are super nice, friendly, and down to earth. in fact, I dub it "the People's club" because its the one place I know of where the event promoters really look out for its patrons - the music lovers and dance fanatics. This is a venue where people go to enjoy a good show, not put on a show.

In a location as diverse as So Cal, sometimes it doesn't seem realistic to rate clubs based only on a few criterias.

Just my 2 cents :blank:

well, i've been going to spundae regularly for 2 years now and i have not only never witnessed a fight, but have never heard heckling, yelling in any sort of negative fashion, or even come across a disagreement. that place has the most chill patrons anyplace. and i can think of no other club where i've felt safer; it's not just a bunch of sleazebags out to pick up chicks and slutty girls only there to be picked up. the people at spundae love the music they come to hear. you'll rarely find someone there who doesn't know who the dj is, unlike at almost every other club i've been to (besides red), especially in hollywood or new york.

this may not seem like a "dress-to-impress" kind of place, and that's because it isn't. people just don't obsess over what other people might think about their outfits. the primary goal is to have fun - not to be a clotheshorse. there's a great, big dancefloor, and it's meant for dancing :idea: !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ckub Sugar: corner of Broadway & Lincoln, in SMC

Night Atteneder: Sat

PROMOTION THAT NIGHT: no

Cover: $6 before 11pm, $12 after

(1-10, 10 being best)

Inside Decore: 7 - contemporary & comfy

Music: 8

Relax Feel: 9

Parking: Free/ metered

So this is not a big name venue, but rather a smaller pub/ lounge type place. Although the club is small, it is cozy and comfortable. The patrons are friendly but off the wall - there were some pretty flamboyant guys there that night. The music is of the traditional trance variety. So if you want great trance music to chill to, talk with some friends, and just kick it, this is the place.

The ambiance is nicely set by the colorful lights and cush couches. Doors to bathroom are see through, for you voyeurs' pleasures. One negative of the place is the drink selection. For some reason they don't make mixed drinks. Closest thing is the Soju which ran a ghastly $7, but gives you a good buzz for the $$$. Beer selection is few and costly. Swingers dinner is conveniently located next door, and opens till 4am for your grubbing pleasure.

Originally posted by borlab

I noticed that PVD is scheduled to spin at the Mayan Theater on October 30th. It looks like a cool place...

Can anybody comment on the vibe there, and especially the sound system / acoustics.

Thanks!

i love the mayan :aright: . i won't put up an official review 'cause it's been a very long time since i've been there and i've only been twice, i think, but i'll be there for pvd and i can put up a review after that - if you don't beat me to it :tongue: !

it's an old, beautiful club, though, with a few levels and therefore a choice of where to hang out. the dancefloor is huge, and i seem to remember that the lights were good. the smoking patio was really crappy, though - just the alley, and very loud. i don't smoke, but i like to go outside when i need a breath of fresh air after dancing a while, and the alley is so cramped that the air isn't fresh. and with the volume so loud out in the alley, it's not the best place to converse with yer pals. last time i went, there was a lot of text-messaging going on :funny: .

there was loads of well-lit street parking if you get there early enough, and my friends and i are real early-arrivers. i recommend that in general, as a clubgoer. and, seeing as this will be pvd, you should get there early to avoid bullshit lines, even for pre-sales.

o, and i can guarantee the vibe will be electric and positive; it always is for pvd out here :D !!!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really looking forward to seeing PVD at the Mayan. I can imagine something tribal in that setting, like the scene in Matrix Reloaded where they have the big party in that underground city.

What time do you think PVDs set will start?

I'm also getting excited about PVD at Glow in Washington DC on Oct 11th... the more I listen to his music, the more I like it!

Cheers!:)

• 1 month later...

Wednesdays at White Lotus.

Was there last week. Great as always.

- Stafff very nice

- Venue beautiful with some new recent changes

- The people (can we say it? lol) SO HOT

- Music - exceptional blends of main and nonmainstream hip hop

Really fun (and well poured drinks too!)

- LALate.com

Great question :) ... Venues change week to week. LALate's committed to having up to date information, floor to ceiling, week to week, by actually going to the venue to find out.

The update = Wednesday at White Lotus are still as strong as ever.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by lalate

Hey Weyes and CP! Let's start a New Club Review Section! What a better way to know whether it's better to hit up a club or not.

I'll start the thread below this to set up the format. Let's do it folks! :)

Originally posted by lalate

"The greatest darn techno, coolest crowd, and funkysexy venue with best poured drinks (maybe, best in almost 12 months) made this an incredible night with an intimate feel!"

= REVIEW

• 1 month later...

Party: Thursday (last night)

Review:

Best Female DJ Lineup ever under one house -

DJ Rebecca Sin (she is soooo good)

DJ Lisa

DJ Irene

Crowd: Very thin

Cover: Special Discounted guestlist with LALate.com

Thumbs: Two thumbs up. Staff is nicer now, patio has minor new renovations, music not too loud, and the music - just great.

• 4 weeks later...

Review #-------

THE LOUNGE

short review ... LALate PreOscar Bash at the Lounge

Venue --- reallllllllllllly dont care for it. Very simply - it's a lounge lol. It feels like it's your living room and its about THAT SMALL ... the whole venue is basically a staircase so if your vain or bored all you do all nigh tlong is walk up and down this circular Dynatsy-esq staircase all day.

Soundsystem - dreadful

Staff - Very nice

Decore - Average Very Average retro (or not updated) 1980s chandeliers and mirrors (very 1960s) with some lepoard prints ....

ooo -- just needs a major renovation :(

Oh - and TOO dark upstairs.

Really a very average venue.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

VENUE: Deco's

PROMOTION THAT NIGHT: Jett Set

(1-10, 10 being best)

Decore: 8

Buzz: 7

People's Hot'ness: 8

People's Niceness: 8

Street Parking: None (unless you get there early)

Cover: $20 ($10 if on list)

Strangest Thing: VIP beds?