Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Divine Playground in Bayfront Park? Circa 1993

illuminaughty

Just curious if any one on this board is old enough to remember what was the ULTRA of the early 90's "DIVINE PLAYGROUND" that was at Bayfront Park. This event was totally ahead of it's time and its events like this that paved the way to what we now know as ULTRA. Considering back in that time electronic music and culture was very underground, and parties (raves) were held throughout Miami and Fort Lauderdale mostly in illegal warehouses. As I look back I still wish some of these parties and clubs that we now go to could recreate that feeling when all you needed to go out was jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers. If anyone was there you'll remember

some of the dj's that played there: Sven Vath (while he still played hard trance), MICRO, DJ HEll,Cosmic Baby some of the acts that played Utah Saints,House of Pain and a mind-blowing performance by MEAT BEAT MANIFESTO. There were other parties such as MAYDAY at the Mahi-Shrine Temple , dj's named PEZZ,KRYPTO,PSYCHOSIS,STRYKE and very up-and coming THREE were the ones that were tearing it up playing music that we all knew as hard trance and techno. Another astonishing and incredibly well produced underground party was known as ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE that was held on Virginia key in Key Biscayne. I cant begin to describe to you the feeling of hearing REZ by UNDERWORLD for the first time. While it was inevitable that electonic music would grow in popularity and go a little more mainstream one just cant help wishing to go back to that time even if it was just for one night. please dont think Im bashing clubbing culture here in South Florida because I still enjoy it, but trying to give you a glimpse of how things used to be about 10 years ago when we would of never thought an event such as ULTRA would of ever taken place.....

Dammmm...not to age myself too much but I remember Divine..I went mainly to see 808 state.... they were a huge infulence on why I became a dj in the first place..it was a great nite.....it was new and fresh..exciting...as was Ultra year one..

Times change..cant go back..only foward...although I have fond memories of clubbing past...there are still good time to be had...and memories to be made...thank goodness the scene has evolved to the point where we have events like Ultra, a radio station and now a TV station...

For someone this year it will be there first Ultra and ten years later hopefully they will be talking about seeing Tiesto, Edgar V, Sasha and Digweed for the first time back in 03..

peace

david

Greg , do you remember the line-up? some one we might have missed? also I cant help but mention the Global Warming parties in Lauderdale (anyone that doesnt know, this was a converted warehouse with projector that played mainly ambient and hard trance later in the evening. Im sure you'll remember the night FAX owner and ambient extraordinaire Pete Namlook played, recorded and named his cd after that night.

those are moments that you look back at and cant help but get a lump in your throat just thinking about whatever happened to Ambient Junkie (Javier Drada) or FITZ?

Originally posted by illuminaughty

Greg , do you remember the line-up? some one we might have missed? also I cant help but mention the Global Warming parties in Lauderdale (anyone that doesnt know, this was a converted warehouse with projector that played mainly ambient and hard trance later in the evening. Im sure you'll remember the night FAX owner and ambient extraordinaire Pete Namlook played, recorded and named his cd after that night.

those are moments that you look back at and cant help but get a lump in your throat just thinking about whatever happened to Ambient Junkie (Javier Drada) or FITZ?

you can't forget 808 State's performance. Moby came onstage and joined them to play guitar! Global Warming...now, that brings back memories. That was something that I did with DJ Louis and Mary (from Mary's House on WVUM), Ken Coleman, and Dave Kelly (now producer Kelly D). We had a ball doing that. We also did a party with Richie Hawtin and Jonah Sharpe (Spacetime Continuum). Ahh, the old days. Fitz now lives and does a radio show in Puerto Rico and Ambient Junkie is living in New Orleans (I think) where he runs a hotel and lives with his wife.

some of my fave tracks back then:

Hardfloor - Aceperience 1 (Harthouse)

Jam & Spoon - Stella (R&S)

CJ Bolland - Mantra (R&S)

Basic Channel - Phylps Track (Basic Channel)

Polygon Window - Surfing on Sine Waves (Warp)

Autechre - Incunablua (Warp)

Union Jack - 2 Full Moons and a Trout (Rising High)

F.U.S.E. - Substance Abuse (Plus 8)

there were so many more. but, it's 5:25 AM in the morning and i need to get back to mortal kombat ;)

haha..yeah divine playground was my first major rave I attended.

Greg, I remember seeing you live on the beach SOMEWHERE in 1994, all I rememer was that I was aspiring to begin making music and I asked you a little about playing etc...you were really cool talking about it after your gig...

I remember going to see Paul van Dyk at the Edge in Ft Lauderdale in 1993....THAT was trance...he mixed Acperience for a good 20 minutes, and the whole place went insane....with those hanging flood lights that swung from side to side over the stage...and this guy that came on the stage covered in glowsticks...he began spinning and the glowsticks flew in all directions over the crowd

We took efedrine and stayed up til 9am...lol

yep, it was RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE b4 they hit the big-time!

another gem of a party was ENCOUNTERS at the design district w/Noel Sanger, (I want say MURK though not sure) Dr. Psychosis

and headlining was Sven Vath, that was during conference and

Richie Hawtin was playing "THE EDGE" (pre Chilli Pepper) the same night!

dont mean to reminisce so much but does anyone remember

"THE INSTITUTE" on lincoln road mall? This was a huge warehouse-style club very dark and cavernous . Skinny Puppy played there a few times

Originally posted by stryke303

some of my fave tracks back then:

Hardfloor - Aceperience 1 (Harthouse)

Jam & Spoon - Stella (R&S)

CJ Bolland - Mantra (R&S)

Basic Channel - Phylps Track (Basic Channel)

Polygon Window - Surfing on Sine Waves (Warp)

Autechre - Incunablua (Warp)

Union Jack - 2 Full Moons and a Trout (Rising High)

F.U.S.E. - Substance Abuse (Plus 8)

ah.. those are kick ass choonz.. Basic Channel is SOLID and the classic Stella (which I had the pleasure of hearing you dropping it)... Hardfloor brings back memories, Harthhouse was such a good label...

I was at that one as well.......when I saw that name of that old rave I couldn't believe it May day, & Raindance. I get a lump in my throat and a jolt in my stomach. I use ta say that too, "If I could just go back even for just one night".......I can't help wondering about us generation X ravers if for just a brief moment in history we were somehow part of a subculture. Kinda like the hippies in the 70's. We actually got to live the taboo that those now chase. We were the Genesis. Yes the music has evolved, but have those who listen now? I remember this recipe......The pill...... that unlocks the door, A DJ..... the guide that shows you the way, the music.... that brings you there to god that place within you, and people.......the others that are also going THERE with you. What a vibe.........How lucky we were.

• 14 years later...

illuminaughty, its been years since your post above, but you mention the show Artificial Intelligence that happened on Virginia Key in 1993.  Do you happen to know what the full lineup was, or maybe have a copy of the flyer?  That was my first introduction to electronic music that has now spanned a lifetime.  Would love to remember more about the show.  thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2017 at 4:47 PM, Patton said:

illuminaughty, its been years since your post above, but you mention the show Artificial Intelligence that happened on Virginia Key in 1993.  Do you happen to know what the full lineup was, or maybe have a copy of the flyer?  That was my first introduction to electronic music that has now spanned a lifetime.  Would love to remember more about the show.  thanks!

I believe I was there with you? And I do believe the line-up included Juan Atkins, Laurent Garnier... maybe Sven Vath. I recall projections of Star Wars spaceships going in reverse. Dancing outside until the sun came up. Magic. 

• 1 month later...

hello guys, artificial intelligence was me and my crew! that was our baby! came across this thread doing a random search for pics of ai. didnt find any. to answer your question bout line up, it was:

juan atkins

cjbolland (didnt show cause of fear of flying)

dj jeff (perverts dj doing the acid jazz)

junior

and me..

crazy times, lots of fun, honored someone remembers it! juan tore it up that night! it was me who played rez. i still have the pink vinyl! actually, ambient junkie has it for safe keeping, long story...

i have some flyers somewhere.. if u guys are still interested ill dig it up. i also know i have a vhs tape of ai and of the id. man, that shit was fun! u guys remember Cosmic Shuttles?!?!?!

peace!