Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Connecticut Clubs

Funktion's breaks night is actually pretty sick. I mean, it isn't a superclub or anything, but the sunken dance floor is very cool and the lasers beat most of CT's fare.

The DJs are amazing! Atomic Hooligan did one of the best sets I've ever seen and Quest threw down some serious bombs. The Drum & Bass guys are all skilled as well - more than once the bass has knocked all the bottles off the back wall.

But the 2am curfew sucks:mad:

I've been DJing in CT for some time now (I worked at Premiere on Fridays for years, now I work at Liquid on Saturdays and Mor on Sundays), and for those of you that have criticized the scene, I definitely hear what you're saying. The 2 AM closing is a major problem, and always will be. It's impossible to compare any local scene to the city, though. NYC will always have far and away the best vibe, and you can't compare places like Liquid and Ego to clubs like Exit and Sound Factory. NYC has people from all over patronizing its clubs, while CT clubs (or LI or NJ clubs, for that matter) are populated mostly by locals. The people I play for want to hear a more mainstream style of music than you would hear in most major NYC nightspots, yes, but I don't think that makes them cheeseballs. Is a night out in Stamford or Norwalk the ultimate experience in nightclubbing? Of course not. But a place like Liquid is inexpensive, it's always busy, there's rarely ever any drama there. It's apples and oranges, that's all I'm saying.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

....:woah:...stalker!!...:laugh:...

I think i got one too

Ive Had It seems to have a healthy obsession with me, cant be too sure who or why, but its prolly one of the many people I've pissed off on this board !

And CT is dead, you have to go to raves if you want to hear any halfway decent music. In 2000 it peaked, then the news got all over it, and then dance music (System & Insominia) became equated with drug use after the media attention it recieved. Any club that played techno was a risk for most "normal" clubbers, because of the "crack house" reputations that the after hours clubs recieved. Thank You Media.

Raves are like Unicorns and The Pot Of Gold under the rainbow they don't exist!

(This Is What Raves Really Are)

Promoters book a multi room club put 50 shitty DJ's on a flyer (Possibly a decent Headliner) and really just throw a Teen Night!

Originally posted by mattm2o

Raves are like Unicorns and The Pot Of Gold under the rainbow they don't exist!

(This Is What Raves Really Are)

Promoters book a multi room club put 50 shitty DJ's on a flyer (Possibly a decent Headliner) and really just throw a Teen Night!

hey now!

There is some truth to your "broad" judgement of raves, but it goes from promoter to promoter..and I will tell you that some of the most talented DJ's in US play at more raves than clubs. Just because you havent heard any of the "shitty" DJ's on a huge flyer, means nothing, there are so many sick DJ's out there with no recognition, and just because they arent headliners or club residents, doesnt mean they arent good!

But I do know what you are saying...there are partys thrown exactly as you have described, but, if you know where to look and where to go, there is quality, just as in clubland

Originally posted by rocksteadyct

And CT is dead, you have to go to raves if you want to hear any halfway decent music. In 2000 it peaked, then the news got all over it

Dayam, the scene definitely blew up in New England in 1999-2000. I was driving hours to parties in Western Mass, Upstate New York, Connecticut, Boston... in between my weekend trips back home to Twilo/Tunnel... ;)

Then the N.E. scene *poof* disappeared. It was a good run though. :cool:

Originally posted by kitty19

Then the N.E. scene *poof* disappeared. It was a good run though. :cool:

Ahh the "scene" is not gone per say, but is just back where many of the originators wanted it...underground!

It makes for more "grown up" parties, just ask Jaysea about this problem in springfield LOL

hopefully it is a wave though, never hurts to have more ravers in the world, even if they get all e-tarded, at least they wont get into a lot of fights (it happens, but not often)

I live in CT and school in NY, and def can tell the difference... you get tons of locals and college crowds in any of the big CT areas, Hartford, New Haven, SoNo, Stamford... And like someone else said, apples and oranges. CT is a good time, not worth traveling to necessarily, but inexpensive with relatively attractive single peeps. There are waves though... Hartford was banging years back with Bar With No Name, Velvet, System, Insomnia (now Vibe). Hartford died and now there are parties that are good off and on.

Just 2 cents though, Alchemy in New Haven on College and Crown street (www.alchemynightclub.com) has a sick thursday night party. Seriously looks like something out of a girls-gone-wild video. it's a big space, gets crowded with tons of college girls then adds liquor and contests... that's a place to check out.

CT is ok i guess, I usually end up going to new haven or norwalk anyway. Im in Fairfield county so NYC is just about as far a Hartford and wouldnt make sense going up that way. I do wish there were a few more clubs to goto though in CT. I remember back in the day goin to Palladium in NYC and lovin it. Ahh well.. At least NYC is only like a hr away.

Originally posted by rocksteadyct

And CT is dead, you have to go to raves if you want to hear any halfway decent music. In 2000 it peaked, then the news got all over it, and then dance music (System & Insominia) became equated with drug use after the media attention it recieved. Any club that played techno was a risk for most "normal" clubbers, because of the "crack house" reputations that the after hours clubs recieved. Thank You Media.

I had the misfortune of going to College in CT from 95-99, the last decent thing that I remember going on there was in about 97... Musically peaked in 2000?? By 2000 it was an absolute horror show.

Originally posted by jimk29

I had the misfortune of going to College in CT from 95-99, the last decent thing that I remember going on there was in about 97... Musically peaked in 2000?? By 2000 it was an absolute horror show.

Ahh i never said musically, I meant more in "numbers" as in the nightlife.

And I had just turned 18 in 2000, so my opinion is from a new genereation's perspective (i think in "nightlife" generations are about 3 years)