A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG!!!!

'Saddam Is Done,' Marines Exult in Captured Town

Friday, March 21, 2003

SAWFAN, Iraq — U.S. Marines hauled down giant street portraits of Saddam Hussein in a screeching pop of metal and bolts Friday, telling nervous residents of this southern Iraqi town that "Saddam is done."

Milling crowds of men and boys watched as the Marines attached ropes on the front of their Jeeps to one portrait and then backed up, peeling the Iraqi leader's black-and-white metal image off a frame. Some locals briefly joined Maj. David "Bull" Gurfein in a new cheer.

"Iraqis! Iraqis! Iraqis!" Gurfein yelled, pumping his fist in the air.

"We wanted to send a message that Saddam is done," said Gurfein, a New York native in the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. "People are scared to show a lot of emotion. That's why we wanted to show them this time we're here, and Saddam is done."

The Marines arrived in Safwan, just across the Kuwait border, after Cobra attack helicopters, attack jets, tanks, 155 mm howitzers and sharpshooters cleared the way along Route 80, the main road into Iraq.

Safwan, 375 miles south of Baghdad, is a poor, dirty, wrecked town pocked by shrapnel from the last Gulf war. Iraqi forces in the area sporadically fired mortars and guns for hours Thursday and Friday. Most townspeople hid, although residents brought forth a wounded little girl, her palm bleeding after the new fighting. Another man said his wife was shot in the leg by the Americans.

A few men and boys ventured out, putting makeshift white flags on their pickup trucks or waving white T-shirts out truck windows.

"Americans very good," Ali Khemy said. "Iraq wants to be free."

Some chanted, "Ameriki! Ameriki!"

Many others in the starving town just patted their stomachs and raised their hands, begging for food.

A man identifying himself only as Abdullah welcomed the arrival of the U.S. troops: "Saddam Hussein is no good. Saddam Hussein a butcher."

An old woman shrouded in black -- one of the very few women outside -- knelt toward the feet of Americans, embracing an American woman. A younger man with her pulled her away, giving her a warning sign by sliding his finger across his throat.

In 1991, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis died after prematurely celebrating what they believed was their liberation from Saddam after the Gulf War. Some even pulled down a few pictures of Saddam then -- only to be killed by Iraqi forces.

Gurfein playfully traded pats with a disabled man and turned down a dinner invitation from townspeople.

"Friend, friend," he told them in Arabic learned in the first Gulf War.

"We stopped in Kuwait that time," he said. "We were all ready to come up there then, and we never did."

The townspeople seemed grateful this time.

"No Saddam Hussein!" one young man in headscarf told Gurfein. "Bush!"

"No Saddam Hussein!" one young man in headscarf told Gurfein. "Bush!"

STUPID....JUST PLAIN STUPID....

Protesters raise their red-painted hands outside the U.S. Consulate in the northern port city of Thessaloniki, Greece, Friday, March 21, 2003. More than 60,000 people took part in a march against the U.S.-led war against Iraq (news - web sites). A four-hour nationwide strike called in opposition to the war brought Greece to a standstill. Schools and universities closed to allow students to protest. (AP Photo/Nikolas Giakoumidis)

attachment.php?postid=1380755

I just saw on the news scenes from Safwan being liberated, US troops ripping down posters of saddam along with the people of Safwan helping, the Us troops and the people there shakign hands....What an awesome sight to see..Another fuck you to some of you retarded anti war assholes..

Originally posted by girly

I just saw on the news scenes from Safwan being liberated, US troops ripping down posters of saddam along with the people of Safwan helping, the Us troops and the people there shakign hands....What an awesome sight to see..Another fuck you to some of you retarded anti war assholes..

1st, that's one picture of it. what about the 14 soldiers in the helicopter that died so far, and the dozens more expected? You don't see the helpless civilians all bloody and hurt due to the bombs. You see what you want to see, which is distorted.

2nd, war may be an answer for some things, but not all things. If you were talking like you were during the vietnam, you would feel pretty stupid. War didn't help in vietnam,,, it only made things worse...

Now im not an "anti-war asshole"-- in fact, war has it's place. But i still can't help but wonder the hidden interests and reasons justifying this war :rolleyes:

Originally posted by gmccookny

1st, that's one picture of it. what about the 14 soldiers in the helicopter that died so far, and the dozens more expected? You don't see the helpless civilians all bloody and hurt due to the bombs. You see what you want to see, which is distorted.

2nd, war may be an answer for some things, but not all things. If you were talking like you were during the vietnam, you would feel pretty stupid. War didn't help in vietnam,,, it only made things worse...

Now im not an "anti-war asshole"-- in fact, war has it's place. But i still can't help but wonder the hidden interests and reasons justifying this war :rolleyes:

i don't see what i want to see.. I can only imagine the death and destruction that is there and going on there.. My point is that those specific pictures are total reminders to me of what we are doing there and what our soldiers are fighting for and they are just proof that this isn't a war against islam like some people on here have said it to be. And i certainly never said war is in an answer for everything.. again no one wants to go to war. .. Unfortunately I believe War is an answer for this situation.. Hidden interests or no hidden interets the reasons we are there right now are VERY evident.. and it seems if things go as planned, which of course no one knows what will happen, but I feel pretty confident that this world will be a better place when this is over with..for EVERYONE.. I do feel very sad right now with everything that is going on but again I believe this world will be a better and safer place..

Originally posted by gmccookny

People like you opposed the US involvement in WWII. They even spoke the same bullshit about "hidden interests" and "agendas". Should we have just decalired war on Japan and not Germany?

My point: This is one bad dude who tourtures, kills, lies, supports terrorists, and a bad dresser. He needs to go. The fact that you can't see that means you need to grow balls.

i am proud to be an anti-war asshole!!!!

Originally posted by sassa

i am proud to be an anti-war asshole!!!!

yeah i know this already:rolleyes: I am NOT proud that people like my brother put their lives on the line for YOUR safety and well being though..;)

Originally posted by guyman1966

My point: This is one bad dude who tourtures, kills, lies, supports terrorists, and a bad dresser. .

WHAT? HE IS A BAD DRESSER?

Dude why did we send troops there? we should have just send some South Beach fags to deal with the bad dresser.....

trust me, you dont want to see a pissed off SOBE fag dissing your waredrobe, it could get very ugly.... :D

yeah i know this already:rolleyes: I am NOT proud that people like my brother put their lives on the line for YOUR safety and well being though..;)

i never asked your damn brother to fight for me. i would ask him to fight for those that injustice has been done to...

he's fighting for the wrong side. no offense, but no matter what you say, i cannot support a military who's run by a bunch of lying, old, two faced hyppocrites.

bottom line: i feel bad for these poor young people who are fighting...but i feel even worse knowing that they are fighting for an unjust reason.

Originally posted by dnice35

terrorist!

watch your words...don't play with that word....i am not a terrorist...and you better stop directing that word against me, you punkass.

i don't appreciate being put on the level of palestinian suicide bombers, the IDF, the russian mafia, or the US government.

i never asked your damn brother to fight for me. i would ask him to fight for those that injustice has been done to...

he's fighting for the wrong side. no offense, but no matter what you say, i cannot support a military who's run by a bunch of lying, old, two faced hyppocrites.

bottom line: i feel bad for these poor young people who are fighting...but i feel even worse knowing that they are fighting for an unjust reason.

get the fuck out of this country, you fucking terrorist.

You are really a nutcase and you live in America, just remember that..:)

Originally posted by guyman1966

If she is so happy to see US armed forces, the least she could do is show them her tits.

you are shameless, absolutely shameless!

that is someone's mother or grandmother......really, you have no class...:blown:

watch your words...don't play with that word....i am not a terrorist...and you better stop directing that word against me, you punkass.

i don't appreciate being put on the level of palestinian suicide bombers, the IDF, the russian mafia, or the US government.

the US goverment? you fucking skank, dont ever say that again.... idiot!

and just so you know my brother is fighting so that you and your family are not killed sometime in the near future.. get it fucking straight!

You are really a nutcase and you live in America, just remember that..:)

like i'm supposed to respect your opinion.....

so what if i live here? it doesn't mean i should like the gov't....

another point: why am i a nutcase? because i haven't been blinded by the bullshit the US gov't is feeding us about their reasons for invading iraq?

then fine, i am the biggest nutcase in all of human history if that is the case....

who the fuck do you think you are....