Clubplanet Nightlife Community

U.S. Ambassador Bolts Debate on Iraq War

vicman

U.S. Ambassador Bolts Debate on Iraq War

By EDITH M. LEDERER, Associated Press Writer

UNITED NATIONS - The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations (news - web sites) walked out of a debate on the Iraqi war Thursday after Iraq (news - web sites)'s ambassador accused the United States of trying to exterminate the Iraqi people.

"I did sit through quite a long part of what he had to say but I'd heard enough," U.S. Ambassador John Negroponte said.

Iraq's U.N. envoy Mohammed Al-Douri charged that the United States had arranged for contracts to rebuild Iraq in 1997, six years before the U.S.-led war began last week.

Negroponte got up and walked out as Al-Douri continued speaking, accusing the United States of a military campaign to wipe out the Iraqi people.

"I don't accept any of the allegations," Negroponte said.

Al-Douri said the United States had even planned the carving up of Iraq before Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990.

Almost spluttering, he said the United States now was using the issue of humanitarian aid to hide its "criminal aggression."

The Iraqi envoy urged the Security Council to halt the war in Iraq, saying ending the conflict was even more important than getting humanitarian assistance into the region.

ah yes, mr. negroponte, remember meeting the asshole when he was ambassador to mexico. his "distinguished" track record in latin america speaks for itself. :rolleyes: