configuration=twin turbo v6 dohc

power=404.2 kw / 542.0 bhp @ 7000 rpm

Torque=644.0 nm / 475.0 ft lbs @ 4500 rpm

and just so you know the red line is at 7200

top speed 212.3mhp

0-60=4 sec flat

0-100=8 sec

oh and its curb weight is 3025 lbs

the 1994 was pretty much the same car but the one that was different was the 1988 prototype... instead of a twin turbo v6 it had a V12, it didn't had as much hp as the v6 but I still wouldnt bitch about 530hp @ 7000rpm

0-60= oh yeah 3.5 sec

whether you people like it or not , the 3000GT is an Icon in Japanese sports car history. PERIOD!

Tell me how many other 6 cyl Normally aspirated cars came with 220hp stock back in 1991 that weren't exotics?! That is just one example of how it was ahead of its time.

Originally posted by vindiesel

Tell me how many other 6 cyl Normally aspirated cars came with 220hp stock back in 1991 that weren't exotics?!

uhhhh what?!?!?! thats not an accomplishment...

the 300zx n/a was 220, the n/a supra was 230, the acura legend was 200, subaro svx was 230... do i need to continue?

stick to arguing the VR-4, it actually is a really nice car nomatter what these chuckleheads say...

the n/a 3kgt didn't have any of the good features... no AWD, no allwheel steering, no motorized spoiler, no turbos, was still pretty heavy...

Originally posted by joeg

the 300zx n/a was 220, the n/a supra was 230, the acura legend was 200, subaro svx was 230... do i need to continue?

stick to arguing the VR-4, it actually is a really nice car nomatter what these chuckleheads say...

the n/a 3kgt didn't have any of the good features... no AWD, no allwheel steering, no motorized spoiler, no turbos, was still pretty heavy...

lol... i was just about to post the same shit...

300zx n/a - 222hp with Nissan Valve Control System (NVCS) and

Electronic Multiport Fuel Injection

supra n/a - 225hp with vvti

rx7 gtu - was at 190, but then again rx7's wasnt really a v6 either....

I tell you what. I used to own a Supra and before I bought my r/t TT. I test drove the rx7 tt, the 300zx, and the newer Supra TT. Take each one on a test drive. Take them to 140mph and start weaving threw traffic. then you will know why are cars are the best to have for a mid range sports vehicle. Yeah you are right there are alot of fast cars in japan that is fine and dandy. Do you live there cause it seems you live in the USA and I dont see those cars here. I see these cars here. and there isn't awhole lot of cars that can stand up to the vr4's on the street. Average price now days for a BRAND NEW! vr4 91-93 $14k, 94-96 $17k 97-98 $20k, 99 $26k.

Originally posted by spacemonkey

I tell you what. I used to own a Supra and before I bought my r/t TT. I test drove the rx7 tt, the 300zx, and the newer Supra TT. Take each one on a test drive. Take them to 140mph and start weaving threw traffic. then you will know why are cars are the best to have for a mid range sports vehicle. Yeah you are right there are alot of fast cars in japan that is fine and dandy. Do you live there cause it seems you live in the USA and I dont see those cars here. I see these cars here. and there isn't awhole lot of cars that can stand up to the vr4's on the street. Average price now days for a BRAND NEW! vr4 91-93 $14k, 94-96 $17k 97-98 $20k, 99 $26k.

Average price now days for a BRAND NEW! vr4 91-93 $14k, 94-96 $17k 97-98 $20k, 99 $26k.

how is this remotely brand new? yes im going to get a brand new 91 vr4 with 2 pieces of knee pads on my hood that dont do jack shit...

here we go again... vr4, vr4, vr4, vr4, vr4... why not talk about base model vs base model?

btw : there is a reason why honda took out 4 wheel steering on their preludes... cuz it sucks~! so dont think that the 3000gt was the first to getit.. cuz 4 wheel steering sucks and will make you DIE

yeah, but who cares about stock suspension... they're all crap compared to aftermarket...

in my opinion, you have to take a look at the aftermarket availability and cost when you're talking about a "GREAT" car...

i mean, theres been plenty of turbo cars over the years, but only the ones that had an affordable and available aftermarket survived... i mean, suzuki made some AWD turbo thing in the 80s, but i can't even remember the name now... and no one else does either because they're not around today...

hell, look at the 5.0 stangs... their stock suspension is garbage... but theres some REALLY nice ones out there with reasonable amounts of cash spent on them... i believe they're one of the most modded cars ever... the aftermarket is ENOURMOUS... and its dirt cheap aswell....

what am i going for here?? i don't even remember... i think i'm just babbling at this point...

whatever... if you like your car, and you mod it to the best of your ability/wallet... then you get props... and everyone else can go fuck themselves... :aright:

:D

Originally posted by atomicapples

Average price now days for a BRAND NEW! vr4 91-93 $14k, 94-96 $17k 97-98 $20k, 99 $26k.

how is this remotely brand new? yes im going to get a brand new 91 vr4 with 2 pieces of knee pads on my hood that dont do jack shit...

here we go again... vr4, vr4, vr4, vr4, vr4... why not talk about base model vs base model?

btw : there is a reason why honda took out 4 wheel steering on their preludes... cuz it sucks~! so dont think that the 3000gt was the first to getit.. cuz 4 wheel steering sucks and will make you DIE

you toolbox, those kneepads are only on the stealth, not the 3kgt... their 4wheel steering kicks in only above 30mph... lets just end this shit... jesus...

this is a FAVORITE CARS thread, not a trash the vr4 with half-accurate comments thread...

and to quote myself:

If you like your car, and you mod it to the best of your ability/wallet... then you get props... and everyone else can go fuck themselves...

atomicapples: all i gotta say to you is... WHY DON'T YOU GO SUCK A FAT BABIES BALLS!!!!!!.

i've previously owned a 3kgt and now a supra... and the 3kgt is a cherry ass car for it's price, got a vr-4 w/ 56k miles on it for 8g's. my supra was motha f$ckin expensive. later on i'll buy another 3kgt and spend the extra grands i've spent on my supra to mod the shit out of it.

peace-

The "Knee Pads" were on all first gen 3/S's (3000GT and Stealth)

1st gen is 91-93

and they are not useless. if you take them off, there are holes in the hood underneath them. this is because the tops of the strut towers are taller than what the hood is, and they stick through the holes. (obviously)

the 2nd and 3rd gens also have the same problem since they all use the same body. But from 94 to 99, the redesigned hood has the bumps incorporated into it, so it is less noticable. they are just long humps on the sides.

I love my car, and I dont give a damn what anyone else thinks. ;)

Originally posted by lazer3kgt

The "Knee Pads" were on all first gen 3/S's (3000GT and Stealth)

1st gen is 91-93

My mistake...

Originally posted by lazer3kgt

I love my car, and I dont give a damn what anyone else thinks. ;)

EXACTLY. :)

Originally posted by cintron

The AWD transmission it has, tends to bias a large amount of load on the front wheels, especially during cornering under throttle. This makes the car feel as if it bogs down and tucks the front under during mid corner.

Hard launching on ANY awd tranny is going to break something eventually.

For a quick street-based performance car, a 3kgt is a fun ride, but it is handicapped by it's bulk and limited potential for power output. i really consider it the fat pig of the Mitsu family.

Have to make a correction here. The AWD system on the VR4 does NOT bias power to the front wheels

Direct excerpt from Jeff's site:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-awd.htm

In summary, the claimed 45/55 front rear torque split for the AWD 3000GT/Stealth only applies when the VCU is not limiting differential rotation rates and 1) the transfer case is removed so that center output shaft can rotate at a different rate than the front output shaft, 2) the front wheels are slipping and so rotate slightly faster than the rear axles, or 3) the car is just beginning to move (analogous to either the carrier or sun gear being locked). Once the car is moving and there is the same traction at all wheels, torque is split evenly (50/50) between transfer case and front differential.

I have had my VR4 for 2 years, see sig for details, It is pretty built and I launch HARD at 4500-5000 ALL THE TIME. Anyone who knows me knows I drive my car like I stole it, I am 34 yrs old so I don't drive like an idiot 16 yr old that don't know better...But I don't baby it. Matter of fact I run an RPS Stage 3 6 puck meant for the strip only. It is not a forgiving clutch and not a slip engage clutch it is a positive engage clutch. It's either grabbing or not...no slip in. It hits hard. Spinning all 4 if I want to. I have NEVER had a problem with the tranny. EVER. NO TC problems, no Sychro issues either which is the only real issue with the trannies. 2nd and 5th sychros can wear out. But the trans itself is rock solid. Some have damaged the output shaft but Kormex has a bulletproff replacement for that.

It is a heavy car. I'll give you that. And you can feel that weight while driving. Anyone saying you can't is kidding themselves. BUT I have had turboed and SCd hondas and Acuras. At 130mph those cars are scary. Too light for that speed. I have been beyond 175mph in my VR4 (built not stock) and it feels as solid and sure footed as it does at 80mph. The VR4 is a GT, Gran Tourer. It is meant to be heavy, it's a touring car not a drag strip car. Although the 3S has gone down the 1/4 in FULL interior stock trim in the 10's and even on STOCK bottom end. Then drove home in style.

WRX? NOT ONE has come close to taking me at the line or from a roll and yes, that includes modded ones.;)

Chris

IPO

ok i'll give it to you guys that you don't see 9s vr4s like you do Supras, but you will be very soon. The vr4 is starting to get better aftermarket support....for the lack of aftermarket support there is itz amazing how fast the cars go now. Everything on a 3kgt costs an arm and a leg, cuz it al has to be custom made and half the things available for cars such as the Supra, 300zx, and rx-7 arent' even available for the 3kgt yet we still have cars in the 10s range....and ontop of that with a FULL INTERIOR, so for those of you that think the 3kgt can't overcome its heavy weight you are WRONG. Matt's run was on a stock bottom end and on TD04 housing turbos since we have been limited to that housing for quite a while now, but no longer. We now have new products that will allow the running of TD05 turbos so we can now slap on sum big turbos. So if people have been able to run in the 10s range with the smaller turbos what do u think will happen when we slap on some 16gs, 18gs, or even 20gs? Just wait, u'll be seeing alot more from the 3kgts in the year to come.....

the 3kgt is like a fine wine....it gets better as it ages.

Originally posted by joeg

in 91 the supra did not have 230 and the svx did not have 230. The 300ZX had about 210 but did not look anywhere as good as a 3000GT nor did the legend which shouldn't even be compared.

biased

adj 1: favoring one person or side over another; "a biased account of the trial"; "a decision that was partial to the defendant" [syn: colored, one-sided, slanted] 2: excessively devoted to one faction [syn: one-sided]

Sorry, but you are using the wrong term. Biased means more for one than the other. A 50/50 split is NOT biased. It's equal.

Now, the Skyline's electronically controlled AWD is awesome. Hands down it rules over the Mitsu AWD system. No question;)

I just wanted to add that the Stealth and 3000GT VR4 have 4 wheel "in phase" steering activated above 35mph only. You can't compare this to most of the cars in the past which had 4 wheel out of phase steering(ie: prelude). It's like comparing NOS to electric turbos. :D

I dont know if this was mentioned before in previous pages, but i dont feel like reading them all, the 3000GT is heavy, sure, but it runs 13.5 1/4 mile stock, Supra 13.5, 300Z 14.0, calling it heavy and an ugly car is ridiculous....And it is incredibly reliable, think on EDmunds.com they reviewed a 99 VR-4 and it received a 9.4 out of 10. Yes it is pricy, onl because its a 99, i have a 95 taht cost me 17K there is no difference in performance only in body differences.....Sure you havent seen them in magazines recently, mostly because 3000GT owners dont want them in there....it would probably become played out just like thesupra that you see on every other page of the magazine.....and for not being fast, check out GT Pro werthey are going to make a 1000+ HP vr-4 that doesnt weigh 3800 lbs, tell me it wont be fast, and pretty :)