Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Jokes in Languages ??

Alot of people say " I can't tell this joke in English it won't make sense.. it sounds better in ::says another language::"

It appears that jokes told in another language are capable of being funnier compared to being told in English..But being that English is my only language, I dont understand how a joke could be funnier in a different language if they both translate the same idea?? Could some1 who speaks more than 1 language explain this for me?? :)

i guess it has a bit to do with knowing the culture of the language....some things aren't funny in english as they would be in arabic or hebrew or russian....

the wording has something to do with it...and certain things that only people from a certain country get ....like a famous sitcom character or a running joke in the country...i dunno....

It really has nothing to do with the wording. People from different cultures have a different sense of humor. Even though I grew up in America, I am Russian and understand both types of humor. They are very different. If I try to tell a Russian joke to an American friend they think it's dumb, even though it's really funny.

Can anybody translate a ::enter language here:: joke for us?

Originally posted by bkissa

It really has nothing to do with the wording. People from different cultures have a different sense of humor. Even though I grew up in America, I am Russian and understand both types of humor. They are very different. If I try to tell a Russian joke to an American friend they think it's dumb, even though it's really funny.

Can anybody translate a ::enter language here:: joke for us?

................ok..............

:blank:

Originally posted by hotbarbiedoll

Alot of people say " I can't tell this joke in English it won't make sense.. it sounds better in ::says another language::"

It appears that jokes told in another language are capable of being funnier compared to being told in English..But being that English is my only language, I dont understand how a joke could be funnier in a different language if they both translate the same idea?? Could some1 who speaks more than 1 language explain this for me?? :)

it is true most of the time jokes lose their meaning or are not as funny when u translate it to english, it always happens to me:D