Clubplanet Nightlife Community

fuck - i hate programming!

awesome - good luck! vb is a strange language - they use different terminology for things then every single other fucking programming language on the face of the earth.

i program in c++, java and perl, but right now i'm using matlab, a programming language mostly for science and engineering - it is very big on matricies and has specialized functions for signal processing that make it really easy to rapidly prototype your ideas - except for this past week, of course. on the downside, it's slow as shit unless you have a lot of processors running in parallel and it really encourages sloppy code, so you have to be extra-careful not to screw anything up (like i did this week).

are you in a CS program? or just learnin to code to increase your marketability?

peaz,

rob

I hear ya man. Programming can suck big time! Luckily I don't program anymore.

I barely can remember how to program these days. I learned Pascal, Ada, Assemblyx86, C, C++, Java, Perl, and Prolog while in college. The most useful for me in the real world ended up being Java and Perl, but then I changed into the enterprise event/network management field and spent more time scripting then anything.

And now I'm happily taking a break from technology period :)

peace

cool, some programmers on the board.

i took matlab for operations research& thought it was hard, give me C++ / java any day. it looks archaic, & i'm so used to OOP now.

Originally posted by dialectics

so i just spent a week trying to figure out how to do something that... had i actually thought about it... would have taken 20 minutes.

god dammit.

sorry - needed to get that out of my system.

i'm in a intro to programming class now learning c..

i have program that is already late that i have to give in tomorrow if i'm gonna get any credit whatsoever on it.. but i dont' know what i'm doing.. sucks to cuz the programs are so basic.. its like 10 or 15 lines of stupid code and i still dont' know what i'm doing.. lol

what is the program?

Originally posted by PFloyd40

i'm in a intro to programming class now learning c..

i have program that is already late that i have to give in tomorrow if i'm gonna get any credit whatsoever on it.. but i dont' know what i'm doing.. sucks to cuz the programs are so basic.. its like 10 or 15 lines of stupid code and i still dont' know what i'm doing.. lol

Originally posted by dialectics

awesome - good luck! vb is a strange language - they use different terminology for things then every single other fucking programming language on the face of the earth.

i program in c++, java and perl, but right now i'm using matlab, a programming language mostly for science and engineering - it is very big on matricies and has specialized functions for signal processing that make it really easy to rapidly prototype your ideas - except for this past week, of course. on the downside, it's slow as shit unless you have a lot of processors running in parallel and it really encourages sloppy code, so you have to be extra-careful not to screw anything up (like i did this week).

are you in a CS program? or just learnin to code to increase your marketability?

peaz,

rob

Its an elective for my networking degree. Just wanted to touch on it and see what it was like, ya never know when you need to create a nasty Virus or trojan horse :D J/K

Originally posted by nyckitty69

what's up w/ .php? suddenly it's everywhere.

i heard it's like .asp but free source.

PHP is kind of like a mixture of Perl, Javascript, and ASP, and like JS and ASP it works primarily on the client side rather than on the server like Perl, JSP, C, etc. Very easy to learn, I highly recommend it.

hey all - just got out of a wretched mtg w/my advisor. we spent the last 2 hours in total silence as he tried to code to make up for my "mistakes". fuckin a - every time i have one of these it makes me depressed for a week. i don't have time for self-doubt - the ISMIR and WASPAA deadlines are in 24 days...

anyway, to respond to everyone's stuff:

gqraver: yeah i'm thinking about taking a break from technology myself - i don't think i could ever do enterprise stuff, not really my cup of tea, but maybe taking a year or two off to work on music would be hot... now if only i didn't spent all of my dotcom money on gear, booze, trips to europe and graduate school.....

nyckitty: OR??? that stuff is insane - i'm electrical engineering and that's the only subject i consider "hard" besides topological math. but yes there are a few of us left - lots of programmer heads left the board over the years, but feel free to geek out on us - we'll still love you in the morning. actually, we'll probably love you for it.

brooklynkid: do you do freelance? sometime down the line i'll be looking for a small flash animation for my music site. tho keep in mind the fact that i'm a poor graduate student.

PFloyd: good luck on your program - post up questions if you've got 'em. working on stuff other then what i actually have to work on is much more fun :P

peaz,

rob