Clubplanet Nightlife Community

THOUGHTS ON ZEN

ravepapa

Well the moron kids we have here in Florida were all gathhered in the DnB tent all day and all night and when florida's all time cheesiest dj Icey went on all the idiots rushed to the mainstage to see him. Proving once again these florida wannabe ravers know shit about good electronic dance music. This was probably by far the lamest Zen. All my friends that spun at Zen this weekend went to the bank to deposit their checks and they all got the same thing from the bank. INSUFFICIENT FUNDS! They are all pissed off. They must have lost a ton of money. It sucked if you didn't go it's no big deal you didn't miss anything.

well i can't speak for any action after 7:00pm but during the day i met some really nice people.... but from what i noticed is that no one was at any of the local tents... a majority of the crowd was at the drum and bass tent... and i can see why.... more on this later.............

------------------

GARY P.(ARTISTRY @ NEVIS)

FREE YOUR MIND

well i did say i would post my thoughts..... and here it is.... i agree with you when you said this years Zen was by far lame.... we went to a few tents and saw local talenet (if you want to call it that )on stage train wrecking ..... i'm not saying i'm the world best dj ( not yet) but if your going to play at Zen you should have pride in your mixing... because this will follow you as you go..... the only dj i thought had some skills was dj domination.... i was impressed

.... it was sad to see that no one even supported the local dj's most of thents were empty.... that's when we met up with Ben Richards .... and all around nice guy...hope to do some work with him in the future... dj trip2night had a wicked drum and bass set ( more of a jaz type d&b loved it )... dj rap was damn good along with ak1200... not sure how the night went after that i had leave.... it was on to bulldog cafe....... for a wicked after party...

------------------

GARY P.(ARTISTRY @ NEVIS)

FREE YOUR MIND

[This message has been edited by ravepapa13 (edited 11-30-2000).]

Originally posted by ravepapa13:

well i did say i would post my thoughts..... and here it is.... i agree with you when you said this years Zen was by far lame.... we went to a few tents and saw local talenet (if you want to call it that )on stage train wrecking ..... i'm not saying i'm the world best dj ( not yet) but if your going to play at Zen you should have pride in your mixing... because this will follow you as you go..... the only dj i thought had some skills was dj domination.... i was impressed

.... it was sad to see that no one even supported the local dj's most of thents were empty.... that's when we met up with Ben Richards .... and all around nice guy...hope to do some work with him in the future... dj trip2night had a wicked drum and bass set ( more of a jaz type d&b loved it )... dj rap was damn good along with ak1200... not sure how the night went after that i had leave.... it was on to bulldog cafe....... for a wicked after party...

Bro tell me your joking when you say the best was Dj Domination. He was fuckin horrible. He messed up so many times, it was str8 up noise coming out the speakers. If you think he was good you need to watch the 99 DMC video where Craze and Shortcut from the invisible scratch picklz tear shit up. When they scratch you can hear the music and it sounds good dominations set was str8 up distortion. Not to mention the fact that the idiot is sponsored by Gemini so he can only spin with gemini tables ***PUKE***

Dolla,

That was, I believe, the first real showing of turntablism that Ravepapa has seen so he doesn't have anything else to compare it to. Even though he did mess up a few times, I would hardly call his performance noise. I will agree, however, that guys like Craze, A-track and other DMC champs are much more technically proficient in their performances. I do think though that Domination should extend the length of his performance, being paid as he is, and bring some new and innovative techniques to the mix. The machete deal is getting a little stale. As far as the rest of Zen goes, it seems that Zen this year went less electronica and more urban than it has before. Obviously with Snoop headlining, that was to be assumed, but there were other signs as well. Overall, the biggest response seemed to be for the Drum-n-Bass tents. The Florida Favorites Tents were all but vacant for most of the day. What was amazing to me was how the entire crowd left everything as soon as they heard,"Bling,bling,bling,bling....(Still DRE) Snoop had everybody at his command. It's an amazing thing really, he sucks them in with the pop hook(still dre) and then he can drop on em whatever he wants. The guy is smart & talented. However, I for one, would like to see more yearly events dedicated to the ever evolving electronica scene. In England there are numerous yearly events, Tribal Gathering, Homelands, etc. I would also like to see a "gathering" that wasn't so based on profit. Everything at Zen was money. It seemed to take away from the "Zen" aspect of it all if you know what I mean. It would just be nice to attend a "gathering" and not pay grossly inflated prices for things that we all know aren't really that expensive. If you attended Zen Fest recently, you would see what I mean. $5 for a cheeseburger that was smaller than one you by at McDonalds for 39 cents, $5 for a bottle of water that even 7-11 wouldn't inconvienence you for more than a $1 or being told that parking cost $20 plus $5 tax. I'm just tired of people who could care less about the culture or the scene cashing in at our expense. These events are supposed to benefit the people who made the scene what it is today, not the vendors profit margins. Until next time.....Well, I've said my peace.....what does everybody else think?

------------------

Syversin

"Great art comes from great passion"

ARTISTRY @ NEVIS Fri Nights

[This message has been edited by syversin (edited 12-01-2000).]

Archived