Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cusick

kaydup

This one is good

01-04-2003

An Open Interview

I’ve received a few hundred emails from people who have read my column and among those emails there were many good points made and some important questions raised. It occurred to me that an open interview with club culture might be something of use and value. Perhaps it will be as useless as another Paul Van Dyk mix cd, but who knows…maybe it will be the greatest thing since Kraftwerk. We’ll see.

Anyone can answer any of the questions and I will post what I feel are the most well thought out and insightful answers, even if I strongly disagree with them. Let me know if you want your name/email/whatever appearing next to your answer or if you would prefer to remain anonymous. Email all answers to q6@xpander.nl and please remember to include the question with your answer. Don’t assume I’ll have any idea what you’re talking about based upon your clarity of thought or subtle expressiveness and articulation.

I’ve also taken the time to throw in a few questions here and there that I’m asked almost every time I am interviewed. They are among the most inane interview questions that can possibly be asked, I hope all of you enjoy laughing at them as much as I usually dread answering them. There are no stupid questions, only inquisitive idiots. So, here’s the inquiry…

1. What do you feel are the most important elements in a good clubbing experience? Obviously I’m looking for controllable factors here. We all know that Peace, Love, Unity and Respect (PLUR) among all true brothers and sisters is the preferred state and the eternal slogan of the spiritually maladapted. So, beyond that what is it that makes for a good club night?

2. Do you think that that your local government is doing the right thing in their effort to curb drug use at clubs?

3. Do you feel that drugs are even a relative problem at clubs at anymore?

4. What makes a good dj stand out from his contemporaries? Is it showmanship, music selection, mixing ability, persona, etc., etc.?

5. Do you believe that mp3 technology is to blame for the decline in the dance market? Or do you feel that it simply happened to coincide with a natural cycle of the culture?

6. Is mp3 trading theft?

7. Is it necessary to become a producer or dj to really participate in club culture? Are there too many dj’s?

8. Where are all the good drug dealers? And is that the real problem here?

9. Why are sluts shunned by so many?

10. What happens when a girl goes bad?

11. Should a beer really cost $8 a bottle in Miami during the Winter Music Conference?

12. How do you rate trivia?

13. Do you think that the dance culture is stifling or does it actually encourage experimentation and expression?

14. Why is Jimmy Van M so weird?

15. Is it possible that trendy clubs will always suffer the fate of trends?

16. What producers or labels do you see out there that are really pushing boundaries and maintaining a level of consistency and quality?

17. Where do you see dance music going?

18. How long will it take to get there?

19. Is the cost of going out to see superstar djs too much? If so, then what would be a fair price, if the event took place at a regular club night and they had added no extra production (ie. sound, lights, etc.)?

20. How much money is too much to see a dj’ing event?

21. How long have you been dj’ing?

22. When did you get your first turntables?

23. Does Sasha fart?

24. Is it a dj’s responsibility to push the boundaries of his or her “artâ€, or is talent, taste and intuition enough? Should dj’s be incorporating more technology into the process via samplers or effects units? Do you feel disappointed when they don’t?

25. Is “electroclash†really a sport?

26. Was Paul Oakenfold ever actually cool?

27. Was it just the drugs?

28. How much are you really influenced by dance music media? Would you buy a cd based on a review you’ve read? Do most of you realize that magazines mostly only report on products and personalities that are being distributed or promoted by their advertisers?

29. What artist or artists put the most effort into their live shows? Does electronic music translate into a live show environment very well?

30. Does anybody really like Fischerspooner?

31. Can mustard go bad?

32. Why is everyone always looking at the dj?

33. What exactly is the dj doing up there?

34. Is it fun to watch?

35. Is being a dj shameful?

36. Do you think a dj can actually hear what you’re saying when their headphones and monitor are on at full volume?

37. Are dj’s artists? Should they wear berets? and smoke French cigarettes?

That about covers it, I guess. I was going to write a pre-WMC and a post-WMC piece for xpander but I’m lazy. It was nice meeting several of you in Miami though. I had a good time, possibly too good. I’ve been sick for over a week now and can barely talk. The Winter Music Conference is a thinly veiled drug binge for most people. I’m happy to be home in New York. Ten flights up in a rundown tenement building with radon seeping up through the floor and rats lurking in the basement…nibbling on my telephone wires.

SPF 15,

Sean