Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Onstream 15gb (30gb compressed) Tape Drive

I need a bigger backup solution...

its brand new, i just got it replaced on warranty about 3 weeks ago, came in the sealed box... i still have the box, manual, etc...

i've done about 2 backups since it was replaced, so i can confirm it works perfectly...

its a Onstream SC-30 SCSI tape drive, with 6 15(30)gb tapes, and a cleaning cartridge used once...

works great, always been reliable... onstream is great with their warranty...

it goes for about $500 new with 1 tape... tapes are about $30 each... but with any used item, as soon as its opened it depreciates... so make me a reasonable offer... i'm not looking to get rich off this... just make some money to pay for another backup solution...

Originally posted by rdancer

why would you ever need such a monsterous backup system ?

Music.

and RAID is not a backup. It is a protection against drive failure - not against virii and human errors.

Originally posted by rocksteadyct

yes but cant you RAID and partition, therefore having a backup already in your case?

you can, but thats technically not a pure "backup" solution... the idea of a backup is to be completely removed from the machine incase of data error, or fire, or flood, or whatever....

but uhh... anyone wanna buy that drive? :confused:

raid is is not as reliable as tapes, but... it is considered as backingup... stripped, etc...

but for a tape to that that big.. its hardcore... will take forever to backup or retrieve files. (wonder where you got it from) but when i worked as a computer geek, they used these, and i used to make rope to pull my coworkers in their chairs with the data tape's strips.. all you need is 3 pieces and braid them... strong as fuck... or 9 for heavy duty pulling (fat guy that worked for nortel)

Originally posted by atomicapples

raid is is not as reliable as tapes, but... it is considered as backingup... stripped, etc...

but for a tape to that that big.. its hardcore... will take forever to backup or retrieve files. (wonder where you got it from) but when i worked as a computer geek, they used these, and i used to make rope to pull my coworkers in their chairs with the data tape's strips.. all you need is 3 pieces and braid them... strong as fuck... or 9 for heavy duty pulling (fat guy that worked for nortel)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tape drives aren't cost effective anymore....i haven't used one in probably 4 years....i have a 10/20Gb one gathering dust in my closet.

one thing you can do is buy a hard drive large enough for all your data, buy a drive tray thing, and instead of using raid, copy all files into it then remove the drive and store it in a safe place. to copy the files you can use a backup utility or a folder copy app.

here's what i do:

old machine on a lan with a bunch of large hard drives.

every night, i run a script that mounts them on my main box, and i run robocopy (free app, look on the net) to copy only the files that have been changed into it, then unmounts the volume. if i get a virus on the main box (never happened to me ever) then the data is safe because it's not visible to the box since it's only mounted when its copying.

if theres a fire or flood then i'm fucked but guess what...even with tapes....they'll get burned down as well unless you keep them buried in your backyard or something, so that's a moot point.

as far as raid, i've heard of raids fucking up and ruining all the data, plus my main box is used to multitrack recording and raid interferes with that, since the pci bus is almost all taken up due to the multitrack sound card.

from experience, the single biggest problem is hard drive failure....not viruses or natural disasters so this is pretty safe.