Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What the hell does it take to...

pod

...get a full house at a quality event?

I was at Stryke's opening night at Spi tonight. 300 people showed up throughout the night, with maybe 150 at a time staying put, until 3:45, when they called it a night. Meanwhile, next door, Rumi is packed with some jukebox DJ for their "International" (read: we can't afford a real DJ so we toss on some fucktard guy with CDs) night, and Kiss Steakhouse is mobbed across the street with the juiceheads, old and busted whores, and marvels of silicone engineering...while one of Miami's true production and DJ talents is largely ignored in a venue that could easily sink it's neighbors.

It's easy to get the educated set out. Post that DJ so and so is playing, and if he or she is good, they're at the party whether it is at Spi, or in my backyard next to the pool and hot tub. You know the crowd, chances are, you're one of them, and if I said I had Lee Burridge playing at my place, I'd have fend you all off with a stick...:) But unfortunately, there's not enough of the educated set for a club to do well on a night...so how does a club attract the necessary biomass to keep a good DJ around, while still maitaining their bottom line?

Greg had a great set though...he delivered for sure, even dropping the promised Ronny Van D tracks, which are excellent....

Well, discuss!

:( same happened to Nerve for Roger S and Jimmy Van M, or Maze and talented djs that were booked and noone showed up (to make the club seem full at least). Rumi's music is terrible, i agree, but that lounge is NOT about the DJ or the tunes, lets face it........:mad:

it all boils down to the fact that whoever has the biggest budgets to promote their club/nites get the draw. If people don't know about it, they're going to go with the tried and true, wherever they went last time, never questioning anything. Those are the same people who never question quality, and makeup the majority of consumer spending. Majority sells, and if it sucks, c'est la fuckin' vie..

well, doesn't that just SUCK?

:blank:

Miami is losing it's magical force of the masses, I think poeple rather stay home watch free Direct Tv! Listen to the Dance channel.......

NO more packed houses. unless its a internatinal DJ -- we have been spoild!

POD THANKS FOR THE INVITE... I DIDN'T GET IT TILL NOW.! GOOD LOOKING OUT.... I DIEING TO SEE THE VENUE.

Hum...I've been to Rumi twice this month to check out live performances and even though the place sucks as a live-venue, it was packed from wall to wall ( I mean fire-hazzardly-packed ) since I'm not a regular, I spent most of my time trying to figure it out...and I think I got it...headcount is high but quality is way down low...I clear my doubts when I finally met one of the owners...as it turns out, Rumi doesn't really rely on promotions...the bulk of their costumers consists of friends of a friend of friend of a firend...yup...most of the people there have been going there for a while and they're not there to dance or enjoy the music...they're there to see each other...it's a "hang-out" for the young-well-to-do...that completely cleared any doubt I had about that bozzo guy they have at the door...come on...silk shirt, slick greasy hair and a cigar??? A complete pimp wannabe...the time before last I was there...I was on two guest lists and still had to wait....when I was finally let in....the guy told me out loud on a smart ass tone (in spanish) "Te creo pero no te quiero" ( I believe you but I don't welcome you) wtf??? Fact is, the club is always packed...life is full of contradictions!

:confused:

Originally posted by pod

...get a full house at a quality event?

I was at Stryke's opening night at Spi tonight. 300 people showed up throughout the night, with maybe 150 at a time staying put, until 3:45, when they called it a night. Meanwhile, next door, Rumi is packed with some jukebox DJ for their "International" (read: we can't afford a real DJ so we toss on some fucktard guy with CDs) night, and Kiss Steakhouse is mobbed across the street with the juiceheads, old and busted whores, and marvels of silicone engineering...while one of Miami's true production and DJ talents is largely ignored in a venue that could easily sink it's neighbors.

It's easy to get the educated set out. Post that DJ so and so is playing, and if he or she is good, they're at the party whether it is at Spi, or in my backyard next to the pool and hot tub. You know the crowd, chances are, you're one of them, and if I said I had Lee Burridge playing at my place, I'd have fend you all off with a stick...:) But unfortunately, there's not enough of the educated set for a club to do well on a night...so how does a club attract the necessary biomass to keep a good DJ around, while still maitaining their bottom line?

Greg had a great set though...he delivered for sure, even dropping the promised Ronny Van D tracks, which are excellent....

Well, discuss!

Well said. Couldn't agree more about Rumi and Kiss Steakhouse.. I think things will go better next week. Greg dropped a massive amount of floorkillers :hat: Was nice seeing the usual CP mafia again.

Well, we've got a friend of a friend thing going too! AJ or Greg tells us, we tell others...etc..

Trick is, the whole group of people that are creatures of habit, i.e. the ones that go to Level or crobar just by default, are the ones that need to be wooed over. It's a downright sin that someone would go see Cedric fucking Gervais, or that bloody abortion that is Level nowadays, as opposed to a quality event.