Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Just so you're aware

Councilmember Evan's is trying to backtrack his anti-nighlife comments due to increased pressure. Also, check out Barrett Atwood's, president of DCNC, excellent letter to get a more detailed description of Jack Evan's actions over the past year and a half.

Online Article

Wednesday, May 7th 2003

Councilmember Evans’ Spin is Still Just a Distinction Without A Difference

***DCNC responds to misinformation spread by Evans

Councilmember Jack Evans recently tried to answer mounting criticism from D.C. pro-nightlife groups, such as DCNC , that his record is one of animosity and outright attack against nightlife here in the District. Unfortunately, Evans’ response, “Evans clearing the night airâ€, comes off as nothing but political spin.

At the heart of the attack are comments the Councilmember made January 29, 2002, at a D.C. Council hearing. Evans said “I can’t think of anywhere in this city that nightclubs are appropriate anymore. I can’t think of any of them… There are no areas that are appropriate for this type of behavior.†Since then, Evans has really taken it on the chin from nightlife advocacy groups. But in an effort to backtrack, Evans responds in his May 2nd newsletter, “I am for nightlife in the District. I like restaurants, bars, and clubs. I am against irresponsible ABC owners and non-responsive government agencies. These were exactly the type of establishments I had in mind at the January 2002 hearing when I said nightclubs are not appropriate.†However, this is the first time Evans has made the distinction between any and all nightlife business and those he deems as “irresponsibleâ€. Perhaps we simply misunderstood his comments about nightclubs having no place in D.C.? Not likely.

Until now, Evans has engaged in a full-on assault of bars and clubs in the District culminating in a bill he sponsored last year that would have effectively banned all live music, DJs and dancing. He is not now, nor ever has been, “for nightlife in the District.†There is long standing precedent under D.C. regulatory law that restaurants enjoy dual-use status: they may operate as restaurants, serving food, as well as offer their patrons live entertainment, music, or dancing. Evans’ bill would have effectively forced all businesses providing any entertainment into applying for “nightclub†licenses. “Nightclub†licenses are extremely expensive and nearly impossible to obtain, mainly because they were historically intended for strip clubs and nude bars.

If Councilmember Evans feels his bill targeted “problem nightclubs†then it only proves that he must think that all bars, taverns and clubs are “irresponsibleâ€, that music, dancing, and live entertainment are no longer “appropriate anymoreâ€, and all establishments providing such activities be subject to strict scrutiny, if not outright extinction.

Jack Evans may have “cleared the night airâ€, but it still stinks.

On May 6, 2003, DCNC sent a letter to Evans to address false information regarding DCNC that was distributed in Evans’ recent community newsletters and to address these recent “for nightlife†statements made by Evans. The letter is viewable at the following links:

Letter to Evans

The referenced misinformation and “for nightlife†statements were contained in Evans’ two most recent weekly newsletters, viewable at these links (both in PDF format):

May 2 edition

April 25 edition

DCNC

Guest jroo

this is fucking reDICKulASS, how do people get away with this shit? or even attempting to do this shit.

all bars, taverns and clubs are “irresponsibleâ€, that music, dancing, and live entertainment are no longer “appropriate anymoreâ€

Footloose anyone!?!

What an uptight asshole.:mad: