Clubplanet Nightlife Community

MLB All-Star Picks?

i've been too excited about basketball, so i haven't watched much baseball yet. but from what i have seen, u got some obvious folks, and some dissappointments. obvious folks having great seasons again would be arod, bonds, pudge rodriguez, delgado, vlad guerrero, smoltz ( best reliever right now), soriano, mussina, andrew jones,jeff bagwell, gary sheffield, armando benitez (lol, j/k). some dissappointments thus far have been tejada who should not make it, randy johnson, omar vizquel, ichiro suzuki, piazza (and for that matter the entire mets team). few surprises who should make it have to be carl everret and gonzalez who seemed to have found there bats again, craig counsell, and if anyone is going to make it from the mets, it should be wilson.

I think All-Star rosters are 25 (maybe they're more though)....in any case, here's my prediction, taking into account that every team must have an all-star, and that the fans sometimes make stupid choices for starters....

NL:

C: Mike Piazza, Jason Kendall

1B: Todd Helton, Richie Sexson, Jim Thome

2B: Jose Vidro, Aaron Boone

SS: Edgar Renteria, Alex Gonzalez

3B: Scott Rolen

OF: Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Jim Edmonds, Albert Pujols, Vladimir Guererro, Gary Sheffield, Andruw Jones

SP: Mark Prior, Kevin Millwood, Adam Eaton, Curt Schilling, Roy Oswalt, Jason Schmidt

RP: John Smoltz, Eric Gagne

AL:

C: Mike Leiberthal, Jorge Posada

1B: Carlos Delgado, Jason Giambi

2B: Alfonso Soriano, Jerry Hairston

SS: ARod, Nomar Garciaparra

3B: Eric Chavez

OF: Ichiro, Rocco Baldelli, Magglio Ordonez, Garrett Anderson, Juan Gonzalez

DH: Edgar Martinez, Brad Fullmer

SP: Mike Mussina, Barry Zito, Pedro Martinez, Runlevys Hernandez, Mike Maroth, CC Sabathia

RP: Mike MacDougal, Troy Percival

Vance Wilson as an all-star is absurd....the guy isn't even a regular starter. Piazza will get voted in at Catcher, no doubt, but that's probably it...

Originally posted by brickhouse

I think All-Star rosters are 25 (maybe they're more though)....in any case, here's my prediction, taking into account that every team must have an all-star, and that the fans sometimes make stupid choices for starters....

NL:

Vance Wilson as an all-star is absurd....the guy isn't even a regular starter. Piazza will get voted in at Catcher, no doubt, but that's probably it...

u know whats absurd?? a guy with a 91 million dollar contract with only 3 homeruns and 6 rbi's. as for cathers. how could u leave ivan rodriguez out?? hes having a better season with the marlins than piazza and kendall combined.

Originally posted by FlipsSOE

u know whats absurd?? a guy with a 91 million dollar contract with only 3 homeruns and 6 rbi's. as for cathers. how could u leave ivan rodriguez out?? hes having a better season with the marlins than piazza and kendall combined.

Because Piazza will get voted in by the fans and Kendall is batting 35 points higher than Rodriguez. Rodriguez could easily make it in over Kendall, but Piazza being the fan selection is a no-brainer. Mike Matheny could also end up being the NL backup for catcher, but there's still a couple months until the all-star game, and the backups aren't selected until then, so I'm taking a gamble that Rodriguez will get injured (again) before the All-Star break.

Just the same way, there are plenty of other guys who don't deserve to be all-stars who are up there, but will get voted in (Ichiro, Jorge Posada, Piazza), or are just the best player on a really crappy team (Mike Maroth, Adam Eaton, Jerry Hairston). Also, I really don't think there's any deserving NL 3B this year, so I'm guessing that Rolen will get voted in, and then Helton will play 3B (his old position) when they decide to change things up...

BTW, Vance WIlson is probably only the 2rd best player named Wilson this year.....lemme check his line this year...

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

17 36 4 9 2 0 3 10 3 10 0 0 .250 .300 .556 .856

Yeah, those look like numbers that an AL manager is going to call the guy into the all-star game over. 36 ABs? Gimme a break...maybe if he continues on that pace once Piazza in moved to 1B, he has a shot. Still, unless Marlins fans suddenly start voting for the All-Star Game more than Mets fans, and Ivan breaks out so hardcore that people have to notice, and people actually pay attention enough to notice that Piazza is no longer a catcher, he'll be the catcher. That's a lot of ifs...

Originally posted by brickhouse

NL:

1B: Todd Helton, Richie Sexson, Jim Thome

2B: Jose Vidro, Aaron Boone

SS: Edgar Renteria, Alex Gonzalez

3B: Scott Rolen

OF: Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Jim Edmonds, Albert Pujols, Vladimir Guererro, Gary Sheffield, Andruw Jones

SP: Mark Prior, Kevin Millwood, Adam Eaton, Curt Schilling, Roy Oswalt, Jason Schmidt

RP: John Smoltz, Eric Gagne

AL:

C: Mike Leiberthal, Jorge Posada

1B: Carlos Delgado, Jason Giambi

2B: Alfonso Soriano, Jerry Hairston

SS: ARod, Nomar Garciaparra

3B: Eric Chavez

OF: Ichiro, Rocco Baldelli, Magglio Ordonez, Garrett Anderson, Juan Gonzalez

DH: Edgar Martinez, Brad Fullmer

SP: Mike Mussina, Barry Zito, Pedro Martinez, Runlevys Hernandez, Mike Maroth, CC Sabathia

RP: Mike MacDougal, Troy Percival

Ahem, sorry to correct this very nice post, but Leiberthal is on the Phillies, a National League team.