Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What kind of Camera do you use ?

I use a regular, automatic camera....and although digital cameras have some great advantages, I don't like the way the print out on my printer....They're good for emailing or saving on your computer, but I'm a big frame/picture person...my room is covered, so I prefer to use my regular camera...and if one or two come out good, I can always scan them to send or save on my computer :aright:

Originally posted by atomicapples

nikon f4 - 35mm...

how old is the f4? i'm not familiar with it. is it all-manual? details, please :D .

i have a canon eos elan (35mm). i got it the day my half-sister was born: july 9, 1993. our love's still going strong.

i also have a twin lens rolleiflex that was my grandfather's (2 & 1/4 inch format). we get together from time to time for some romance ;) .

i don't have a digital camera; i'm waiting for the digital slrs to go down in price. they're falling rapidly, so i'm hoping it won't be long before they're affordable :D .

Originally posted by rdancer

how many of u still use 35mm cameras....?

I use both Digital and 35mm...

Nothing beats actual film. I love photography and nothing will ever replace it. The digi is very convienient. And does take great shots. But I still love my 35mm...

I use the Cannon EOS Rebel 2000 with a bunch of Extras...

Also have the 85 - 300mm Lens

Had the 800 - 1200mm Lens... Broke the damn thing

I am currently looking for that Fish Eye Lens...

As far as the digital I have the Fuji Fine Pix A303... It is ok. But I should have gone with the Sony. I failed to look at the ISO speed. The Sony goes up to 400. The fuji only 100. So club shots and atmospheres that are dark. My camera does not take that great of shots. Every where else it is fine... :mad:

I still use my regular old film camera. I love the pictures it takes though. I find some digital cameras very disappointing. My sister-in-law's digital camera was $400, and I hate it. The pictures are so delayed. And my ex-boyfriend had a digital camera when we went to Vegas, and the pictures came out crappy.

i have a 35mm canon, but i'm looking for a good digital cam... tech geeks, help me out please :D

nothing too fancy or expensive, i just want something to bring with me everywhere so i can snap good moments with friends and such... also, how do you guys develop your pics? i have photo printer paper that i print out pics on using corel photo-paint, i guess that would suffice? or is there a better way?

Originally posted by mssabina

i have a 35mm canon, but i'm looking for a good digital cam... tech geeks, help me out please :D

nothing too fancy or expensive, i just want something to bring with me everywhere so i can snap good moments with friends and such... also, how do you guys develop your pics? i have photo printer paper that i print out pics on using corel photo-paint, i guess that would suffice? or is there a better way?

Get the Sony I forget the model # I think something like DCP-7 Or some shit like that. It goes for about $300 + It is a very nice camera for the price. And small.

nothing too fancy or expensive, i just want something to bring with me everywhere so i can snap good moments with friends and such...

i'm a canon person, all the way. they just put out the a70, a 3.2 megapixel camera that's an answer to all the problems of the digital elph (you know, the squarish camera that's really, really popular?). it's really user-friendly, as its modes are on a dial on top of the camera, as opposed to being hidden within menus that require multiple button pushing. this system is based on their 35mm slrs, so, if you have a canon slr, you'll already know how to use this.

having the dial on top also gives you a better chance of taking the best picture for whatever situation you're in, as you can change modes quicker than with other cameras (no flipping through menus has multiple benefits :D ).

it also has video AND audio; many don't have audio.

canons use compact flash cards (that's the memory card on which pics are stored), and that's a format that many other brands use. there are some printers into which you can insert the card to print your pics directly, and you can also have your pics printed at a lab. sonys use memory sticks, and a lot of printers (albeit cheaper/older ones) don't have slots for those. many labs only print from compact flash and smart media. it's good to pick a camera that uses a widely-used format, as it's also likelier to stay on the market (and not become invalid, like 8-tracks). funny, though; smart media is being phased out. do not buy a camera that uses smart media (older fujis, olympus). smart media will very soon be a thing of the past.

takes great pictures, what else can i say?

here's a link:

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a70-60/index.html

the store at which i work has it for $399, i think - maybe $349.

Damn, im at a crossroads :confused:

My birthday is coming up, and i REALLY want a camera. But now after reading all this, im not sure if i should get a digital or 35mm

Im going to Montreal in June, and like to have a camera with me every now and then to snap pictures.

It would be nice to have it on the computer, but I also want to have the pictures developed.

Help :eek:

Originally posted by gmccookny

My birthday is coming up, and i REALLY want a camera. But now after reading all this, im not sure if i should get a digital or 35mm

Im going to Montreal in June, and like to have a camera with me every now and then to snap pictures.

It would be nice to have it on the computer, but I also want to have the pictures developed.

You can get Digital developed... I have found that for me

www.Shutterfly.com is the best out there. You up load your pictures to there website and you choose which pictures you want printed and they mail them back to you. I believe the 1st 15 prints are free... As far as prints you can order anything from 3x5 up to 20 x 30 depending on your cameras Mega Pixels and what size the camera allows you to take up to. The pictures come out photo quality. As long as you have a nice digital and take nice shots... Any more questions just ask away. :D

wow, weyes, thanks for all that info! definitely gonna check that one out...

and scott, how much do prints from that site cost?

Depending on how you buy them...

If you buy in bulk it is alot cheaper...

4x6 $0.49 - $0.29

5x7 $0.99 - $0.79

Wallet (4) $1.79 - $1.49

8x10 $3.99 - $3.19

11x14 $7.99

16x20 $17.99

20x30 $22.99

On all of them... The first price is if buying single prints one at a time. The second price is if you buy in bulk. Like 100 Prints in advance.

I think 100 Prints at 4x6 is $29.00 Or something like that...

I just realized that they now go up to 20 x 30

it will also tell you what sizes are recommended at the resolution you shot with. Do not order prints that are not recommended becuase they will not come out good...

Any more questions?

Originally posted by weyes

i'm a canon person, all the way. they just put out the a70, a 3.2 megapixel camera that's an answer to all the problems of the digital elph (you know, the squarish camera that's really, really popular?). it's really user-friendly, as its modes are on a dial on top of the camera, as opposed to being hidden within menus that require multiple button pushing. this system is based on their 35mm slrs, so, if you have a canon slr, you'll already know how to use this.

having the dial on top also gives you a better chance of taking the best picture for whatever situation you're in, as you can change modes quicker than with other cameras (no flipping through menus has multiple benefits :D ).

it also has video AND audio; many don't have audio.

canons use compact flash cards (that's the memory card on which pics are stored), and that's a format that many other brands use. there are some printers into which you can insert the card to print your pics directly, and you can also have your pics printed at a lab. sonys use memory sticks, and a lot of printers (albeit cheaper/older ones) don't have slots for those. many labs only print from compact flash and smart media. it's good to pick a camera that uses a widely-used format, as it's also likelier to stay on the market (and not become invalid, like 8-tracks). funny, though; smart media is being phased out. do not buy a camera that uses smart media (older fujis, olympus). smart media will very soon be a thing of the past.

takes great pictures, what else can i say?

here's a link:

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a70-60/index.html

the store at which i work has it for $399, i think - maybe $349.

I had a Canon PowerShot A300 which was 199$ and is a 3.2 megapixel camera, but I dont like the quality of the photos, the pictures don't look nowhere near as good as with my Sony Cypershot 3.2... I would recommend any sony camera cause the quality is just increbile, even though they are a bit over priced and use their own form of memory ( mem sticks)

Originally posted by gmccookny

dont waste your time with a 35 MM camera, If you have one already great but dont spend the money on one now! you can get a digital camera for just a little bit more, but the quality is unparallel... Move FWD!

dont waste your time with a 35 MM camera, If you have one already great but dont spend the money on one now! you can get a digital camera for just a little bit more, but the quality is unparallel... Move FWD!

I have to agree with the comment about the Sony's. My sister has one and I love it. Like I said I have the fuji and it does not even compare to the Sony.

As far as your comment on the 35mm. It all depends on what you are looking to use the camera for... Digitals are not nearly as fast as a 35mm... I am not 100% sure but I think my SLR take about 4 shots per second. If not more. And I also have settings to take multiple exposures on one frame. I have the ability to leave the shutter open and take shots with streaking... Etc... Etc...

It all depends on what you are looking for... If you can afford both. Go for both. But if you are not into photography that much and just want a camera for occasions than go with the digital. You will be very happy.

I had a Canon PowerShot A300 which was 199$ and is a 3.2 megapixel camera, but I dont like the quality of the photos, the pictures don't look nowhere near as good as with my Sony Cypershot 3.2... I would recommend any sony camera cause the quality is just increbile, even though they are a bit over priced and use their own form of memory ( mem sticks)

the a300 is a low-end camera; that's why the pics are crappy. 3.2 megapixels, yes, but the zoom is all digital, which only makes for bad resolution (blurry pictures). these two are not comparable cameras - not even close. i place the other 3.2 megapixel canons, all of them, above the sonys.

as far as digital v. 35mm, it's not that one is necessarily better than the other; they're different. film has a 3-dimensionality that digital doesn't capture. and digital can't record the infinite number of colors that film can. some like that tweaked look though - the bright, electric feel it has. think of the differences between the two like the different looks between film and video; they're just different, what's "better" is entirely subjective. i, personally, prefer real film; i think it reproduces reality more accurately.

and elementx brings up a good point: you can do a lot more with a 35mm camera. interchangable lenses offer you many possibilities (you can get all kinds: wide-angle, telephoto, macro, fisheye, zooms or fixed). there are 35mm cameras that shoot up to 8 frames a second (at least), you can do all sorts of long-exposure shots, and play around with filters and different kinds of film.

digital is easy for sending over the 'net and storing on your computer. it's convenient for that. but keep in mind as well that most photo labs can now scan your negatives onto a cd for $6 a roll or so.

so there's a lot to think about. happy decision-making :D !

the a300 is a low-end camera; that's why the pics are crappy. 3.2 megapixels, yes, but the zoom is all digital, which only makes for bad resolution (blurry pictures). these two are not comparable cameras - not even close. i place the other 3.2 megapixel canons, all of them, above the sonys.

as far as digital v. 35mm, it's not that one is necessarily better than the other; they're different. film has a 3-dimensionality that digital doesn't capture. and digital can't record the infinite number of colors that film can. some like that tweaked look though - the bright, electric feel it has. think of the differences between the two like the different looks between film and video; they're just different, what's "better" is entirely subjective. i, personally, prefer real film; i think it reproduces reality more accurately.

and elementx brings up a good point: you can do a lot more with a 35mm camera. interchangable lenses offer you many possibilities (you can get all kinds: wide-angle, telephoto, macro, fisheye, zooms or fixed). there are 35mm cameras that shoot up to 8 frames a second (at least), you can do all sorts of long-exposure shots, and play around with filters and different kinds of film.

digital is easy for sending over the 'net and storing on your computer. it's convenient for that. but keep in mind as well that most photo labs can now scan your negatives onto a cd for $6 a roll or so.

Ur probably one of the very few girls on this board that actually know what your talking about when it comes to cameras. Im mucho impressed! :aright:

I never tried the "more expensive canons"so I dont know if the quality is better, But I will stick with my sony I like the quality of the pics... to bad my printer sucks!

And hands down 35 mm cameras are still the best to have, but developing the film can be quite expensive :D

I'm in love... ;) Now if I can find someone out here in NY who seems to be as into it as you. I would be set. But for now. My photo escapades are done alllll alone... :(

attn: mssabina!!!!!!!!!!!

the a70, which i recommended on the first page of this thread, is now $299 at ritz camera, and if you shop around you may be able to find it for less. i just wanted to let you know :) .

and thanks for the kind words, rdancer :) .

attn: mssabina!!!!!!!!!!!

the a70, which i recommended on the first page of this thread, is now $299 at ritz camera, and if you shop around you may be able to find it for less. i just wanted to let you know :) .

and thanks for the kind words, rdancer :) .

ah, thank you... i looked up this camera a bit more after your suggestion and i really like it.... $299 is jusssst in my price range so i'll have to go try it out and see it first hand... thank you again :)