Clubplanet Nightlife Community

RIP: Acura CL

Acura Halts CL Sports Coupe

Associated Press - May 6, 2003

Motor Trend

Honda will stop making the Acura CL sports coupe, its first car fully designed and produced in the United States, because of slumping sales.

The Acura CL, introduced in 1996, is made only in this central Ohio city. Production will end this summer.

Overall production levels and employment, which is now at 5,800 workers, won't be affected, the Japanese automaker said on Monday.

Honda spokesman Ron Lietzke said production of Accord sedans, Accord coupes or Acura TL sedans will be increased. Honda has been making about 1,000 Acura CLs a month at the plant, which represents 2 percent of total production.

The Acura CL, redesigned for the 2001 model year, started strong, but sales dropped in recent years, Acura spokesman Mike Spencer said. Sales fell 36 percent to 12,072 last year.

Sales this year were off 36 percent through the end of April, despite the fact that Honda offered a new Type-S CL for 2003 with a six-speed manual transmission that enthusiasts requested.

Honda didn't believe it was worth the cost to redevelop the CL to make it more popular, Spencer said.

"It's a very fickle market, and it's too high a penalty to pay in development costs for the sales volume," he said.

Acura has no plans to make another sports coupe, Spencer said.

Acura, Honda's upscale division, also produces the MDX sport-utility vehicle, RSX sports coupe and RL luxury sedan.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by manji318

Could probably purchase 03' Type-S for decent price.

but when the accord is so close in terms of power and options....why bother?

that was Acura's problem in the first place. Honda needs to develop seperate platforms for the Acura brand. Its getting to the point that Honda is equal to Acura in terms of drivetrains and equipment. That is BAD when youre trying to push Acura as a premium brand.

for example....the TSX. Am I the only one who sees that the TSX serves no purpose? Sure, it has 17 inch wheels and a 6 speed manual transmission....but is completely overwhelmed by the Accord Sedan when it comes to engines.

the TSX: 200hp, 166 lb-ft of torque

the Accord: 240hp, 212 lb-ft of torque

now: which one would you rather spend $26k on?

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

but when the accord is so close in terms of power and options....why bother?

that was Acura's problem in the first place. Honda needs to develop seperate platforms for the Acura brand. Its getting to the point that Honda is equal to Acura in terms of drivetrains and equipment. That is BAD when youre trying to push Acura as a premium brand.

for example....the TSX. Am I the only one who sees that the TSX serves no purpose? Sure, it has 17 inch wheels and a 6 speed manual transmission....but is completely overwhelmed by the Accord Sedan when it comes to engines.

the TSX: 200hp, 166 lb-ft of torque

the Accord: 240hp, 212 lb-ft of torque

now: which one would you rather spend $26k on?

The TSX is the accord in the UK.

http://www.honda.co.uk/front.html

I agree totally with what you are saying why spend 27k for a 4 banger when you can get a loaded v6 accord. I leased the accord ex 4cyl and absolutly love it (quick for what it is) and def worth the money 23k<. I would like to see a mini suv from Acura.

I like the HRV from honda..

Originally posted by mr mahs

I would like to see a mini suv from Acura.

I like the HRV from honda..

an economical SUV....seems highly unlikely that we will get that here either

and while we are on the subject of Honda and Acuras....who else thinks the NSX needs a redesign? the drivetrain and interior havent been changed since the car came out 12 years ago. And Honda wonders why it sells poorly.

and while we are on the subject of Honda and Acuras....who else thinks the NSX needs a redesign? the drivetrain and interior havent been changed since the car came out 12 years ago. And Honda wonders why it sells poorly.

Maybe the 80k + price tag has something to do with it.

The Rav 4 or Outlander are economical SUV'S . The day of monster SUV with it's huge gas tanks and poor gas mileage are done. Sure you will have your select guidos with 50in rims but the soccer moms I bet are steering away but still want some kind of smaller SUV. Look at Range rover with their introduction into the small suv sector with it's Free Lander. I almost leased a fully loaded outlander for 250 a month no money down see what a pathfinder runs you, in the 4's..

Originally posted by mr mahs

The Rav 4 or Outlander are economical SUV'S . The day of monster SUV with it's huge gas tanks and poor gas mileage are done. Sure you will have your select guidos with 50in rims but the soccer moms I bet are steering away but still want some kind of smaller SUV. Look at Range rover with their introduction into the small suv sector with it's Free Lander. I almost leased a fully loaded outlander for 250 a month no money down see what a pathfinder runs you, in the 4's..

the RAV4 and Outlander are nowhere near the HR-V in terms of fuel efficiency. Name me an SUV that gets 28mpg/city and 37mpg/highway (like the HR-V does).

small SUV's are not necessarily good on gas either. for example, the Jeep Liberty averages 16 mpg in the city. My dad's Wrangler gets 12 mpg over a mix of city and highway driving. The Freelander isnt much more economical than the rest of the Land Rover lineup, and barely gets over 20mpg on the highway. The Suzuki X-90 was miserable too, also getting barely over 20mpg on the highway.

given the current sales of the large SUV's, combined with the new tax deduction for large SUVs for small business owners, its doubtful that the sales of large SUVs are going to slow.

PS: Ford is delaying the Escape Hybrid due to "lack of demand"