Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Need advise...

joeg

ok... so heres the deal...

its gonna take 10g to fix my dsm.... insurance is only giving me 6... so that leaves a big gap...

i now have 2 options...

1) suck it up (AGAIN) and fix it...

2) scrap it and buy a new car

heres the question... if i buy a new car, heres my requirements:

1) 2.0L or bigger and a turbo

2) All Wheel Drive

3) weighs ~3k lbs or less

4) costs AT THE VERY MOST 30g... (and even thats going to put up a pretty big monthly payment and insurance problem... which may or may not be doable... i have to find out)

5) doesn't look like crap...

I was thinking pretty hard and i came up with 3 cars:

1) my current car

2) WRX STi

3) R32 Skyline GTR

anyone know of any others???

i'm actually leaning towards the STi, but buying a new car is such a bad idea... i wish i could get one used... but that won't be an option for a while....

the R32 is cool, but it'll have a lot of miles on it, and its going to be a bitch and a half to find...

am i missing anything? anyone have any good ideas, or rare cars i forgot about??

(oh, and i spelt advice wrong... i'm a tool)

nissan use your lug pattern,

subaru are 5x100

but it going to be wierd...

make sure your offset is good for your next car, if not, rubbing on shocks, fenders, etc is not good.

if i was you. i would deside on what i want to do with it first...

cheap modding??? - honduh or VW

something different??? - wrx or evo

drifting??? - 240sx - cheappy as possible.

but if i was going to get rid of my car, i would get a m3, and leave it stock.... no more coilovers for me.

i'm actually leaning in on the audi TT idea now...

a used 2000 or 2001 isn't that expensive... and after bpu, safc2, some new injectors and a big turbo... i'd have a big smile on my face...

i'm not sure how, but it only weigh 3200 even with the AWD... which is the same as my dsm.... i'll still try and drop some weight, but i guess i'll enjoy going fast on some heated leather seats for a change.... :tongue:

TT's use the Haldex AWD system, which is basically a FWD system with the rears used "just in case."

Get a car with the quattro system if youre looking for decent AWD.

For cheap, moddable and fast get a 1G DSM. You can swap parts.

What happened to the talon?

knowing where you are coming from, you will not like the TT

and you might want to hold off on the Sti....insurance for a youngin in jersey for a brand new, $30k car with 300hp turbo?

uhh...yeah

stick with a wrx and save yourself some cash (on both price and insurance), or an older Skyline

you can also get yourself into a used S4 or 2.7T A6 for under $30k

or, if youre willing to forgo a turbo, you can get the golf R32

dont buy an MR2. If you wrap that around a tree or put it into a guardrail, I WILL murder you.

how about a 240sx? I know its not AWD, but AWD is rather limiting, don't you think?

if youre really concerned about getting around in the winter, then get a cheap $500 shit beater like a vw rabbit, with a pair of blizzak tires for the drive wheels, and spend the rest of your money on your performance bitch.

It'd sure help if u can sell that Vette ;)

i'm pretty sure its a good idea to stick with AWD for my personal safety.... aswell as track #'s...

hmm i thought the TT had quattro... it says it does...

grr... i just want a reasonably priced, nice looking AWD turbo car i can mod the fuck out of....

Originally posted by joeg

i'm pretty sure its a good idea to stick with AWD for my personal safety.... aswell as track #'s...

hmm i thought the TT had quattro... it says it does...

grr... i just want a reasonably priced, nice looking AWD turbo car i can mod the fuck out of....

the TT is nice, but nowhere near the capabilities of the WRX/Skyline/whatever

its more for cruising, posing (esp the convertible), and the occasional back road.

and seeing how you can get a wrx for the same money...given your goals i would say the TT shouldnt be high on your list.

i like the TT a lot, but not as a high performance automobile

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

the TT is nice, but nowhere near the capabilities of the WRX/Skyline/whatever

its more for cruising, posing (esp the convertible), and the occasional back road.

and seeing how you can get a wrx for the same money...given your goals i would say the TT shouldnt be high on your list.

i like the TT a lot, but not as a high performance automobile

hmmmmmmmm.....

cheap and plentiful mods? 1st gen DSM or stay with your current gen. Just get a stick this time around!

I'm at the autoshop right now working on my buddy's wrx and let me tell you - nothing is fun.

Somewhere under that tangled mess of vacuum hoses, wires, A/C lines, PCV piping, the intercooler and 1001 coolant lines, there's an engine.

It's 5am. we've been here since 9:30.

I'll just go ahead and say it:

"the WRX is far more difficult to work on than an MR2."

there. ;) if that doesn't make you reconsider, I dont know what will.

Working on apples car in my driveway till 1 am till my hands bled was never fun. But spanking hondas on the highway with it was well worth it. If i were in your shoes i would pick up a wrx wagon i've seen a bunch for as low as 15k , And coilovers for the wagon are less then the sedan.

if i get a wrx it'll be the sedan....

but i really feel like i'm getting the same thing i already had with a wrx (2.0 turbo).... the sti intrigued me because it was 2.5 turbo... but its impossible to get, and pretty expensive...

maybe i should try and find a 2g eclipse with a blown engine for cheap... and then build that 2.5 4g63/4 hybrid motor i've been wanting...

Originally posted by barslut

You know you really want another dsm

i really do...

its just a matter of how much i'm willing to spend...

if i could find one with a builtup 2.4L engine, i'd jump on it in a heartbeat.... i could use all my existing parts/boost controller/gauges/etc....

SR20DET's are motors that require extensive tuning. They're stout and fun, but being aluminum blocks, running more than 1 bar of boost can cause flex in the cylinder walls... which is a good way to blow shit.

I've seen properly set up SR20's make over 400rwhp with T67-sized turbos @ 1.2 bar, but most SR20s without cylinder sleeves usually dont go above that boost level... which is rather lame considering that's a lot of lag for only a measly 15-17psi.

Stick with the 4g63. A 2.4L setup is pointless unless you're going to run a massive turbo and you absolutely need the low end.

A 20g setup with proper tuning will give you plenty of power and a good low-end, and cost a fraction of building a 2.4. The 4g63 has already shown a very high responsivenes to modifications.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0206tur_galant/

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0209tur_dynocell/index.html

Originally posted by cintron

The GALANT VR4, not the 3kgt.

Those galants are insanely capable. I wish i'd gotten one.

its considered a DSM... thats why i assumed 3kgt...

uhh yeah, its a 1g dsm with 4 doors... they only made like 3000 of them over here or something...they're all numbered... definately a nice car...