Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sosa blows his cork

nyis4meatheads

Did you guys catch this last night? Sammy Sosa broke his bat last night, only to reveal that it was corked. I caught an interview with him on Sports Center this morning and he claimed that he uses corked bats in batting practice to hit more home runs for the fans. He said that he accidently picked up the corked bat in the game and that it was just a mistake.

This leads me to two conclusions:

1.) Sammy Sosa is a liar.

2.) Germans love David Hasselhoff.

espn article

sammy_sosa.jpg1162826_8682.jpg

Originally posted by kaydup

I don't think Hasselhoff can hit many homeruns.

And corking a bat doesnt give you that much distance I was always told

Apparently you've never seen Hasselhoff's power. The guy's got a sweet stroke.

This morning they said that corking a bat only speeds it up by one mile an hour. According to ESPN math (I never trust jocks with math) this means that a ball hit 400 feet would only go 404 feet with a corked bat. But, if you think about it, a LOT of balls are hit to the warning track (especially by a guy like Sosa), and a lot of those would become home runs.

Plus, if it doesn't make that much of a difference, why the hell would he take the trouble of corking a bat for BP? If it doesn't make a difference, then who cares (especially for BP, it means nothing).

I don't know, I had a few roommates in college that played and now a couple are in minors and one at Seattle. They hated it and said it hurt their batting. But it must do something if he did it.

Yeah he sauced definatly.

And Maguire only used Andro,:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, steroids have made baseball a complete farce. Records that stood for 40 years were crushed, then crushed again within the span of 3 years.

McGuire, Sosa and Bonds all jacked their numbers from 30-40 home runs a year to 50, 60, 70 while in their 30's.... that makes a ton of sense :rolleyes:

I have to admit though, if I were a baseball player I'd probably juice. McGuire is now a national hero, all because he took steroids. Think of how much money he made because of it. Why they don't just test people is beyond me... it's pathetic, get some credibilty back in professional sports.

The people that run MLB let all this go on, steroids, corked bats, drug and domestic abuse, and pratically let the players get away w/ it.. And they ban Pete Rose for life for Gambling, and give him no shot at the Hall Of Fame?? This is an issue we could talk about all day, whether he bet on his own team or whatnot, but as a player, he was arguabley(sp) one of the best ever.....

You look at Maguire w/ all his fame and money b/c he juiced, but where will he be when all the money and fame can't help his health issues.... Steriods intesify the possibilty by 100s of getting an illness or disease that may run in your families genes... Also unless your supervised by someone who has vast knowledge of proper use, (which I doubt young players have when they first start) then you can really hurt your intestines, bladder and any part of your digestion track.. Its not worth it IMO...

Originally posted by nyis4meatheads

Apparently you've never seen Hasselhoff's power. The guy's got a sweet stroke.

This morning they said that corking a bat only speeds it up by one mile an hour. According to ESPN math (I never trust jocks with math) this means that a ball hit 400 feet would only go 404 feet with a corked bat. But, if you think about it, a LOT of balls are hit to the warning track (especially by a guy like Sosa), and a lot of those would become home runs.

Plus, if it doesn't make that much of a difference, why the hell would he take the trouble of corking a bat for BP? If it doesn't make a difference, then who cares (especially for BP, it means nothing).

yeah i asked someone last night the physics behind corking a bat and what gives it that extra advantage. ... hmm interesting.

but as fra as the lack of credibility in pro sports bc of lack of testing.. look at this way.. even if MLB did test, they are ways around it. ie look at the olympics and NFL both test and ppl FIND A WAY to beat the system. they jsut wouldnt be able to shoot up in the locker rooms now :tongue:

i believe the "test or not to test" is part of the current negotations right now for the new baseball agreement (that they are still trying to work out since last year!) they issue that was raised though was -- fans say they dont want to see the games juiced, but they want to see lots of HR and high scores. if the league starts testing than most likely those stats will fall. so its a a double edged sword so to speak

Originally posted by xlr8ted

The people that run MLB let all this go on, steroids, corked bats, drug and domestic abuse, and pratically let the players get away w/ it.. And they ban Pete Rose for life for Gambling, and give him no shot at the Hall Of Fame?? This is an issue we could talk about all day, whether he bet on his own team or whatnot, but as a player, he was arguabley(sp) one of the best ever.....

i think this that this will def hurt sosa's chances of getting into the Hallof Fame. he is going to have live with this stigma (mistake or no mistake ) for the rest of his life

Originally posted by nycchic24

i think this that this will def hurt sosa's chances of getting into the Hallof Fame. he is going to have live with this stigma (mistake or no mistake ) for the rest of his life

I really hope he doesn't get in.. Also I hope he dies in a firey car wreck..

Hows everyone else today?:laugh:

this will definately not tarnish sammy sosas rep... at all. in a year or so nobody will remeber or give a shit. people will overlook this and forget about it because of the excitement sosa brings to the game. how many times did whitey ford get caught using his wedding ring to cut the ball??? how many times did george brett get caught corking and tarring his bats (in playoffs too)???

Originally posted by stymie

this will definately not tarnish sammy sosas rep... at all. in a year or so nobody will remeber or give a shit. people will overlook this and forget about it because of the excitement sosa brings to the game. how many times did whitey ford get caught using his wedding ring to cut the ball??? how many times did george brett get caught corking and tarring his bats (in playoffs too)???

I hate people who cut "balls". too!

they are talking about putting an asterisk next to his name or take away 20-30 homers cause they arent to sure how many times hes used that bat..someone as big as he is i dont see why he would use a corked bat in a game or during bp..they say it gives the ball 1.1 mph faster.he says he does it in bp to show fans he can hit homers..if he's that concered about hitting homers set up the t-ball stand and start swinging for the fences.

he is definatly going into the hall of fame, it doesn't matter if they find him sucking off people for roids. he will have over 700 homeruns before he is done. A quarter of the people in the hall either cheated. I still hope that one of his biceps explode when he is up to bat, but people really don't care anymore. Its not like he was betting on his team or anything. You got to wonder who isn't using a corked bat nowadays.