Clubplanet Nightlife Community

when will the assault on civil liberties end?

Originally posted by mr mahs

:laugh: :laugh: Greatest at what? Ignoring terrorism and turning down BinLaden on a silver plate :rolleyes: Bush is destroying or democracy? oh and you probabbly beleive that he is responsible for the recession..

Boy I guess someone forgot to check the recent Bill's that got passed by Congress in 2002. I guess because those Terrorists and "Al Queda" are coming at every turn we should militarize our society and force ppl. to conform. The price for Democracy is high and its obvious to me some ppl. aren't willing to pay for it.

Reddog, most ppl. are idiots in this country, so I really don't care who they voted for. I don't say this lightheartedly either, case and point... "Freedom Fries" and dumping French wine into the streets as an example.

I may be a Democrat but I am not as partisan as you may think. Quite frankly I am tired of both parties. They are similar in thought and pull the same bullshit, but under different guises. I am far more worried about the future of this country and the path we are headed. It worries the heck out of me, and it really doesn't matter whether its Bush or someone else.

I am done with this topic, I will not respond to any counter-argument, you wanna take it up with me personally you can IM me or PM me.

Originally posted by arcloverdc

Boy I guess someone forgot to check the recent Bill's that got passed by Congress in 2002. I guess because those Terrorists and "Al Queda" are coming at every turn we should militarize our society and force ppl. to conform. The price for Democracy is high and its obvious to me some ppl. aren't willing to pay for it.

Reddog, most ppl. are idiots in this country, so I really don't care who they voted for. I don't say this lightheartedly either, case and point... "Freedom Fries" and dumping French wine into the streets as an example.

I may be a Democrat but I am not as partisan as you may think. Quite frankly I am tired of both parties. They are similar in thought and pull the same bullshit, but under different guises. I am far more worried about the future of this country and the path we are headed. It worries the heck out of me, and it really doesn't matter whether its Bush or someone else.

I am done with this topic, I will not respond to any counter-argument, you wanna take it up with me personally you can IM me or PM me.

If you disagree with how this country is dealing with terrroism I would like to ask 1 question...

How would you deal with the terrorist extremists that are comingled with us, in our society????

I ask this question to every one who thinks our civil liberties are being violated but no one can answer are you any diffrent???

Originally posted by Drunk

Because he happened to be in office during a tech bubble? Let's be real, all those jobs he boasts about creating were created in the last few years of his presidency, when everyone and their mother was pouring their money into technology. Most of those were technology jobs, which when the bubble burst, logically, those jobs went down the drain as well.

Oh, and let's not forget how, by relaxing weapons export controls, he enabled the Chinese to develop antisatellite technology, and more powerful and more accurate nuclear missles that can strike any city in the country based on our current intelligence. Yeah, that's a great president, one who sold his country up the river.

How about cutting military spendding and restricted the suvaillance capabilities of the CIA & FBI

I read in Hannity's book that it took Bubba 3 weeks to meet with Woosley after the Cole bombings, 3 weeks!!

Poppa the only insider selling I heard about was Ballmer from Microsoft because he feels LINUX is gaining market share who else did you hear about??

FROM THE ARCHIVES: June 4, 2003

Is the Surge in Insider Sales

A Black Portent for Market?

By GREGORY ZUCKERMAN

Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Here's some cold water for a red-hot stock market: Executives are rushing to sell their companies' shares at a pace not seen since 2001.

More than $3.1 billion in shares was sold in May by corporate insiders, the most such selling in 24 months. By comparison, monthly stock sales failed to exceed $1.4 billion during each of the previous five months, and just $630 million of sales took place in January, according to Thomson Financial.

The moves are a concern because "insider" buying and selling -- by people who presumably are the most knowledgeable about their companies' prospects -- have been good predictors of the market's direction. For example, many executives sold their holdings in early 2000, just before a bear market in stocks began. Now, many again are locking in profits -- especially in health care, technology and finance stocks -- on the heels of the market's recent gains.

Some argue that investors shouldn't worry about the rash of selling. After all, executives were scarred by the bear market like everyone else, and may be selling because they don't trust that the market's rally will last rather than because bad earnings news is around the bend.

Still, the selling -- from such savvy executives as Microsoft Corp.'s chief executive, Steven Ballmer, and Dell Computer Corp.'s Michael Dell, among others -- could portend trouble for earnings.

Because of changes in corporate-disclosure rules, insider selling may be more important an indicator than ever. Due to new regulations imposed in the past year or so, executives are much less able to share information with analysts about early signs of how a quarter or year is shaping up. As such, trading by executives is one of the few ways left for investors to get an inside look at how companies feel about their prospects, some argue. How they vote with their feet is what is key, these people say.

Mr. Dell sold almost $300 million in shares in late May, compared with more than $120 million of shares sold during all of last year. Mike Maher, a Dell spokesman, said he couldn't comment on the sales and pointed out that Mr. Dell remains the largest holder of the company's stock, with almost $9 billion in shares and options. His family owns an additional $1.2 billion of the stock. But Mr. Dell in the past has bought shares when he thought they were cheap, according to an executive close to him, and sold them when he viewed the shares as expensive. This could suggest that his recent move stems from a belief the company's recent runup may not be warranted.

Mr. Dell sold his shares at prices of $29.56 to $30.01; Tuesday the shares rose 17 cents to $31 in 4 p.m. Nasdaq Stock Market trading. Other Dell officials, including Chief Operating Officer Kevin Rollins and Chief Financial Officer James Schneider, also sold shares recently.

As for Mr. Ballmer, who has sold almost $1 billion in shares recently, he issued a press release last month saying, "I remain excited about the potential for our technology to change people's lives, and I remain as committed to Microsoft as ever." A Microsoft spokeswoman added that Mr. Ballmer continues to hold significant holdings of the company's shares. He currently holds about $10 billion of Microsoft shares.

Mr. Ballmer sold his shares at $23.89 to $24.90; Microsoft stock rose 24 cents to $24.88 in 4 p.m. Nasdaq trading Tuesday.

Some analysts say insider moves are an increasingly important indicator. "Who better than directors to know what their companies' near-term profits outlook is like?" says Bijal Shah, senior equity strategist for Société Générale, the big French bank. "Directors tend to sell stock in their own companies if they believe their company will miss analysts' forecasts and buy if they believe it will beat forecasts. ... The ratio of directors selling relative to directors buying is an excellent indicator of the outlook for company profits."

By that measure, the current selloff is indeed worrisome. On the 14 occasions when there has been as much selling relative to buying as in the past month, the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index has on average fallen 6% in the subsequent six months and 9% in the following year, says Lon Gerber, director of insider research at Thomson Financial. (So far this year, the S&P 500 is up about 10%.)

Other experts are less concerned about the insider selling . Executives sell stock for all kinds of reasons. Some need to raise money for various expenses, while others simply try to diversify their holdings. Indeed, many academics say stock purchases by executives, rather than their selling, are much better indicators of where earnings and the market are going. That's because the only reason an executive will buy shares is because the executive thinks they are likely to go up.

In addition, stock sales always pick up in May, as companies come out of first-quarter lockup periods in April, when executives are restricted from making moves. And with stocks coming out of a three-year bear market, executives have even more reason to sell. Many missed out on cashing in options before and during the downturn, or are just nervous about the market's outlook.

"Executives have just experienced the same bear market we have" and aren't above getting nervous about the stock market like other investors, says Chuck Zender, managing director of Leuthold Group in Minneapolis, a research firm. "You have to put more emphasis on their buying" rather than their selling.

The overall figures on executive stock sales actually are higher than they appear because Thomson Financial excludes any sales valued at more than $50 million -- such as those of Mr. Ballmer and Mr. Dell -- to prevent big stock sales from skewing overall market figures.

Tech executives have long been among the biggest sellers of shares, in large part because they get so much of their pay in stock options compared with other industries.

Health-care companies stand out because of a surge in recent insider selling . For example, six executives at Genentech, a stock that has almost doubled this year, have combined to sell 742,500 shares valued at $36 million in the past month, according to Thomson. Among them, Chief Financial Officer Louis Lavigne Jr. sold almost 210,000 shares, and Chief Executive Officer Arthur Levinson and General Counsel Stephen Juelsgaard each sold 150,000 shares. A company spokeswoman wouldn't comment on the sales, saying they were personal decisions of the executives.

Coventry Health Care Inc., whose stock is up almost 50% this year, has also seen selling. Eight Coventry executives sold 454,000 shares in May. A Coventry representative couldn't be reached.

Poppa,

Check the chart on Dell it's resistance level is 30-31 dollars a share I think Micheal Dell's selling is nothing more then cashing out at a premium price. The Steve Ballmer selling (first time in 12 years) was to diversify his financial assets. To think he sold because of the future economic outlook doesn't make sense why sell now? why not sell when buisness 1st started to slow down the price of MSFT was higher then..

Originally posted by sassa

are you denying that they did not have links to the iraqi government, and that it is not possible they still don't?

Easy don't get ahead of yourself. In the 70's we backed Sadam against the Iranians, a mistake but hey it served the purpose at the time. What's your point???

Easy don't get ahead of yourself. In the 70's we backed Sadam against the Iranians, a mistake but hey it served the purpose at the time. What's your point???

don't talk to me like that. just answer my question. are you denying that they did not have links to the iraqi government, and that it is not possible they still don't?

Originally posted by sassa

don't talk to me like that. just answer my question. are you denying that they did not have links to the iraqi government, and that it is not possible they still don't?

In the 70's we backed Sadam against the Iranians, a mistake but hey it served the purpose at the time. What's your point???

:rolleyes: quit your crying and be a man for once in your life.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

Bush had 48% of the popular vote when he was elected...meaning 52% of the voters wanted someone else

and as for your second comment....wow. you are clearly one of the most ingorant assholes on this board. thanks for showing a great display of your stupidity. do us all a favor and jump in front of a bus.

take a LOOK at the original post that started this thread:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when will the assault on civil liberties end?

http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2003...namo/index.html

i thought this was america, the land of the free. guess i was wrong. you might say that because these people are suspected terrorists they should be locked away and the key thrown out... but democracy only works if it works for everyone - even the people we "don't like" or "are afraid of." hell, what happens if rummy decides you are a threat? your citizenship can be revoked (that's right - check out the USA patriot act) and then you'll be just as good as the tali-fuckers... locked away in cuba, denied access to counsel, humiliated, and never given a proper trial. and the biggest slap in the face is that as the gas chamber will be built, the appointed defense council is military. who knows how these prisoners are being treated? are they being tortured? why is it that people are shocked when this is done in china, but say its acceptable when its done here?

this is not a fact finding mission for intelligence purposes, this is not a war crimes tribunal bringing justice to those who were victims of the brutality of the taliban - this is an outright human rights abomination. and not only that the grossest violation of everything america stands for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you obviously support the freeing of these 'combatants' back into the general population of Iraq, where they will no doubtedly regroup and plan another attack on American citizens. But this is somehow acceptable to you, because you are defending their "rights", so when they do go free because of people like you, I hope that their next attack harms you directly. If it were up to me, they would never be free again, and both you and I could live without fear. I read in a Times magazine article a month or two ago where they were interviewing one of the detainees, and he told the general, and I quote "you are probably a decent man....but if I ever get out of here, I will kill you", and you are willing to let this man go? NICE.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

so the only way i can be a man is by wishing for another terrorist attack on the united states?