Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Autoweek tests Bugatti Veyron

21:29:50 June 30, 2003)

2004 Bugatti 16.4 Veyron

The Car with the most: Blistering performance and a price tag to match

By GREG KABLE

THE 987-HP, 8.0-LITER W16-powered Bugatti EB 16.4 Veyron, a car dismissed as little more than fantasy when it debuted at the 1999 Tokyo motor show, has the production green light. Its eye-watering price: an easy to remember €1 million, plus tax. That’s nearly $1.2 million to you and me.

The French-built coupe aims to dislodge the decade-old McLaren F1 as the world’s fastest road car with a 252-mph top speed. If independently verified—which Bugatti says will occur by the end of 2003—this will put the two-seat Veyron a good 12-mph clear of the F1’s unofficial 240.1-mph one-way run at Volkswagen’s proving grounds.

BUGATTI EB 16.4 VEYRON PHOTO GALLERY

It would also pulverize the claims for the Ferrari Enzo at 217 mph, and the Porsche Carrera GT and Lamborghini Murciélago, both at 205 mph.

This top-speed declaration is one of several extraordinary performance claims that Bugatti, under Volkswagen control since 1998, has begun heaping on its new car. Bugatti president Karl-Heinz Neumann hints the Veyron will blow away every other car—and even a few superbikes—with a 0-to-100-km/h (62-mph) time of 2.9 seconds. This is three-tenths of a second quicker than Britain’s Autocar magazine achieved during an independent test of the McLaren F1.

It also bests the 3.2-second 0-to-100-km/h run by Ferrari test driver Dario Benuzzi at the wheel of the Enzo. All this atop an earlier claim that the aluminum-bodied Veyron will do 186 mph (300 km/h) in less than 14 seconds—six seconds faster than the McLaren reaches 180 mph.

Power comes from a unique quad-turbocharged and intercooled W16 engine in a classic midship layout. Essentially it is two narrow-angle V8s mounted side by side at a 90-degree angle and driving a shared crankshaft.

Rated at 987 hp at 6000 rpm, the W16 also boasts 922 lb-ft of torque from 2200 to 5500 rpm. Bugatti admits it missed the initial target weight of 1550 kilograms (3417 pounds) to meet the latest crash legislation in Europe and the United States. Bugatti officials say cars will tip scales at about 1600 kilograms (3527 pounds). This should give the Bugatti a motorcycle-like 3.6 pounds per horsepower.

Power goes to all four wheels via a seven-speed gearbox featuring a double-clutch arrangement like that recently unveiled in the Audi TT. Engineered by the British firm Ricardo, it is operated either by shift paddles behind the steering wheel or a floor-mounted lever. Insiders say the new gearbox’s ability to pre-select gears and give rapid-fire changes is crucial to the Veyron’s performance.

The car is a lightweight carbon fiber monocoque plated with aluminum to provide stiffness. The engine and rear double-wishbone suspension mount to the tubular space frame. The body is a mixture of composite and aluminum panels.

The Veyron is not a big car. It is 4.4 inches shorter in length and 1.8 inches narrower than the Murciélago. Its wheelbase is 1.4 inches longer than the Lambo at 106.3 inches. The Bug’s 20-inch wheels are out at the corners, allowing for minimal overhang and giving it a tough, crouching stance.

Visually the production car differs little from the concept, though every exterior panel has been altered. For instance, problems with air pressure building up within the front wheel wells at high speed forced Bugatti to incorporate air outlets within the leading edge of the conventionally hinged doors. You can also see a more defined crease line along the sides, and mirror housings incorporate the turn signals.

A prominent spoiler automatically rises nearly eight inches from the rear bodywork to generate aerodynamic downforce to keep the Veyron earthbound at speed. Other advanced aerodynamics include a paneled undertray and a Le Mans-style diffuser at the rear.

Veyron’s interior is in no way austere, in keeping with this ultra-priced, limited-edition Bugatti. Its art deco-inspired cabin is all soft leather; its console is swathed in machine-turned aluminum. The driver sits behind a sculptured three-spoke steering wheel bearing the EB insig-nia of founder Ettore Bugatti. Set in a near vertical position, the wheel frames a compact instrument binnacle with a large 8000-rpm tachometer flanked by smaller dials that include, among others, a water temperature gauge and speedo-meter marked to 450 km/h—280 mph.

What luggage you wish to carry must fit in the Veyron’s short nose section or behind the seats—or in a Bentley chase vehicle, perhaps. Other cocktail chatter: The car is named after Pierre Veyron, who won Le Mans in a Bugatti Type 57SC in 1939. It will be assembled, largely by hand, at a new factory on the grounds of Chateau St. Jean outside of Molsheim, France. The location is of historical importance as Bugatti automobiles were originally built in Molsheim. No more than 50 cars are planned each year.

2004 Bugatti EB 16.4 Veyron

ON SALE: Early 2004

BASE PRICE: $1.2 million (est.)

POWERTRAIN: 8.0-liter, 987-hp, 922-lb-ft quad-turbo W16; awd, seven-speed manual

CURB WEIGHT: 3527 pounds (est.)

0-60 MPH: 2.9 seconds (mfr.)

attachment.php?s=&postid=1551927

Originally posted by joeg

i've wanted that car since it was a concept... i WILL own it some day.... (or die tryin') ;)

Let me know when u plan to stick up the bank... i will be your wheel man :D

But ...Damn !!!! that car will get me so much pussy that it will be dripping off my cheeks !!

I want it too...:)

Guest saleen351

lets quote motortrend shall we.......

"FASTEST CAR WE'VE EVER TESTED, 226 MPH"

NOT F1, BUT CORVETTE.........

GET A CLUE, VETTE IS THE FASTED STREET LEGAL CAR EVER TESTED BOTH WAYS IN THE US....

NOT F1...

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

2004 Bugatti EB 16.4 Veyron

ON SALE: Early 2004

BASE PRICE: $1.2 million (est.)

POWERTRAIN: 8.0-liter, 987-hp, 922-lb-ft quad-turbo W16; awd, seven-speed manual

CURB WEIGHT: 3527 pounds (est.)

0-60 MPH: 2.9 seconds (mfr.)

attachment.php?s=&postid=1551927

joeg and cintron...pay attention.

when you get this ride, under no circustance should we see you tow this baby behind a winnebago. Thanks :D

theres no way in hell you can argue that a vette is faster than that bugatti...

especially with a "normal" driver... the wheelspin on a RWD car with 1000hp is barely streetable...

and that vette is maxing its potential... the bugatti is stock...

Guest saleen351

theres no way in hell you can argue that a vette is faster than that bugatti...

especially with a "normal" driver... the wheelspin on a RWD car with 1000hp is barely streetable...

and that vette is maxing its potential... the bugatti is stock...

LOL, you just are clueless...

lets go over this...

Performance

0-60 4.5 seconds

0-100 7.9 seconds

Top Speed: 226 MPH

Engine

Twin Turbo V8

Horsepower: 650

hmmmmmmmmmm you are about 450 horses short of a 1000 hp

Now, since there is twin turbos, they don't even come into play until 3 grand on the tach, so under 3 grand the car is bone stock horsepower, and what motortrend said, with only making them in auto, you can drive this car around just like any vette, hell put a chip into the msd or flip a switch and max the tach out at 3 grand and you'll never dip into the power. means you wife or bitch can rock it, without killing anyone.. (i can't remember, but i'm sure they said, you can go pick up grocerys and not know of its power)

now go past 3 grand on the tach and being an auto any moron can handle that... if GM bought ligenfelter, it would be the same as AMG and your "its stock" argument flies out the window.. Bugatti is an exotic, which is not even worth mentioning, you won't see one ever! They are not driven.. Hell i saw an enzo on the road down here by the autotoy store, but you'll never see it again... Its sitting in someones garage forever... But the twin turbos monsters are out there without badges on the sides...

Thats IF gm brough lingenfelter , which they dident so who cares , there different animals , i used to have a c5 vette , loved the power and handeling but the rattles and cavalier interior suck dick , and as soon as i have money im going to get a z06 , there just 2 different animals.

Originally posted by saleen351

hmmmmmmmmmm you are about 450 horses short of a 1000 hp

if GM bought ligenfelter, it would be the same as AMG and your "its stock" argument flies out the window

for the first section of this quote....its 350hp

for the second: GM doesnt own Ligenfelter now does it? Plus, Mercedes/AMG dont have anything to do with this. Bugatti was created by Volkswagen.

as for volume.....these cars are not being sold to the public at large, unlike the corvette. part of the reason for the Bugatti's price is that only 50 will be produced each year. Would you pay $1.2 million for a car knowing everyone else on your block will have one?

Finally:

Does the Corvette have a multi-year waiting list?

Performance

0-60 4.5 seconds

0-100 7.9 seconds

Engine

Twin Turbo V8

you just proved yourself wrong with those stats...

its not anywhere near that bugatti...which is the topic of this thread....

Performance

0-60 4.5 seconds

0-100 7.9 seconds

Engine

Twin Turbo V8

you just proved yourself wrong with those stats...

its not anywhere near that bugatti...which is the topic of this thread....

i was about to say that...didnt the article say that VW claims a speed of 240mph?

:half: I'm trying to imagine putting all that horsepower into that vehicle, it must have a mean Limited Slip Differential.. And extra money for replacement tires

Damn

I see rich billionaires buying these cars, and not have the balls to go over the speed limit ...:biggun:

1.2 mill

WTF

A Saleen S7 is only 400K with no turbo. It's a fucking v8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I know for shure that you could give some one 100K for turbos and what not and you could get the same speed.

I mean the S7 has almost identical stats as the McLaren and is 600k less.

VW

:blown:

its actually a quad-turbo setup... i can only imagine all the piping and whatnot...

plus the s7 probably has a really high compression ratio... if you "slap" a turbo on there without propper tuning, you'll just blow your 400k engine...

plus it weighs 3500 with a W16 and 4 turbos, and all-wheel drive...

you get what you pay for...

its actually a quad-turbo setup... i can only imagine all the piping and whatnot...

plus the s7 probably has a really high compression ratio... if you "slap" a turbo on there without propper tuning, you'll just blow your 400k engine...

plus it weighs 3500 with a W16 and 4 turbos, and all-wheel drive...

you get what you pay for...

I see what your saying and yes the car is PHAR but it's 3 times the price of the S7....Just not worth it IMO.

Pluse I know about the compression ratio and the turbo. I said $100k. No turbo cost that much. Im shure you could get propper tuning with the extra say $90k left over from purchasing a massive $10k turbo.