Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
wideskies

starting over

my boyfriend and i were working out and running quite regularly last winter and early spring, but then we took about 3 months off... and i am disappointed (but not surprised) to find that i've lost much of the strength i had gained.

i think that i'll be able to progess more quickly this time.... faster neural gains and all that... but my ego is a bit tender at the moment! we're keeping our (new) workout basic-- alternating upper/lower body split, 3 days per week-- so that we don't get cranky and overwhelmed this time. i think part of the reason it was easy to stop working out last april is that we were really really tired after each workout and dreaded the next one! *laugh*

anyway, i think an important part of working out seriously and consistently is to leave your ego at the door, to do each rep with correct form even if it means dropping your weight 5 or 10 lbs, and to not worry about the fact that there are possibly many more people at the gym who are stronger than you. i see lots of people piling multiple 45s on to do squats, but they're not even going to parallel... they are overly focused on the appearance, rather than the reality, of strength.

Originally posted by wideskies

my boyfriend and i were working out and running quite regularly last winter and early spring, but then we took about 3 months off... and i am disappointed (but not surprised) to find that i've lost much of the strength i had gained.

i think that i'll be able to progess more quickly this time.... faster neural gains and all that... but my ego is a bit tender at the moment! we're keeping our (new) workout basic-- alternating upper/lower body split, 3 days per week-- so that we don't get cranky and overwhelmed this time. i think part of the reason it was easy to stop working out last april is that we were really really tired after each workout and dreaded the next one! *laugh*

anyway, i think an important part of working out seriously and consistently is to leave your ego at the door, to do each rep with correct form even if it means dropping your weight 5 or 10 lbs, and to not worry about the fact that there are possibly many more people at the gym who are stronger than you. i see lots of people piling multiple 45s on to do squats, but they're not even going to parallel... they are overly focused on the appearance, rather than the reality, of strength.

Your body will definately remember very fast what it used to do. I would not worry about that. You will be back to where you were in no time...

I hear you about the EGO thing. So many people are so worried about what they put on the bar instead of worrying about using proper form. I mean you dont want to feel like a "slinky". But I worry about form more than the weight. And the weight will come as you move on... And in the long run you will probably push more weight at higher reps than the person trying to push heavy weight for 2 reps... :rolleyes:

i've definitely realized that the only way i'll progress in certain exercises is slowly and correctly.

the pullup: like most women, it's not something i can do right now. it doesn't comfort me that i'm among the majority though... i just want to be able to do a damn pullup! i figure i'll need at least year of consistent training, or else a dramatic weight loss, in order to accomplish this goal.

the squat: my hip and glute muscles are too tight for me to do this exercise corrently with anything but the lightest bar on my shoulders. it irks me that my legs are only strong within a certain range of movement, but so it goes. since i think that squats are one of the best and most essential exercises for leg strength, i won't be giving it up for something like leg press... which i CAN do comfortably and with a fair amount of weight.

all it takes is time and patience, i guess. :)

u need to start somewhere.... or start OVER somewhere... u cant just jump right in and begin again right where u left off... some people need to understand that its not all about how u look when u lift, whether its lifting heavy or whatever... start slower and lighter and ull see how quickly u can build right back up to where u stopped... and if ur just starting to work out, check ur ego at the door. cuz everybodys gotta start somewhere... @ the beginning ;)

i've definitely realized that the only way i'll progress in certain exercises is slowly and correctly.

the squat: my hip and glute muscles are too tight for me to do this exercise corrently with anything but the lightest bar on my shoulders. it irks me that my legs are only strong within a certain range of movement, but so it goes. since i think that squats are one of the best and most essential exercises for leg strength, i won't be giving it up for something like leg press... which i CAN do comfortably and with a fair amount of weight.

all it takes is time and patience, i guess. :)

why dont u do a lil extra stretching to help the range of movement in ur legs... that might also help when u add weight.

Originally posted by linabina

why dont u do a lil extra stretching to help the range of movement in ur legs... that might also help when u add weight.

i run to the gym (1/3-1/2 mile?) to warm up, do light stretching between sets, and stretch thoroughly when i get home from the gym. it's something that will improve over time.... no quick fixes there.

people forget that u go to a gym to get in shape...not everybody started out diesel or tone...please ppl drop the weight alil do it right..u gonna hurt urself...

the guy i used to work out with is practically a pro BB...and i used to feel like shit having to lower the weight ..then i remebered he wasnt ALWAYSSS this way ..he had to work at it..just like i have too..made my life so much easier