Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Detour/U Turn Bars

I also posted this in the OneWay Bar thread:

http://www.detourbar.com

INGREDIENTS: Designer Whey Protein™ Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, PDUF Whey Protein™ Isolate), Water, GlycerLEAN™ [99.7% USP Glycerine, L-Leucine, L-Taurine, CLA], Chocolate coating [sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Nonfat Dry Milk Solids, Cocoa Powder Processes with Alkali, Whole Milk Solids, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Salt, and Artificial Flavor], Peanuts, Caramel, Soy Protein Isolate, Gelatin, Calcium Caseinate, Inulin, Peanut Flavor, Rice Flour, Salt, Sucralose (Splenda® Brand), Potassium Sorbate. PRODUCT CONTAINS PEANUTS.

Glycerine = UNLABELED CALORIES

I heard the company is beign sued rite now. Someone sent a bar to be tested, and it came back with different results than are on the label. If I remember correctly it came back with only like 19g of protien.

I only use them for meal replacements. Nothing else. They are perfect for when I have no time to make something or am sick of shakes. As far as the 19g grams of protein goes, if that is true that is really fucked up and then of course I would never eat them again

Yeah.................just be sure you know, Detour and Uturn bars HAVE NOT been meeting label claims when tested by independent laboratories

They had more sugar

More Fat

Less Protein than the label says

Like that was a big surprise

Originally posted by ou812

Yeah.................just be sure you know, Detour and Uturn bars HAVE NOT been meeting label claims when tested by independent laboratories

They had more sugar

More Fat

Less Protein than the label says

Like that was a big surprise

:mad:

Detour Bar Claims:

protein- 32g

fat- 9g

carbs- 21g

sugar- 6g

Lab test sponsored by an independent retailer:

http://www.1fast400.com/store/article.php?&articleID=9&products_id=&osCsid=1e554b15813407a191f5935409984e9b

Detour Bar Results:

Protein - 32g

Total Fat - 10g

Carbs - 22g

Sugar 14g

Lab test sponsored by a Competitor

Detour Bar Results:

protein- 19.5g

fat- 13.2g

carbs- 34.2g

sugar- 19.4g

well, were the calorie amounts the same in the tests even if the % of nutritional components were not?

if so, i guess you can still be "safe" eating them as a snack as long as you're only counting calories.

btw, i like zone bars. :>

Actually I was wrong about what detour claims. This is their real claims

Total Fat - 11g

Saturated Fat 5g

Total Carbohydrates - 27g

Sugars - 10g

Protein 30g

A guess this is a little closer to the actual results from the other test results

A little more info about glycerine...

Glycerine is an alcohol derivative. Alcohol is the reason Michelob Ultra Lite only has 2.6 grams of carbohydrates, but actually has 95 calories.

This fun fact was brought to you by the letter G. :tongue:

Originally posted by rackham

A little more info about glycerine...

Glycerine is an alcohol derivative. Alcohol is the reason Michelob Ultra Lite only has 2.6 grams of carbohydrates, but actually has 95 calories.

This fun fact was brought to you by the letter G. :tongue:

First thing....If the glycerine is included in the total calorie count for Michelob Ultra then why wouldnt it be included in the total count for detour bars?

Second, the Glycerine that is in detour bars is found in GlycerLean which is something developed by Next Nutrition:

GlycerLEANâ„¢ [99.7% USP Glycerine, L-Leucine, L-Taurine, CLA]

About GlycerLean:

GlycerLEAN is an amazing metabolic activator designed to help increase protein synthesis, and deliver more nitrogen to muscles, increase lean mass, decrease body fat, and improve antioxidant activity.

It seems as if GlycerLEAN is a good thing but is made up primarily of glycerine(which I don't know much about). So now I am very confused Is it good or bad:confused: :confused:

You're right, they do count glycerine in the calories -- I was wrong about that. But the real question is whether they should be counting it as a carb.

Glycerine can be metabolized to glucose in the liver, especially in the absence of other carbs, such as... on a low-carb diet! Also, some diabetics have reported blood-sugar spikes from these bars. That's why so many people think it should be considered a carb.

Basically, if you're low-carbing, there's a good chance that glycerine will convert to glucose in your liver... which means that these bars aren't so low-carb after all.

If you're counting calories and being strict with your diets, you really shouldn't be touching any of the bars out there. Nearly every one, from the original Myoplex and Steel Bars to the Detour and Pure Protein bars have at one time or another come under fire for label claims.

Practically all bars out there have glycerine; it helps keep the bar moist before it ends up in your belly. Extra calories? So what. If it keeps the taste and you buy more, it's done its job.

Stick to proven sources, like real food and whey protein. It's much harder for you to go wrong there

Originally posted by trueqwest

Practically all bars out there have glycerine; it helps keep the bar moist before it ends up in your belly. Extra calories? So what. If it keeps the taste and you buy more, it's done its job.

The concern is for people who think the bars are suitable for low-carb diets. Studies have shown that's not always the case.

Stick to proven sources, like real food and whey protein. It's much harder for you to go wrong there

True, but bars are very convenient. I keep a box of Zone bars in my drawer at work. It's much easier than having a blender at my desk and all the ingredients to make a shake.

when u think about it... when people work and are out all day and cant sit down to a healthy home cooked meal, sometimes those bars come in handy as a meal replacement... regardless of carbs and all that other stuff, its still healthier than stopping for mcdonalds on ur lunch break :idea: