Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Got Water In My Engine!!!!

HAZE

I went to the car wash yesterday and while the guy was cleaning out the inside, I noticed my car was idling wierd. Then I got in it and stepped on the gas and it sounded like I was driving a boat. Water got into my AEM Intake and I guess got into the engine. This happened once before, but all I had to do was drive it kinda hard and get up to 6000 RPMs and it was OK. Not this time. My car stalled twice on the way home and I kept reving it high and it won't go away. I haven't driven my car yet today. Hopefully with the hot weather, the water evaporated. I know this can't be good for my car, but how badly did I damage the engine? I'm definatley getting an AEM Breather valve now so this doesn't happen again. I hope I didn't fuck my engine up too bad.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Originally posted by johnnyrevs1

don't drive it!!!

happened to a few people i know and they blew their engines :eek: :eek:

OK, I just started it up and it's still idling the same way.

WTF do I do?

HELP!!!!

Originally posted by DarrellG

OK, I just started it up and it's still idling the same way.

WTF do I do?

HELP!!!!

take it to a mechanic

they'll have to pull out the spark plugs and crank the engine to get the water out

and they'll also have to drain all the oil out since it'll be contaminated with water

Originally posted by johnnyrevs1

take it to a mechanic

they'll have to pull out the spark plugs and crank the engine to get the water out

and they'll also have to drain all the oil out since it'll be contaminated with water

Your lucky the car still drives... Water is not compressable. The cylinder walls, pistons, or head will fail first. If you have a little bit of watter sitting on top of the pistons or in the head the car will not fire right. Hopefully this is the problem. Dont' drive the car at all.

This is why I went with a short "warm" air intake instead of the cold air version.

Why would the oil contain water? The only way I think this could be possible is if the head lifted. But then there would be all sorts of other problems, smoking, etc.. On second thought are you thikning that the water sneaked by the rings into the crank case?? That may be a possibility.

Either way.. goodluck!

Originally posted by teklord310

Your lucky the car still drives... Water is not compressable. The cylinder walls, pistons, or head will fail first. If you have a little bit of watter sitting on top of the pistons or in the head the car will not fire right. Hopefully this is the problem. Dont' drive the car at all.

This is why I went with a short "warm" air intake instead of the cold air version.

Why would the oil contain water? The only way I think this could be possible is if the head lifted. But then there would be all sorts of other problems, smoking, etc.. On second thought are you thikning that the water sneaked by the rings into the crank case?? That may be a possibility.

Either way.. goodluck!

i'd drain the oil just to be on the safe side :hat:

this is why only ricers by cold air intakes.

is that 1.764760203 horse power worth it?

there is soo many other ways you can gain horsepower safely.

if i was you, i would get rid of the aem intake and get a short ram.

and as for the water getting into the oil, it isnt possible. lets just hope you fix it soon....

I would never run a CAI that mounts real low on a street car but thats just me. If i was you i would take the plugs out crank the motor by hand , changeg the oil , maybe replace the plugs while your at it. ANd its 1.7492948 hp from a cai

OK, here's the verdict:

I just went out there, took my spark plug cover off and checked out the ignition. Nothing was wet. Then I disconnected the battery and re-connected it and it's back to normal again.

:D PWEW!!!!

Here's what I think happened:

Some water got sucked into my intake manifold and messed up the air/fuel mixture which threw off my ECU, the ECU made my car idle very low and when I disconnected it, I reset it back to normal.

Luckily, no air got past the intake manifold.

I ordered an AEM bypass valve so this won't happen again.

Oh and for the record, the CAI adds 8.1 HP and 11.3 ft-lb of tourque. :D:cool:

http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-520%202001%20Hyundai%20Tiburon%202.0%20CAS.pdf

if your engine gets waterlogged, that's a good easy way to make the whole thing go *pop* and seize the engine.

a good idea would be to throw a plastic bag over your air intake when you wash it... and an even better idea would be to WASH IT YOURSELF, when it's cold and NOT running.

next time it chokes like that, DON"T just fire it up and rev it hard. Unbolt your intake piping, drain any excess water, and if you can, try and get a towel or something that can absorb into your intake manifold and see if there's stuff pooling around in there.

the absolute worst thing you can do to a naturally aspirated engine is to throw large quanities of water at it and run it hard.

with turbo engines, water injection is good... but not with your car.

Originally posted by cintron

with turbo engines, water injection is good... but not with your car.

water injection is awesome... but you would want the water AFTER the turbo... if a water hits the turbine, it causes damage...

Originally posted by joeg

water injection is awesome... but you would want the water AFTER the turbo... if a water hits the turbine, it causes damage...

Not always true...

The setup on boss's turbo drag bike feeds into the carb before the turbo. No I/C either.

And FYI a cold air intake and warm air intake will dyno the same. Secondly never believe a manufacturer's dyno info... who knows what else they did. The intake on my 3G supposedly gives 9hp, if you look at the stock box you'll see why.

Originally posted by teklord310

Not always true...

The setup on boss's turbo drag bike feeds into the carb before the turbo. No I/C either.

And FYI a cold air intake and warm air intake will dyno the same. Secondly never believe a manufacturer's dyno info... who knows what else they did. The intake on my 3G supposedly gives 9hp, if you look at the stock box you'll see why.

thats odd... i've heard of people killing their turbos.... i guess it depends on the car...