Clubplanet Nightlife Community

with all this retro garbage going around, cool idea

joeg

not sure how well it'd sell... but what if they took a classic old car, and just made the body out of fiberglass, and updated the engine with fuel injection and some other technology that cars are using today... but basically kept the same car?

some of those old cars really topped the scale... imagine them weighing half, with more refined power... now THAT would be hot...

opinions??? :confused:

Crash Standards, EPA ratings, Structural integrity, comfort and style...

If someone brought back a Hemi Cuda, a few people might buy it but the majority of roadgoing dickheads would rather lease a new 2004 Altima so they can shove EZpass in it, spill coffee all over the interior during business trips and listen to pop music on the spectacularly mundane 300 watt sound system, all the while pretending that the massive land barge they're driving is really an F1-inspired performance rocket since they bought into the corporate sales pitch that large sedans with poor handling ability and a big engine make for excitement, danger, and other things taboo in the world of daily drivers, squealing brakes, dirty front rims and stop and go traffic.

Guest saleen351

puffy daddy would love this thread...

take hits from the 80's make em sound so crazy....:D

lol...

well the EPA stuff would be no problem with current technology... and i think they can find some middle ground between tons of steel and fiberglass that would pass crash tests...

i don't know, it was just a random thought i figured i'd throw out there...

Originally posted by joeg

not sure how well it'd sell... but what if they took a classic old car, and just made the body out of fiberglass, and updated the engine with fuel injection and some other technology that cars are using today... but basically kept the same car?

some of those old cars really topped the scale... imagine them weighing half, with more refined power... now THAT would be hot...

opinions??? :confused:

so you want more cars like the new T-bird and PT Cruiser then?

i posted a thread about a russian firm rebuilding soviet era luxury cars using BMW chassis and engines a while ago. quite a few people here flamed the car because the engine was inefficient or something.

on saleen's kit car thread, i posted a link to a firm making Porsche replicas using Subaru engines and transmissions. The firm also makes Jaguar replicas using Chrysler parts, and Shelby Cobras with Mustang parts.

one can do a conversion like that on their own. I have seen many cars from the 30's and 40's (hot rods and non-hot rods) that have new engines and transmissions, as well as power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning.

check www.regaltbird.com for brand new '55 Tbirds

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

so you want more cars like the new T-bird and PT Cruiser then?

i posted a thread about a russian firm rebuilding soviet era luxury cars using BMW chassis and engines a while ago. quite a few people here flamed the car because the engine was inefficient or something.

on saleen's kit car thread, i posted a link to a firm making Porsche replicas using Subaru engines and transmissions. The firm also makes Jaguar replicas using Chrysler parts, and Shelby Cobras with Mustang parts.

one can do a conversion like that on their own. I have seen many cars from the 30's and 40's (hot rods and non-hot rods) that have new engines and transmissions, as well as power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning.

check www.regaltbird.com for brand new '55 Tbirds

no, i'm not talkin like... stupid retro-look cars... i'm talking the SAME car as back then, only instead of 5000lbs of steel body, they use like fiberglass, and make the same car, only it weighs like 1/4th of the original, and has newer technology under the hood (fuel injection)...

but from the outside, it would look like the exact same car... it just would drive 1000x better...

so like, take a 57 chevy for example... that thing weighs more than a bus... make it using todays technology, and you go from like 6000lbs to like 2500lbs... and instead of whatevery big block or small block they had then... just throw in an ls1 or something comparable with newer technology... plus abs, power steering, etc...

like, imagine if that car was produced by today's standards...

just a random thought i had...

Would cost too much to develop and push out the door. Not enough demand. The majority of Americans don't care about performance. It might be feasable if they stick a Cavalier 4 banger in there, cheap insurance too. They would still be designing a car from scratch. Nothing can be kept from the old car except the general lines and shape.