Clubplanet Nightlife Community

USA compared to Western Europe .....

mursa

I think that it is somewhat unfair to compare such a global superpower as the US against 3rd world countries or countries in crisis (economically-politically) .

In the US we eat , in the US we have "freedom" while in mongolia you get ur hand chopped off for stealing your neigbors Goat .....etc .

***A much more fair DEBATE into which is a more FAIR-FAVORABLE society is a USA vs WESTERN EUROPE . And the pros & cons associated with each of them .

I'm more or less putting the Question out there , and will respond accordingly to the responses that I see .

the US economy is obsessed with productivity to the point that despite a growing GDP, the unemployment rate continues to rise.

France and germany are at the other extreme, coddling workers to the point where their economies cant grow anymore.

the UK, Ireland, Spain, Portugal and the Scandinavian countries are in the middle, and their econimies, while sluggish, are still growing.

the UK has a lot less frivolous lawsuits due to their legal system. As a result, car and professional insurance policies are much cheaper.

National healthcare systems are a major plus.

National pension systems are facing failure in both western europe and the US.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

the US economy is obsessed with productivity to the point that despite a growing GDP, the unemployment rate continues to rise.

you're looking at too small of a scope of time and claiming that the economy always operates this way.

National healthcare systems are a major plus.

Nationalized healthcare systems are expensive and risky for everyone. Why do you think everyone who can comes to the US for medical treatment?

Norway was rated one of the best countries in the world to live in. Saw a special on NGC last night that talked a bit about it. Supposedly has an insane surplas every year. Free healthcare and social security. Nobody goes hungry.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by acmatos

Nationalized healthcare systems are expensive and risky for everyone. Why do you think everyone who can comes to the US for medical treatment?

for more specialized type of treatment, yes, people do come to the US, but then again there is no universal health care coverage in this country. far too often have i seen people choosing not to go to the doctor for a simple check up because they do not have $$$ or insurance. as a consequence their health worsens to the point they finally make it into the ER where they can not be denied services.

your in miami, go to rural parts of FL and see what type of health care is available for the people out there and ask them if they can actually afford health insurance or to pay for a private physician.

I would also like to add that in my humble opinion .....European society is much more healthy and friendly to live in . The people seem more genuine and deep , while here in the US I have found that alot of people are simply superficial and very "cut-throat"(egotistical) in their attitude and way of being .

I find Europe to be "more free" (liberal) than the US in many aspects . And yet is has much less Crime & Drug abuse problems than the US .

Even though I do like the US , I still think of the day when I finish my educational career and go back to Europe .

Originally posted by mursa

I find Europe to be "more free" (liberal) than the US in many aspects . And yet is has much less Crime & Drug abuse problems than the US .

um hum...they also DONT have firearms for the masses, like in the US...i think they should legalize some (i said some) drugs...but def. not many of them...

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

um hum...they also DONT have firearms for the masses, like in the US...i think they should legalize some (i said some) drugs...but def. not many of them...

I find is kinda stupid to be living under LAWS & amendments (ex. the right to bare Arms) that were needed 200 yrs ago , todays world is different and American law should adjust with the times .

A perfect example of the DRUG WAR (usa) VS European Drug Reform is to look at the statistics of the most drug liberal country in europe ( Holland) with the USA .

- much much less Violent crime

- and surprizingly much less drug Addicts that in the US , per capita.

Even though there are many drugs that I will never touch , I think that FREE WILL should prevail . You should do whatever you wanna put in your body , BUT with major consequences if you invade-harm anyone elses rights .

Thankfull many countries in Europe are seeing that the drug problem is a HEALTH issue and not a criminal one .........and many countries including my own (portugal) are changing to the "holland model"

I agree Europe is a lot less conservative than the US...however, I have to refute your first point regarding Holland and USa (drugs). There could very well be other factors that can contribute to less violent crime. Most of the drug related violent crimes here in the US center around "harder" drugs, which, I'm sure, are still illegal in Holland (eg, coke, heroin, etc).

Originally posted by mursa

I find is kinda stupid to be living under LAWS & amendments (ex. the right to bare Arms) that were needed 200 yrs ago , todays world is different and American law should adjust with the times .

A perfect example of the DRUG WAR (usa) VS European Drug Reform is to look at the statistics of the most drug liberal country in europe ( Holland) with the USA .

- much much less Violent crime

- and surprizingly much less drug Addicts that in the US , per capita.

Even though there are many drugs that I will never touch , I think that FREE WILL should prevail . You should do whatever you wanna put in your body , BUT with major consequences if you invade-harm anyone elses rights .

Thankfull many countries in Europe are seeing that the drug problem is a HEALTH issue and not a criminal one .........and many countries including my own (portugal) are changing to the "holland model"

Originally posted by raver_mania

I agree Europe is a lot less conservative than the US...however, I have to refute your first point regarding Holland and USa (drugs). There could very well be other factors that can contribute to less violent crime. Most of the drug related violent crimes here in the US center around "harder" drugs, which, I'm sure, are still illegal in Holland (eg, coke, heroin, etc).

They are illegal , but the penalties are not nearly as severe as they are here in the US ...............they put enphasis on TREATMENT-HEALTH rather than exagerated penalties (criminal) .

They have a park in Amsterdam I believe where the Heroin "shooter" gather to shoot up . Aswell as treatment houses through out the country where they can do the same in safe-sanitary conditions .

Have you ever heard the saying ...

.. The more forbidden the fruit , the more people want it ! :idea:

no

productivity is great, but in moderation.

like i said before: no productivity isnt good either.

i don't know.. maybe you can explain what you meant here...

"the US economy is obsessed with productivity to the point that despite a growing GDP, the unemployment rate continues to rise."

your logic implies, that rising productivity is one cause for the rise in unemployment...

also, i'm curious why it is you think national healthcare systems are "a plus"..