Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What would you liek to hear more of on 1035 the new KTU

Originally posted by mhaze107

The reason you won't be hearing any good dance music, or good music in general on KTU is that they're owned by ClearChannel. This is the same corporation that owns z100 and hundreds of other stations around the country. This is the same corporation that pushes the use of recorded voice tracks instead of live DJs. This is also the same corporation that "decorates" America's highways with billboards. (Notice a trend?) ClearChannel is only out for making advertising revenue. Good music doesn't make money (but apparently a disco revival does...).

omg... dont even get me started on z1oo, with paul cubby fucker bryant and that roundhead zubilee zoo extra... wtf... these ppl are like 50!~ and they act like 15yr olds... corny corny corny... get new voicejockeys in the morning on z1oo gdamn, i hate the radio... the only quality slot on the radio right now and it even isnt that great is english muffin on 92.7...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by jandspoon

Dearest KTU and Rizzo,

Please no more commercial shit on KTU, make it a cool undergorund station, atleast on sat nights. And stop having these ghetto asssholes promoting shows at surf club, thank u in advance.

Seriously, tipper would be great to have on, perhaps hector romero, satoshi, db, frankie knuckels u know.

im tired of this hard house crap thats all over ny make it stop.

What a great screenname!! I fucking LOVE "right in the night"...my favorite track ever! just thought I'd share :tongue:

Originally posted by mhaze107

The reason you won't be hearing any good dance music, or good music in general on KTU is that they're owned by ClearChannel. This is the same corporation that owns z100 and hundreds of other stations around the country. This is the same corporation that pushes the use of recorded voice tracks instead of live DJs. This is also the same corporation that "decorates" America's highways with billboards. (Notice a trend?) ClearChannel is only out for making advertising revenue. Good music doesn't make money (but apparently a disco revival does...).

All media companys are in the busnuiess of making money. It's not just Clear Channel that uses vouse tracking, syndication, and automated programming. Others (also in NY and the NY Suburbs) like Emmis Broadcasting, CBS/Infinity, Cox Media, all own multiple stations too and do the same thing.

Everyone can say "Oh I hate the KTU Jocks at this club or that club". Well guess whay that is because the club paid the station to be there, they don't just show up.

Your view and my view of "Good Dance Music" is not the same as what the general publics opinion is. As long as Louie DeVito is making CD's of course there will be some songs that will make it to national rhythmic radio, because according to billboard thats what people want to hear. If it were Deep Dish GU Toronto then you would probbably hear a song from that cd on the air.

KTU also has a new Program Director who has only had this post for a few months. Give the guy a chance he's trying to build the station into something great! But it takes time. Your not gonna go from KTU to Radio 1, or Kiss100 overnight its going to take a while but be patient it will get better.

1) ktu's program director said something to the effect of "even though i come from an underground station i will not be changing the format of KTU"

2) how the fuck can any self-respecting human call themselves ghoumba johnny?

3) the reason why ktu plays the same song over and over again is because EVERY SONG YOU HEAR ON THE RADIO IS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR by the record labels. the process is called "payola" look it up. this is why the radio is so dull.

4) every song played on ktu starts off like it will be really nice - and then some cheesy guido vocal comes in "theres a stranger in my house" - WHY THE HELL IS THAT SONG STILL BEING PLAYED?

5) have 1hr format gener shows - 24 hours a day. i hate nothing worse then hearing a great freestyle track and then having my day shot when they play amber right after. Its awful. devote 1hr to one dj with one style, then have your commercial break, and then another dj with another style to mix it up. leave the commercial shit to webster hall. bring on the techno (and i don't mean "repetitive dance music", i mean TECHNO), bring on the dnb, bring on the breakbeat, bring on the serious funky house. erick morillo should have his own show, not balthazar.

6) broadcast from parties that aren't overrun by guidos and b&t losers. any party where the dj says "all the mamacitas look slammin" has got to go. every night of the week in new york there are amazing parties with amazing djs - and KTU does itself a serious disservice by ignoring them.

ah who the hell am i kidding? there are more guidos then music enthusiasts.... forget the radio! stop being forced to listen to what someone else plays. think for yourself.

peaz,

rob

I dunno about anyone else, but the best dance music on the radio is 92.3 late Saturday nights or whatever with Liquid Todd, always flip that on driving home. . . 103.5 is in my 3rd set of presets, i hate that fucking station, at least z100 is up front with their suckiness . . .

If I leave here tomorrow

Would you still remember me?

For I must be travelling on, now,

'Cause there's too many places I've got to see.

But, if I stayed here with you, girl,

Things just couldn't be the same.

'Cause I'm as free as a bird now,

And this bird you can not change.

Lord knows, I can't change.

i cant stand Ktu ..i hate hate hate there morning show..that guy boltizar (or whatever his name is) makes me fucking angry ...that laugh!! o god thats gotta be the fakest thing ive ever heard...and playing things like the camel toe that ridiculous..that shouldnt even be a real song..and u cant tell me secretaries are requested that song to be played its embarressing ...and every song is a remix...do somthing change it up give the station a face lift..its a lost cause...i used to like it wen they would play dance late night from a different club each nght ..that was good somthing fresh besides a ashanti remix again

im sorry but in order for me to listen to KTU again you would have to change the whole station down to the title ..... :D

look at party 93.1 in south florida. they have space 34 broadcasts of good djs spininn live on that particular saturday night and global dj broadcast that showcases electronic dance music djs on sunday night. We need something like that, something that broadcasts lets say whatever main event at the time ie: paul van dyk @ roxy or armin van buuren @ roxy or even like johnny vicious @ whatever, just a show on saturday nights that starts at 12 and ends at 4 with music playing @ that particular club. We also need a show just like the global dj broadcast in new york. If we had broadcasts like that, at least it would be a start. My $.02

Gotta agree with "the new" KTU sucking. Sorry, 7 years on the radio no longer makes you new. Was the original 92 KTU even on the radio that long? For God's sake, even BLINK 102 is better and they play garbage on purpose!

NYC hasn't had a decent dance radio station since HOT 97 went all hip hop. Scratch that, it hasn't been good since it was HOT 103. Sadly, nothing will ever change so long as huge media companies run the radio stations.

So assuming that KTU will never get their act together, and that they keep all their current "personalities" (thus elliminating them from the rest of the talent pool), it's time for another station to step up. If two hip hop stations can survive (even though one sucks just slightly less than the other) then certainly more than one dance station can survive.

Ideally, you would have a few premiere shows like UK's Essential Mix which would feature world-class DJs. Then you would have a lot of shows like LIR's Island Underground where knowledgable DJs actually interview the artists in the studio and talk about issues in the dance music scene. But do it every day with multiple genres, the way talk radio does it. They would also serve as discoverers of new and up & coming DJ talent and have "open decks" type shows. The on-air DJs don't even need the faux charisma of the typical jock. Just announce the tracks and let the music speak. And please, no need for the MCs interrupting the live show from clubs. Everyone knows there are attractive people there and shoutouts are so 1994. And as for morning shows, just don't. Prank calls and "cheating-significant-other setups" are for pop crap stations with low intellect listeners. A good 2-hour long mix show will get anyone's morning started right.

Just let the music play.

I think there is a huge opportunity for investors and advertisers in this market. The public will embrace it without a doubt. As the saying goes something like "if you make it they will come".

Sorry to be so long-winded...i've been bottling this up for 7 years!

Originally posted by brooklynkid

NYC hasn't had a decent dance radio station since HOT 97 went all hip hop. Scratch that, it hasn't been good since it was HOT 103. Sadly, nothing will ever change so long as huge media companies run the radio stations.

remember before that it was hot 103.5... i remember hearing one of the first "rave" tracks on there it was "here comes the sun" vocals on some crazy ass beat i prolly still have the tape someplace in my garage... (i used to tape friday and saturday night radio b/c they used to go to different clubs and play some of the hottest shit... carbon, mirage, palladium, america, can name so many...)

So assuming that KTU will never get their act together, and that they keep all their current "personalities" (thus elliminating them from the rest of the talent pool), it's time for another station to step up. If two hip hop stations can survive (even though one sucks just slightly less than the other) then certainly more than one dance station can survive.

so true... and a very valid point...

with local radiostations for the lack of better term "SUCKING" im surprised that sattelite radio hasnt picked up, they offer stations from around the globe with more varieties than who knows what... however in the same vein im surprised that when hot 97.1 used to do that whats hot or whatever its called in other places, and would play the bomb songs from different areas that didnt stay...

how come the person who posted this, hasnt written back any thoughts or comments???

Originally posted by dgmodel

how come the person who posted this, hasnt written back any thoughts or comments???

it's obviously an intern who is probably been ordered to do this on the various boards. He or she probably won't reply because all this chat puts them in a defensive position...and what could they possibly say? Surely they are just looking for "bullet points" for an upcoming staff meeting. Sadly, nothing short of bulldozing the studio and sending the existing staff to another planet will help them now.

i was thinking the same, however was hoping for someone with a lil more clout, and would take some of these opinions to heart and make something out of that station with all that money behind them, they really have potential but i guess itll continue on in this fashion since we are the minority and the old, outdated, out of the loop, diconnected ppl who still listen to ktu are the majority...

satellite radio hasn't taken off because (a) it costs money and (B) it costs money. the sad fact of life is that most people don't care what they're listening to and yeah it may be hypnagogic drivel that has been bought and paid for by the corrupt "industry of cool" but its free and you don't have to think about it much.

when satellite radio becomes standard with new cars, and it costs $29.95 to pick up a satellite receiver with an alarm clock to keep by your bed, and you can have satellite radio earphones to listen while jogging then maybe something might happen.... but until then it costs money and why pay if you don't really care?

I think there is a huge opportunity for investors and advertisers in this market. The public will embrace it without a doubt. As the saying goes something like "if you make it they will come".

Sorry to be so long-winded...i've been bottling this up for 7 years!

it comes down to basic enonomics- the CLIENTS (the people who buy commercial time) know that 18-25yr old males are not the ones running out to but their products - its the older demographic that they target. So now if you throw on a station that caters to a demo that nobody wants to try and sell to- who is going to advertise on it??

Party105 on LI does very well numbers wise (in their rather small coverage area) but i'm sure their revenue per listener is minimal compared to that of KTU/Z100/Hot97, etc

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

What a great screenname!! I fucking LOVE "right in the night"...my favorite track ever! just thought I'd share :tongue:

Thanks Vixen.

My favs. are Stella and Paradise Garage.

Perhaps invite me to your upcomming gig, welcome back.

Did you see Maudy over there?

actually that's not true - 18-25 is a highly lucrative market.... we are the ones who have a lot of liquid capital and both the desire and ability to spend it. the older set has families, mortgage, car payments, etc. not as much money to throw around on gratuitous dance music eh?