Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Greddy Type S installed...

joeg

got the flanges in the mail today from a guy on vortex who makes them (wolk's wagon)... very nice... just swapped out the awful stock DV for the type S from my eclipse... very noticible difference between shifts... not really that loud, its actually quieter than it was on my eclipse...

Originally posted by atomicapples

im surprised you feel a difference.

bov dont really do shit...

you acually lose power..

the stock one was a piece of shit... and probably leaky...

this is my 2nd car in a row with a POS bov...

and how do you figure i "lose power"???

just to clarify, its routed back into the intake like the stock one... not to the atmosphere. (which WOULD cause a fuckup in the a/f mix and i would lose power... not to mention be loud and ricey)

Originally posted by joeg

and how do you figure i "lose power"???

just to clarify, its routed back into the intake like the stock one... not to the atmosphere. (which WOULD could a fuckup in the a/f mix and i would lose power... not to mention be loud and ricey)

Yeah thats what i was going to say,

good to hear u finally got that in.. i 've got pics for you.

losing power would be in the response of the BOV - how quickly its able to open and close in order to maintain constant boost pressure. If the greddy is slower than the stock BOV, then you'll spend more time pressurizing your pipe than you will ingesting the pressure you need.

my BOV "farts" because it snaps open and closed so fast.. Sounds kind of gross but it's helping make power.

the stock one seemed slow... respool was a bitch...

no question this was an upgrade...

the "honking" was fucking obnoxious... and was pretty disturbing to anyone who heard it...

what i really need to do, is relocate it from the IC pipe right after the turbo to the ic pipe right before the TB... but i'll probably wait till i get a FMIC and new piping before i bother... plus its a bitch to get at...

which BOV do you use, btw?

b/c the blowoff valve has little to do with spool unless you get a kickass unit like the HKS SSQ

the Greddy is known to tear its diaphragm easily and leak above 15psi. Just giving you a heads up to a lot of known problems with that bov

the greddy does NOT leak at 15psi... my old stock one on my eclipse did and thats why most people went to greddy...

there were people running 25psi on the greddy with no problem...

and it made a noticable difference over my stock valve... so either 1) my stock one was leaky and it was a good upgrade or 2) the stock one just sucks and it was a good upgrade...

if stock BOV's were good, there wouldn't be an aftermarket...

Greddy:

DSCF0007-vi.jpg

Stock:

DSCF0036-vi.jpg

the stock dsm 2nd gen junk plastic BOV leaks at 9 psi (they all do), i upgraded mine to a 1st gen BOV at first, which is good to around 20 psi before it leaks, and then to a Type S which is where I'm at now and should hold up to 30 lbs of boost (i run 23 lbs on the street)

the Type S allows you to vent to atmosphere if you want too as it's adjustable unlike the stock BOV's...which gives you the sound everyone likes.

also - for faster opening and closing of the valve you can attach a second hose from another boost source to the longer nipple on the backside of the unit helping it actuate quicker....

mine works like a champ

but as far as leaking the stock 2g BOV leaks at 9 lbs, uncrushed. and the stock T25 runs outta steam at 15 psi....

venting to the atmosphere will not cause any a/f problems however (WITH an adjustable BOV, not stock), and is arguable (in some circles) that external venting is better for the car when you get to the higher boost ranges as you dont have X amount of compressed air being shoved back into a turbo that is trying to spin down and shed compressor speed and boost (albeit ever so quickly) between shifts.

EDIT - and 'yeah what he said' - free up your exhaust and get a better turbo if youre worried about spooling quickly.. I have a 3" dp off of a Big 16G and I'm fully spooled around 3400 RPM's, definately up from the stock T-25's 2900 RPM's, but well worth it :D :D :D :D :D

generally the faster you spool the more bottom end you'll have, and the slower you spool the more top end you'll have (referring to differences between smaller and bigger turbos, etc, not turbo 'problems'), although spooling in general just means how quickly your turbo takes to make full boost.

ill sacrifice a bit of bottom end for top end anyday! :cool: :cool:

the venting issue has been talked about ad nauseum on dsmtalk... on a dsm, if you vent, the MAS still thinks the air is in the system, and thus your A/F is off...

oh, and the T-2slow is good to about 17, depending on your setup/gas...

i'm glad i don't have that turbo anymore, lol...

my car spool's really fast, actually... (tek, i believe you and your bro actually commented on it) it was just the respool between shifts that seemed weak... but after the type S install, that seems to be gone...

oh, and yes, the Type S has a 2nd nipple which works very well... i had it setup on my DSM like that... right now i only have 1 in on the TT, i'm trying to figure out where to tap for the 2nd... theres no nipple on the turbo housing like the t25 had...

Originally posted by joeg

my car spool's really fast, actually... (tek, i believe you and your bro actually commented on it) it was just the respool between shifts that seemed weak... but after the type S install, that seems to be gone...

Yeah the TT definetely spools mad early. Once you get a boost guage on there u can verify. It builds boost way early, getting on the gas above 1800rpm will build positive manifold pressure causing the bypass valve to dump upon lift. Definetely not used to that in the 944. The 944 doesn't build full boost till 3500-3800.

i agree with cintron...

hks is the best bov on the market... why?

all the other ones uses a push release valve, causing it to leak

hks uses a pull release, in return alot hard for it to leak.

im sorry, but i would never buy any greddy mechanical product if my life depended on it. only thing that is good is the electronics...

Originally posted by atomicapples

i agree with cintron...

hks is the best bov on the market... why?

all the other ones uses a push release valve, causing it to leak

hks uses a pull release, in return alot hard for it to leak.

im sorry, but i would never buy any greddy mechanical product if my life depended on it. only thing that is good is the electronics...

greddy uses push AND pull... it has 2 nipples...