Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Can a ‘terror futures market’ work?

Originally posted by PFloyd40

but as a market only open to intelligence community officials from all over the world, i think it would be a fantastic idea... it would theoretically be much better if anyone could particpiate IF they were doing so altruistically... unfortunately, thats easier said then done..

In that sense , i agree.

we can always hope that things may head that way someday :)

I think it would be a good idea b/c it would give analysts in the NGO, private and academic sectors the ability to quantify their analyses.

It takes a long time to read journal articles and theses, but this would be a direct way to read the mood of a very qualified resource that is outside of the USG.

hey pfloyd, you should've qualifed your post heading with: "pundits w/ no understanding of free-enterprise, the invisible hand, and fair market valuation need NOT respond"

i've jumped on this a bit late, but this really is a discussion on the "practicality and implication of a theoretical market-driven valuation & assessment index of politically unstable regions", but somehow, the words "betting" and "terrorism" got thrown in there and people are up in arms.

pfloyd pretty much summed up all the relevant points, so i'll just leave it at that.

distasteful? perhaps. but those who have argued against FutureMAP seemingly have missed its point and are only reacting to public outcry.

in any event, i will say one thing: it's one helluva ingenious and imaginative out-of-box idea by the architects of the initiative.

and gmcook: money is NOT the root of all evil. POVERTY is the root of all evil. but that will have to be another discussion for another day.