Clubplanet Nightlife Community

new gap ad's

marcid21

...with Madonna and Missy Elliot.

What do you guys think? There's been a lot of controversy about Madonna's role nowadays . . . slumping record sales and all....

comments?

IMHO, I think Madonna is amazing.....truly a style icon. It was just two or three years ago that tracks like "Music" and "Don't Tell Me" were still getting pulled into the scene. I really want to think of this commercial as just something "fun". Gap sells jeans....it's what they do. Are they really going to look at Madonna for being resposible for lost sales? I don't know....it's times like this that I wonder exactly HOW MUCH of an effect advertising has on sales. I always say, in the end you're just as good as your product. :blank:

Gay And Proud

Can Madonna Still Move the Merch?

By RUTH La FERLA

oes she still have it? The Gap seems to think so, staking its fortunes on Madonna's power to ignite a fashion trend by showcasing her in its fall advertising campaign. The new ads present the diva, now 44, dressed in a ribbed white tank top and jaunty newsboy cap, her neckline and arms freighted with diamonds. Harper's Bazaar is playing the same odds, splashing a photograph taken at the Gap shoot on its September cover.

Underlying the Harper's Bazaar gamble is the assumption that "Madonna's new look," as the magazine is calling the star's interpretation of gangsta style, can still generate the kind of heat that once transmuted her every gesture into a fashion megatrend. But some industry insiders would not bet on it. A few even question whether Madonna, whose latest CD, "American Life," had disappointing sales, still has the clout to, in retail parlance, move the merch.

For some the Gap ad is risky business. "It screams, I'm not old, I'm not old," said David Wolfe, creative director at the Doneger Group, which tracks fashion trends. "I don't think Madonna has the mass appeal she had when she was truly the age that she is trying to look," Mr. Wolfe maintained.

Few believe that the style world's pet chameleon can spearhead a trend the way she did three years ago, when her album "Music," with its image of Madonna in a cowboy hat and Western shirt, prompted legions of acolytes to trot out their spurs. "Anything she touched or did made waves," said Sam Shahid, the art director behind campaigns for Abercrombie & Fitch and Calvin Klein. "I don't think that holds right now. The same audience of young people that didn't buy her record are not going to buy the clothes."

For Kim France, the editor in chief of Lucky magazine, Madonna remains an influence, but only to a point. "She's on the kids' radar but not in the way that Beyoncé is," Ms. France said. "Still, she's definitely interested in staying there." Which is perhaps why in the Gap campaign her star is hitched to that of Missy Elliott, whose urban-aggressive stance she appropriates, along with Ms. Elliott's diamond festoons.

Some, however, believe the ploy might work. Durand Guion, the women's fashion director of Macy's West in San Francisco, believes that Madonna's vixenish posturing can still sell clothes, albeit indirectly. "It's no longer, Madonna wore this look, so I'm going to wear it," Mr. Guion said. "But she still has the power to validate a trend."

Surprisingly, Madonna seems to have retained her status with some young style setters. "She's a cultural reference, like Andy Warhol," said Drew Elliott, the promotions director of Paper magazine, who was in Pampers when Madonna first alighted on the club scene. "People my age see her as successful, partly because she has been around so long," he said. "She has a stamp of approval that's important, even if her record sales are down. She's still viewed as an icon."

Originally posted by tastyt

Cut n' paste the article, please. :tongue:

I haven't seen the ad on tv... I just saw a sign in the window yesterday w/her and Missy Elliot. I don't really get it. I'm not sure why Maddy is doing ads for Gap. :confused:

*edit* - pasted.

Yea....i mean, it's not like i "get" why her and Missy are in it together....but I can dig the formula of using celebs.....

Originally posted by marcid21

*edit* - pasted.

Yea....i mean, it's not like i "get" why her and Missy are in it together....but I can dig the formula of using celebs.....

Oh no, I totally understand why Gap would want to use celebs in its ads. I just don't get why Madonna's doing it. I mean- it's the Gap, c'mon! Weird.

Hands down, a stupid desciosn by Madonna

I love her, n for her to Ruin one of her great '80 s songs,

n sing bout buyin GAP jeans

WTF?!??1:knife:

she DOENST need to do this...

bout 10 yrd ago she was the "face" of Versace,

n now she fucked up one of her OWN songs

to try to sell Gap products!! :puke:

How the Mighty have fallen.....:unhappy:

Long live the '80s !!

PEACE MIAMI!!!

Originally posted by marcid21

...with Madonna and Missy Elliot.

What do you guys think? There's been a lot of controversy about Madonna's role nowadays . . . slumping record sales and all....

comments?

IMHO, I think Madonna is amazing.....truly a style icon. It was just two or three years ago that tracks like "Music" and "Don't Tell Me" were still getting pulled into the scene. I really want to think of this commercial as just something "fun". Gap sells jeans....it's what they do. Are they really going to look at Madonna for being resposible for lost sales? I don't know....it's times like this that I wonder exactly HOW MUCH of an effect advertising has on sales. I always say, in the end you're just as good as your product. :blank:

I agree...The commercial looks like it was a fun time

And besides...Madonna has done far worse than gap commercials (SWEPT AWAY)...& everyone still loves her.....She can do whatever she wants.....Her popularity will NEVER die

And I don't think she will be the cause for falling sales...The Gap sucks...it's about time people realize that

I still havent seen that commercial..... I bet its good. Madonna would make anything semi-fashionable look yummy :D

Aside from Cher, I dont think there is any other female that can work the present hyper generation like they can. ..Ok,..maybe Mariah Carey...(sexxy ass byeotch)

Originally posted by solbeam

I've seen them....

Its not about the products, its about the branding...

Good point, I agree....The Gap is looking to promote an image all about fun, self-expression, and style....With that in mind, Madonna and Missy Elliot are two great choices....

I don't think Madonna's slowed sales has anything to do with this issue.....Regardless of her sales decline, she's an icon whose image is everything the Gap wanted for their new campaign

bingo!!

Madonna's decline in sales has to do with her music not being up to par with her celebrity

Gap has struggled for yrs to put a balance between their loyal "khakis and oxford" consumer and the new trendy people that dominate retail today...the attempt is hit or miss every season but I see this madonna/missy thing as beneficial...

at least it has people buzzing...