Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Night Clubs And Promoters Need To Wake Up!

aj2234

NIGHTCLUBS AND PROMOTERS NEED TO WAKE UP AND START BOOKING OUR LOCAL TALENT WHO HAVE BUILT THE SCENE DOWN HERE FOR YEARS! STOP BOOKING SO MUCH OUTSIDE TALENT BASED ON THEIR MARKETING TEAMS AND NOT THERE SKILL LEVEL ! (i/e OAKENFOLD)

WH HAVE D.J'S HERE THAT ARE WORLD CLASS AND TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD BUT GET NO BOOKINGS OR RECOGNITION HERE IN SOUTH FLORIDA!

EXAMPLE 1: CRAZE : BEST TURNTABLIST IN THE WORLD PERIOD!

DOESN'T GET BOOKED BY THE BIG TIME HIP-HOP PROMOTERS EVEN THOUGH NO ONE IN THE WORLD CAN TOP WHAT HE DOES ON THE DECKS! INSTEAD THEY KEEP BOOKING THE SAME BORING HIP-HOP D.J'S (i/e) KID CAPRI

EXAMPLE 2:STRYKE : ONE OF THE BEST TECHNO D.J.'S -PRODUCERS IN THE COUNTRY! GOES TO FRANCE, GERMANY , SANTO DOMINGO, ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE AND ROCKS IT. BUT DOESN'T GET ENOUGH BOOKINGS HERE AT HOME. INSTEAD CLUBS BOOK SAME D.J.'S OVER AND OVER AGAIN . (i/e) DAVID PADILLA , MICHAEL STORMS

I COULD KEEP GOING BUT YOU GET THE POINT

WHAT'S UP MIAMI?

hip hop "dj" s :blown:

all tehy do is talk over the music

"I wanna give a shout out to my nigga ralph",,, etc etc

U dont produce music u just play it when it comes

to hip hop

get outta here

PEACE MIAMI!!

HOUSE IS THE LANGUAGE OF THE GODS

PEACE MIAMI

Guest brwneydtrouble

I think that miami is slowly starting to realize that we have some world class right here in our back yard. Hence Space's All Stars nights, Cooljunkie's DJ contest, and great parties at places such as Jazid, Venu, Life, Mi Casa, Nerve and many more, that really showcase our local talent. We are lucky here in miami to have such a diverse musical community, but it seems to me that a lot of people are very closeminded when it comes to certain things. This whole Trance vs. House garbage......Hip Hop sucks..... has anyone even taken the time to realize that aside from the mainstream JUNK, all the lines between these genres have been steadily blurred?

DJing and turntabilism started with hip hop, has anyone ever seen the movie Brown Sugar? (Props to my dear friend for letting me see it on Saturday...;)) One of our very own beloved locals started spinning Hip Hop at a very young age....and I have yet to see any of my friends' CD cases that have NO hip hop or R&B in it. I personally love it, just not the kind of crowd it attracts in a club at the beach. Until I went to Life last Thursday, that is. I was reminded why I loved the soul that is in GOOD hip hop, and it brought back very fond memories of roller skating at Hot Wheels, watching the guys break dance, and the movies that I grew up watching like Fame and Breakin as a young dancer.

Which brings me to breaks and break beats. Old school (and new school!) breaks, puma jackets, kangol hats, and a comfy pair of adidas, pumas and now diesels....getting out on the floor just letting go, giving it all you've got, and pouring your heart out in your moves.......Anyone ever heard of Planet Funk, James Zabiela and the like? Throw in a little house and a sexy groove.......maybe some techno for an edge?

What I am trying to say, is that everything is starting to merge, and the lines between house/trance/techno/breaks and even hip hop are not as clear as they have always been, and if people are going to keep on with the narrow mentality of one sucks and the other is better, then you will be left in the dust my friends.

Part of the reason for this problem is the mentality in Miami. The "trend mentality", is what I call it. One group says that its chic to go to one place, that one type of music is IN, and then everyone has to jump on the bandwagon, all dressed the same and wearing the SAME Dolce and Gabana cologne. Come on people, grow a little bit of character and identity.

Am I the only person that can go to a ballet to enjoy it, a salsa club to dance till I can't anymore, Life on thursday for hip hop to sing along to almost every song, Venu on friday to battle with the best of the b-boys, Space and Jazid to listen to my favorite house DJs, and then top it all off at Van Dyks on sunday nights with some live brazlial jazz and a sexy samba?

I couldn't agree with you more, A.J......and we're cheaper too! :tongue:

I can't believe that just by typing the word "hip-hop" you got bashed.....and you're talking about Craze!!...he's not only been turntablist champion multiple times but also spins drum and bass and pretty much whatever the fuck he wants...

Originally posted by aj2234

NIGHTCLUBS AND PROMOTERS NEED TO WAKE UP AND START BOOKING OUR LOCAL TALENT WHO HAVE BUILT THE SCENE DOWN HERE FOR YEARS! STOP BOOKING SO MUCH OUTSIDE TALENT BASED ON THEIR MARKETING TEAMS AND NOT THERE SKILL LEVEL ! (i/e OAKENFOLD)

WH HAVE D.J'S HERE THAT ARE WORLD CLASS AND TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD BUT GET NO BOOKINGS OR RECOGNITION HERE IN SOUTH FLORIDA!

DOESN'T GET BOOKED BY THE BIG TIME HIP-HOP PROMOTERS EVEN THOUGH NO ONE IN THE WORLD CAN TOP WHAT HE DOES ON THE DECKS! INSTEAD THEY KEEP BOOKING THE SAME BORING HIP-HOP D.J'S (i/e) KID CAPRI

EXAMPLE 2:STRYKE : ONE OF THE BEST TECHNO D.J.'S -PRODUCERS IN THE COUNTRY! GOES TO FRANCE, GERMANY , SANTO DOMINGO, ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE AND ROCKS IT. BUT DOESN'T GET ENOUGH BOOKINGS HERE AT HOME. INSTEAD CLUBS BOOK SAME D.J.'S OVER AND OVER AGAIN . (i/e) DAVID PADILLA , MICHAEL STORMS

WHAT'S UP MIAMI?

Because people tend to think big names and mean $$$ and crowds (and sometimes they're right). Not too many places give new or unknown talent a chance. As I'm sure people are learning...just because a DJ has a big name (most likely because he produced a phat track), doesn't mean they can move the crowd the same way when djaying live (not naming names). Robbie Rivera though...tracks...live.... unbelievable! He's caused many cramps in our legs from dancing all night!:getdown:

PS... Even though I'm not into hip hop like I used to be....and I've heard from many people Craze has phat skills, unless Kid Capri has fallen off, it's hard to believe that he's boring compared to all these horrible wannabe dj's I hear in clubs around the country.

...on another note...whatever happened to doing more than mixing one song into another (acapellas....scratching....bass, effects machines....u know...using your imagination)...and that's not just talking about hip hop dj's...club dj's as well! :banghead:

Whew!.....back to reality :(

HSP

Hot clubber spots, pics,dancers,employment at.... www.hotspotpromos.com

Guest saleen351

stuands....

euro trash killed the scene

and now the scene is over.....

there is no hope.... nothing will bring it back, it's like disco, i'ts dead forever!!!!

WHAT'S UP MIAMI?

what's up is foremost we have more quality talent, then venues for them to spin at. when you consider most clubs in Miami, already have on average two permanent residents. not to mention quite a few without residences, who play at multiple venues around town such as Edgar V, Styrke, Jimmy T., etc. also events such as the cooljunkie contest, and the space all star events;allow an opportunity for locals to shine. as a whole I think, the club owners and promoters due a fine job, in bringing local talent to the forefront. marketing one’s self should also not be overlooked either. finally dance music is international, thus the talent pool should reflect the same. I hardly believe our local talent, is being overlooked at any level. the market is simply very competitive. ;)

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

Which brings me to breaks and break beats. Old school (and new school!) breaks, puma jackets, kangol hats, and a comfy pair of adidas, pumas and now diesels....getting out on the floor just letting go, giving it all you've got, and pouring your heart out in your moves.......Anyone ever heard of Planet Funk, James Zabiela and the like? Throw in a little house and a sexy groove.......maybe some techno for an edge?

What I am trying to say, is that everything is starting to merge, and the lines between house/trance/techno/breaks and even hip hop are not as clear as they have always been, and if people are going to keep on with the narrow mentality of one sucks and the other is better, then you will be left in the dust my friends.

Part of the reason for this problem is the mentality in Miami. The "trend mentality", is what I call it. One group says that its chic to go to one place, that one type of music is IN, and then everyone has to jump on the bandwagon, all dressed the same and wearing the SAME Dolce and Gabana cologne. Come on people, grow a little bit of character and identity.

Am I the only person that can go to a ballet to enjoy it, a salsa club to dance till I can't anymore, Life on thursday for hip hop to sing along to almost every song, Venu on friday to battle with the best of the b-boys, Space and Jazid to listen to my favorite house DJs, and then top it all off at Van Dyks on sunday nights with some live brazlial jazz and a sexy samba?

WoW! Trouble have you been saving that one up and need to get that off your chest. But I am honestly feeling you on all of your post. This is by far one of the best posts I have read on here. I like all music, I have even line danced to country before, ( well I liked a girl that like country, so we went dacning). Since I moved here over a year agoi have let myself expierence it all. I will be honest and say some of my best nights have been @ Honey on Thursdays for the college crowd and DJ Mike E Simm (Same promoters now @ Life on Thursdays). But I also like going to Maze, Lime Bar, Crobar, Opium , and Prive. THey all have something to offer just depends on the mood im in. Now I really stoked that Laudy is pciking up with Venu, Allure and soon Loft. I would go out to more places and more variety if i didn't work so much, but hey I do what i can and try and support the local scene.

AJ, keep doing your thing in Laudy and the word will spread within the next month or so and the place will be packed.

Craze plays every Tuesday at the Marlin for free.

Check it out!!

jb

p.s. I promote local and out of town dj's. Out of town are like one night stands, you get one chance to hook up and thats it. Local dj's are like a steady girlfriend. You take it for granted until its too late. Catch 22 here. Out of town brings hype. Plain and simple. Nights out at clubs are not only about music, there are formulas to consider. Hype being a major part of the equation. You could be like Crobar and over hype local dj's like " Miami's master DJ" or :Miami super star dj. . ." etc. Comes across as fake to me. So it not that easy to figure out.

Hope this helps your understanding of all that needs to be considreed

It's not necessarily the ability to enjoy everything that will save the scene. I think hip-hop blows. I'll leave a room that is playing it...then again it's not necessarily the music that alienates me from that room, it's the whole crowd.

Miami tends to be very crowd centric...I've heard plenty of people pass on a good DJ just because they don't care for a crowd at a venue. If anything, I enjoy shaking up places...if Danny Howells was to throw down at Mynt, I'd be over there in a second, and probably beheading the first Euro-trash fucktard to look down his nose at me. I had a blast last year when Bill Patrick played BED on a Wednesday...I just loved the looks I got from those overdressed peacocks inside as myself and my crowd came in and regulated. My favorite part was when that crazy drunk chick busted up the fashion show...(was that Cyn?) But needless to say, Miami's a very crowd-oriented place...I don't go to hip-hop events mainly because I hate the crowd.

but being picky about dance music is a little too picky for me. If a house DJ artfully blends in a few trance tracks, I could care less. If I'm seen at a PvD set, I'm not gonna deny it...I'll even admit to enjoying some of the material. I'm not one of these house/techno/trance purists really. Grant it, some of each genre is annoying, but for the most part I could care less.

Is Miami trendy? Yep. But it's that trendiness that enables people like you (in general, not one specific person...) to go out and maintain the clubbing lifestyles that you do. The tourists come down, they and their money part ways, and the cycle continues...in other words, the tourist crowd subsidizes the whole local scene. I'm all for on an economic level for the trendiness to continue...if not we'll have to go back to getting money from tourists the hard way, as some German folk found out in the mid 90s! :eek:

Angel's right though, our local boys need representin'...

Plain and simple

The crowd in Miami doesn't give a S**t

Look AT Danny T

It took for him to move away from Miami

For anyone to realize that he is not just a great DJ but also a great Producer

This has been happening down hear for a long time and it will continue for a while.

When promoters and club owners star to give the Locals that have been maintaining

This so called seen afloat for the last 10 to 15 years maybe we all will have a chance.

Than again it's not How you DJ but who you Know!!!

:idea: :idea:

i like all types of music.....so i wll defend hip hop at least here i will.................

craze is one of the most talented d.j's on this planet.....if any of u have ever seen him when he does turntablism...u know what i mean.....:eek: .....he went on his drum and bass thing but , didnt really work for him....but when it comes to turntablishe is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

I think that miami is slowly starting to realize that we have some world class right here in our back yard. Hence Space's All Stars nights, Cooljunkie's DJ contest, and great parties at places such as Jazid, Venu, Life, Mi Casa, Nerve and many more, that really showcase our local talent. We are lucky here in miami to have such a diverse musical community, but it seems to me that a lot of people are very closeminded when it comes to certain things. This whole Trance vs. House garbage......Hip Hop sucks..... has anyone even taken the time to realize that aside from the mainstream JUNK, all the lines between these genres have been steadily blurred?

DJing and turntabilism started with hip hop, has anyone ever seen the movie Brown Sugar? (Props to my dear friend for letting me see it on Saturday...;)) One of our very own beloved locals started spinning Hip Hop at a very young age....and I have yet to see any of my friends' CD cases that have NO hip hop or R&B in it. I personally love it, just not the kind of crowd it attracts in a club at the beach. Until I went to Life last Thursday, that is. I was reminded why I loved the soul that is in GOOD hip hop, and it brought back very fond memories of roller skating at Hot Wheels, watching the guys break dance, and the movies that I grew up watching like Fame and Breakin as a young dancer.

:clap: Well said!

HSP

hot clubber spots/pics/dancers/employment at ... www.hotspotpromos.com

Originally posted by hard155

Plain and simple

The crowd in Miami doesn't give a S**t

this is the biggest crook of shit, and you call yourself a DJ. the miami crowd is a very multi cultural audience. winning them over isn't easy. let me clue you in. Oscar G started spinning in the red room of the old space. he did it at the height of the trance movement. by virtual of his skill level, persistence, and shear talent. he was able to rise above, and make a name for himself in a town, which didn’t not really know who he was. he took House Sessions and built it from the ground up.. Edgar V followed almost the same scenario, rising above George Acosta who dominated the trance scene at the time.

people like you and the displaced northerners; who seem to think they invented clubbing, and have the best scene in the world. annoy the fuck out of me. you shit on the scene, and expect people to do fucking cartwheels to support you. how about you get off your ass, and go out and make a name for yourself. if you want support from the scene, and want to foster a change. then get off your ass and do something about it; moving forward with a positive attitude. or sit back with the rest of the whiners and bitch about how the miami crowd doesn’t give a shit, the scene is dominated by euro dj’s, the scene is dieing, people don’t know the name of dj, etc.

Wake The Fuck Up The Miami Scene Is The Shit! Only The Strong Survive! :idea:

i totally agree with u...we need young fresh local talent...but clubs keep booking the same djs...when those guys are "over the hill" and "out of touch with the scene"...what will we have? the up and comers, but they arent getting a shot to shine right now...i agree with u on Stryke, i personally love his style and have supported him many times...but the problem with Craze (from what i hear) is that he loses the crowd...i guess he plays a more "underground" style of hip hop...and we all know most of Miami likes that commerical Jay-Z stuff...so he might not pull a hip hop crowd or he loses most of them durinig his set...

It's not that complicated...people go where there is good music and good people and good atmoshpere....you need it all...

Space has superb music and atmosphere that's why they pack it in...and they book quality DJs.

"Euro Trash"....blah...let's get over that one please...let's not propogate the word...

European DJs DELIVER, because they come from a continent that has breathed dance music for decades now, they still innovate and progress...

Yes there are great US DJs too...but they don't PROGRESS...

Chicago...same sound as 10 years ago...

Detroit....same sound as 20 years ago....

I do agree that hip hop needs to take a hike though...

Originally posted by djvacom1977

I agree there are too many clubs booking outside talent not giving the up coming talent a chance. A bit discouraging but still I believe if you love the music your time shall come.

The way it works is the local DJ should get a resident spot at the club, and the headliners usually are booked from out of town.

If the local resident knows his\her stuff, they should be able to prove themselves week after week and gather a following and move from there. After all, that's how the big names got started themselved in the first place.