Clubplanet Nightlife Community

straightening your hair

magic straight perm (done at asian hair salons).

$300.

hair is completely straight, no need to blow dry or use products for about 8-9 months.

i absolutely love it (my 2nd time getting it done).

i went to the beach, ran my hair under cold water for a few minutes, let it air dry and headed straight to a fancy dinner spot.

hair was immaculate. :aright:

Originally posted by kitty19

$300.

hair is completely straight, no need to blow dry or use products for about 8-9 months.

i went to the beach, ran my hair under cold water for a few minutes, let it air dry and headed straight to a fancy dinner spot.

Yea I heard that it was great.....I can't wait till my hair grows out some more so I can do it....only bad part is that you can NEVER curl it.....and sometimes I like my hair curly....but I think it would be worth it never frizzing again:D

$300.

does it matter the length of your hair??? i have really long hair, will they change me more? and do you know an exact place i can get it done? i wanna do it like, maybe.... TOMORROW!! :laugh: how long will i have to be at the salon???

Originally posted by euphoricgirl

what products you use to straighten your hair? I got some wack ass thing and it barely works.

This is what I use :

1st you get a metal (weighs about 2 lbs) comb. Then you stick it in an open flame till its hot like a muthafucka :flame:

Next, you get a handful of greasy hair jelly and you vigorously rub it in yo hair.

You then get a hot towel and wrap it around your shoulder.

Then get a sista to grab the hot comb and start combing the nappy ass hair to perfection....

Result..... :afro:

P.S 2 maintain the look, you carry a comb in your back pocket to maintain the look.

Or sometimes you get some sick ass cornrows for a few weeks..same result :D

Holla ;)

my hair has a slight wave to it, not too curly. this is what i use:

matrix sleek look (shampoo, conditioner, straightening balm)

or

bedhead control freak shampoo and conditioner and rusk st8 anticurl/antifrizz lotion

babybliss ceramic flatiron

deep condition once a week w/ rusk masque

yea, you definitely can't curl your hair for awhile, but i think it's worth since you don't have to do anything with your hair for 8 months and it'll stay slick straight!

so here are more details:

you will be at the salon anywhere from 3-5 hours (depending on length of hair). after your hair is treated with the chemicals, a good salon will put in something called coating. this tightens the bonds in your hair, makes it shiny and very smooth and helps reduce the appearance of split ends and such.

the cost is $300+. if you have really long hair the price will obviously increase to $400-500. but try haggling (and be nice!). ;) or the least they can do is keep the same price, but throw in things like a trim, shampoo/massage, etc.

i go to a korean salon in queens called bon jour (along northern boulevard in flushing). if you are in the city, go to 32nd street (aka korea way). any of the korean salons there will be able to assist you - there are TONS there up on the 2nd/3rd floors of the buildings.

after it's done, you can't use conditioner for about a month (i don't know why). but it's ok, you really don't need it b/c your hair is straight and very manageable.

let me know if you have any more questions/concerns. good luck! :aright:

Originally posted by euphoricgirl

$300 is a lot!!!

if you take into consideration all the money you spend on straightening products and all the time you put into straightening your hair, 300$ for something that will last 8-9months and is hassle-free is definitely worth it.

yea, you definitely can't curl your hair for awhile, but i think it's worth since you don't have to do anything with your hair for 8 months and it'll stay slick straight!

so here are more details:

you will be at the salon anywhere from 3-5 hours (depending on length of hair). after your hair is treated with the chemicals, a good salon will put in something called coating. this tightens the bonds in your hair, makes it shiny and very smooth and helps reduce the appearance of split ends and such.

the cost is $300+. if you have really long hair the price will obviously increase to $400-500. but try haggling (and be nice!). ;) or the least they can do is keep the same price, but throw in things like a trim, shampoo/massage, etc.

i go to a korean salon in queens called bon jour (along northern boulevard in flushing). if you are in the city, go to 32nd street (aka korea way). any of the korean salons there will be able to assist you - there are TONS there up on the 2nd/3rd floors of the buildings.

after it's done, you can't use conditioner for about a month (i don't know why). but it's ok, you really don't need it b/c your hair is straight and very manageable.

let me know if you have any more questions/concerns. good luck! :aright:

good info girl. thanks a lot. i need to go there and see what they can do about this hair... mine is past my mid back and completely out of control. :laugh:

Originally posted by nifer

if you take into consideration all the money you spend on straightening products and all the time you put into straightening your hair, 300$ for something that will last 8-9months and is hassle-free is definitely worth it.

True. Is that safe though, what exactly do they do?

it's not any more harmful to your hair than getting a regular perm. i don't know what the exact ingredients are, but obviously it's a chemical process used to treat your hair.

and yes, $300 seems like a lot - but divide that by 8 months = you're look at $37.50 per month you're spending on not having to use products, blow dry, or any of that shit. well worth it.

everyone compliments me on how shiny my hair looks and how well done my hair looks all the time. no matter how much effort i've put into it in the past, it never looked like i stepped out of a salon when i rolled out of bed. and now it does. :aright:

i go to a korean salon in queens called bon jour (along northern boulevard in flushing).

Yes I am from Queens also and I go to this Korean place on Bell Blvd at least once a week for both a blowout/flat iron.Anyway, they have the magic straight perm there for $150 which I always see girls having done..So 1 day I asked these 2 girls in there, both having it done for the second time, what their opinions on it were and their results were exactly how u described them to be!

( I was also considering it myself but I talked to the hair dresser there and she recommended I did not get it done bc my hair isn't really curly at all to begin with, just an annoying kink - and being that I get highlights religiously, I'd be better off with my weekly straighten lol )

Hotbarbie, where do you go on Bell Blvd to get your hair done? Is it on the 2nd floor of a building across from Slate/Byzantio? Just curious. Koreans are a small community in Queens. ;)

The first time I got my hair straightened, I got it done for $150 also.

But it was really crappy. My hair was damaged afterwards and so I am weary of places that charge so little (unless I was in Hong Kong or Korea).

I'd go ahead and make the investment and spend the extra dough. As I was getting it done for $300, the stylist pointed out the damage that was done to my hair previously - and that was over 2 years ago!!

Hotbarbie, where do you go on Bell Blvd to get your hair done? Is it on the 2nd floor of a building across from Slate/Byzantio? Just curious. Koreans are a small community in Queens. ;)

The first time I got my hair straightened, I got it done for $150 also.

But it was really crappy. My hair was damaged afterwards and so I am weary of places that charge so little (unless I was in Hong Kong or Korea).

I'd go ahead and make the investment and spend the extra dough. As I was getting it done for $300, the stylist pointed out the damage that was done to my hair previously - and that was over 2 years ago!!

i am going to singapore in FEB. can i get it done there for cheap maybe??

Hotbarbie, where do you go on Bell Blvd to get your hair done? Is it on the 2nd floor of a building across from Slate/Byzantio?

No its actually further down,I'd say give or take 10 blocks,on your left-hand side (if Byz is to your right) next to the C-town..Its called "One Basket"

Originally posted by hotbarbiedoll

No its actually further down,I'd say give or take 10 blocks,on your left-hand side (if Byz is to your right) next to the C-town..Its called "One Basket"

Oh ok, I know where that is. It's near the Voodoo Lounge (I went to a rave there once, haha!) and the defunct Victorian Lounge (it's a korean joint now? weird).

Yes, Singapore I'm SURE will have it for really cheap. I am told that even if you pay $150-200 you can get it at the best places, with the highest quality of shit, at least in Taiwan, HK, Korea.

i guess i'm one of the lucky ones, cuz i have pin straight hair after a 5 min blow dry... i much rather have waves or curls but whatever, that's life.

i AM, however, looking for a good straightener. i'm growing out the bangs i had cut a few months ago and they're to the top of my jawline now... they're a pain in the ass when i wear my hair down cuz they kind of do whatever they want, but i borrowed my friends cheapie straightener to tame them and it worked wonders. anyone know of one that won't totally kill my hair? any faves, etc? thaaaaanks

yeaps, my hair looks like that! ;) but not as long and i got it cut and styled so it's a lot more wispy at the ends.

my other girlfriend got it done once 1 year ago and for some reason it still makes her straight! she just needs to blow dry it a little bit and it looks just as great as when she got it done.

man, i'm giving my hair secrets away!!! use it wisely girlies. :aright:

so it's the thermal reconditioning treatment from Asia (japan?)?

either way, I'm sold. I have straight, wavey and ringlets---I'd really miss those ringlets, but I have to wear my hair up all summer just so it looks nice. Otherwise, it's frizzy

thanks for the advice...good thing there's a korean neighborhood just minutes from my pad..I just wish I knew where to start

:hat: <---until I get to the salon