Clubplanet Nightlife Community

how long have you been working out? and other questions

wideskies

how long have you been working out?

have you ever taken a significant (6+ months) amount of time off?

what kind of goals did you start out with, and how have those goals changed?

how long did it take you to reach your initial goals?

how have your methods of working out changed over time, if at all?

are you working out for overall health and fitness, or for any other particular reason?

as for me...

how long have i been working out?:

when i was a teenager, i would go to the gym for a couple of weeks at a time but i never had a plan nor increased my strength much at all, do to the sporadic nature of my workouts. it's only been about 10 months since i began making an effort to lift weights regularly, to plan my workouts ahead of time, and to write down my results.

taken time off?:

i think that my workout partner and i stopped going to the gym for 3-4 months this last spring. i don't remember why... i think it started out with one of us having a cold and we just didn't go back. we're back now, though.

goals?:

besides just looking forward to lifting more/heavier in general, i wanted/want to be able to do basic movements (squat, deadlift, bench, pullup, dips) with my bodyweight. those are still my goals. i figure it'll take at least another year.

reaching goals?:

it's rare that i don't improve at each workout, so although my goals are rather long-term, i enjoy the fact that i reach mini-goals pretty much every time i lift.

workouts changing over time?:

yeah, i'm actually working out! heh. more weights, less cardio though...

reasons?:

general fitness and (initially) weight loss were why i wanted to spend time at the gym, but the weight loss side of it has turned out to be pretty much being determined by what i eat rather than by the exercise (no real surprise, i suppose).

happily, i've found that having a regular exercise program, and lifting weights in particular, has had a positive impact on my life in general. when i work out consistently, i eat healthIER, drink more water, care more about sleep habits, and feel more positive about non-exercise related parts of my life.

Originally posted by wideskies

I started lifting sophomore year of high school and made pretty impressive gains all through college, but then I took over 2 years off and lost it all... :( I'm back into it now, though! :D

Yup, 2 years (see above). Never again!

Started out just wanting to look big, but now it's more a combination of looks+fitness.

Not long at all when I was in HS... I had a lightning-fast metabolism and ate everything I could get my hands on!

I've added cardio for my health, and my weight training is more intelligent -- no more 2 hour workouts for me! :aright:

are you working out for overall health and fitness, or for any other particular reason?

I want to both look and feel strong and healthy.

How long have you been working out?

I started in the Spring of my freshman year in college

Have you ever taken a significant (6+ months) amount of time off?

Throughout the past few years, I've taken time off but nothing as long as six months....At the most, maybe a few weeks at a time.

What kind of goals did you start out with, and how have those goals changed?

I started out just wanting to lose weight I had gained that Fall (about 8-10 llbs) I had never worked out, been to a gym, etc. so I started out just walking on the treadmill, going on the stepper, just basic cardio. I also for the first time, started to look at my diet, and pay more attention to fat, carbs, protein. I started cutting out junk food, etc.

How long did it take you to reach your initial goals?

By the time my freshman year was over, I had lost the weight, plus a little more - I was so happy, I was in the best shape I had probably ever been in thus far in my life. But as the summer continued, I started reading up on fitness and nutrition and started adding weights.

How have your methods of working out changed over time, if at all?

I am constantly reading fitness magazines for women, so I am always changing how I lift weights. Also, over time, I have added much more lifting to my routine and have cut back on all the cardio I use to do.

Are you working out for overall health and fitness, or for any other particular reason?

I work out mainly for my physical health as well as my mental health. When I am going to the gym regularly and eating well, I am so much happier - I sleep better, feel better, and have so much confidence and sanity!

I've been working out since I was a freshman in college. It's been a little over 5 years now.

The most amount of time I have ever taken off was 2 months when I fractured my arm. Actually, I would still do cardio, but couldnt touch weights.

I started out just wanting to lose some weight cuz I was a lardass. I dropped 50 lbs in 8 months. From then on, I've just been trying to gain as much lean muscle as possible. Over the past years, I've gained about 40 lbs of muscle. I just wanna gain a few more lbs of muscle and I'll be a happy man.

Initially, just losing weight didn't take long. (see above). Gaining muscle is an ongoing process.

I'm constantly changing my workout routines. Just to change things around a bit. It gets boring doing the same thing every week. I havent changed my diet much though. High protein, low carb.

I started out just wantin to look good, but I've grown addicted to it. I just love the feeling you get after a good workout knowing that you've done some good for your body and health as well.

always been athletic played varsity sports all throughout highschool so i was always in good shape but never cared about what I ate or how much I drank and never picked up a weight unless my coach made us ....but as far as doing it on my own and actually caring... I'm a rookie started working out a yr and 8 months ago ....i originally went into it just to lose weight took me a yr to lose 20lbs.ugh!..then at the beggining of the yr i was still a fatty so i decided to get serious no drinking for 6 months everything was health health health...lost 40 lbs in about 2 months then just maintained for the rest only ate and drank if i was on vacation ..so needless to say i took lots of those ..ahah

the most ive taken of was the three weeks that just past

just wanted to ~ not be a fatty ..but in that process i realized how to work out and how to realize gain's in a certain time frame..so now its all about proper size

a yr and 2 months for my first goal/gains....now its all about being happy with myself

in the beginning i was total rookie..i just wanted to put up allot of weight no care for form..didnt even care that there was different ways to do things...just more more more

it makes me feel better about myself...it is deffinetly about getting healthier but when it really boils down to it..its about looking good and confident..which flows over to everything in my life ...work, sexdrive, ambition, friendship, dedication and above all a better person to my fam.... i think its mademe a better person all around