Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  

the downside of some of these paddleshifters?

so i've been hearing nothing but babble about the new TT's "DSG" system on the 3.2 n/a engine (250hp)...

but someone brought up something about the amount of power it can handle...

i don't know anything about the bmw or mercedes ones... but are these trannies inherently limited?

(i'm not talking tiptronic garbage, which can't handle any power... i'm talking paddleshifters... dual clutch style...)

anyone know a lot about these setups?

(and i'm not talking true f1 style... i'm talking the street versions in regular cars... obviously a lambo or a maclaren is going to have no problems....)

If you're not talking "true" tiptronic, then you're talking about a wimpy fancypants automatic tranny with a manual shift option.

there are very few TRUE sequential paddleshifters out there, most being on ferraris and porsches, and a sequential transmission option popping up in the MR2 Spyder.

Mostly everyone else is just an auto that's been jazzed up to make the daily commuter feel like their boring lives haven't been complete wastes of time and space.

Originally posted by teklord310

Wanna be system...

I donno actually.. is it a clutch based system like BMW's SMG? Or did they just take the tiptronic and slap paddles on the steering wheel.

re-read my post... "DUAL CLUTCH"